• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Possible to make hip shooting worse??

602RAF_Puff

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Just seems to take the edge off the realism for me when guys hip shoot all the time { there are some clans who do practice this :) } Would it be possible to increase the random aim to extreme limits to make this harder to accomplish? Maybe make it a switchable for admins to select arcade or realism for hip shooting?

Just seems to take the edge off the realism for me when guys hip shoot all the time { there are some clans who do practice this :) } Would it be possible to increase the random aim to extreme limits to make this harder to accomplish? Maybe make it a switchable for admins to select arcade or realism for hip shooting?

hip shoting is "more or less" ok. Just make Ironsights much more accurate, so people dont have to think about it realy, and using the Mps from hip should stay, as in real life a "emergency".

Upvote 0
theres nothing wrong with the hip shooting. it takes plenty of time to get used to and is by no means easy... why would the bullets go off randomly when the gun is pointing in a set direction? if you dont like being hipped maybe you should practice it more so you can hip back

what, so we will all be playing unrealisticly? there is nothing in RO i hate more then smg-wielding players just running around gungho rambostyle. Since RO tries to be as realistic as possible, and you wont see soldiers going rambo in real life, IMO there should be done something more about hipshooting.
i have no idea what, but thats why im not a gamedeveloper.

Upvote 0
Hmm, hip shooting is a skill....test where hipped weapon shoots, get small felt dot and place on screen where the test shows you, then move the screen so that the dot is over what you are shooting at. SKILL!

On a serious note, CQB w/ an SMG I get it....bolter should be a rare luck shot occurance in game, but it seems to be rather common.

Upvote 0
To the people in here that did play the mod for some time before Ostfront got released but still think something should be done about hipshooting.

Don't you remember when Ostfront first was released no one could hit anything from the hip with much precision since the free aim area was increased to Ostfront from the mod.
Now after over a year of Ostfront people have learned and many are coming back to the accuracy from hip as they had in the mod.
This means that unless COF is implemented or hipshooting is disabeled people will always adapt and manage to master hip shooting no matter what is done.

To those trying to use the "realism" argument:
How realistic is it to not be able to hip shoot?

All in all using IS on all guns still gives you more accuracy but people tend to forget that a PPSh throws 900 bullets/min at you which means that some shots are bound to hit, even if you close your eyes and just press the button. And people tend to forget all those times the enemy rifleman missed his hipshot and got himself killed, but they remember the few times they got killed.

Upvote 0
I like the iron sights and the state of our current hip shot accuracy as is. I always do both. If I have the time to set up with the iron sights I will, but if I want to clear a room I will run in and steamroll the room and move forward. The realism argument doesn't really make any sense here because to change where the bullets go randomly does not hold with the realistic nature of the games weapons, and to disable the hip shot is not an valid solution based on realism. Soldiers are taught to fire their weapons from the ready position that means not in iron sights. Honestly this is not a big issue to most people. and until we really see something broken here it will most likely be left as is.

-Sabu

Upvote 0
the main change from mod to retail concerning hip shooting was a bigger freeaim box and more important 5x more recoil.
imo hipshooting is not to good or to bad righ now, i just miss the possibility of a high ready position where i can move little bit faster than in ironsightmode, and where my vison is not so much blocked by the gun.
another solution would be to just allow people to jog with ironsight up. u could point ur gun down and have good visability, while u can raise it as fast as u can to shoot close threats with ironsight up. u could add enouth sway to make it not to usefull while running, while the time to aim would no longer be hardcoded but in the hands of the player. hostile intend or infiltration did this quite well.

mfg Arnold

Upvote 0
Incorrect. RO is a quite fast paced (compared to games like ArmA) first person shooter with an inclination to realism.

Slow isn't always realistic. CQB especially is very quick and very brutal. About the only things RO really speeds up is vehicle entering/exiting and weapon switching. Everything else is a function of map size and respawn timers.

Hip shooting is fine, especially given you have hip and IS, nothing in between.

I had a game on Kaukasas where I hip-shot someone on the top wall with an MP-40 from the Mortars, while moving. Seems like it should be impossible, right?

Now ask how many rounds I fired before I scored that kill. Answer: FIVE CLIPS WORTH (over several respawns, obviously). Laws of probability, guys: fire enough bullets in the right general direction and something is going to hit. Even at that I was surprised I scored the hits.

Its only "reliable" at very close range, as it should be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's nothing unrealistic about it, at short range hip shooting is truly a point and click interface. RO has it spot on as it is relatively easy to spray things in close quarters and put rounds on and around a target at a bit of range. Think about it, how easily can you say take a flash light and point it at an object without 'aiming' down it, now imagine that's an automatic weapon, wouldn't be hard to just hose down a person 10m away would it?

What it really comes down to is some people accumulating rage when they get hosed from 20m away by an smg while using a bolt action. Well here's some news for you buddy, that is what an smg is designed for. It's bad enough that they're already unrealistically penalized in standing aimed recoil but some people want bolt actions to be the 'end all' of combat at every range.

I say grow up and learn to play the game, and stop getting into situations your class shouldn't be in, I have no trouble using any weapon at any range, in fact one of my favourite weapons for close quarters on Odessa is the M44. If you use cover creatively and aim sharply you can triumph over an automatic even indoors.

Upvote 0