• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map Orel Enhanced

Quietus --> couldn't you also get permission from Slashbot_427 and change loadouts on map Road to Orel? I know that this map is not working so good beacuse of big FPS. But supposedly in upcoming update of RO there will be new engine enhanced to better support very large terrains in levels. And this map has very nice terrain, a lot of trees, hides, buildings etc. just very good another tank map.
And it would be nice if it had IS2, T34/85 beacuse I'm a little sick of those battles with Tiger vs T34/76, Su, KV. I know that this is 1943 but this map could be the same as for example middle front or north front in 1944, it just need to rewrite title of this map.
No, man (for many many reasons which I don't want to list). If you are tired of playing as a Russian tanker why not switch to a PTRD guy and cause chaos amongst the Germans? It's fun, it's effective, it's deadly! Popping some unsuspecting German tank in it's ammo store for a one shot kill is just another way to help the Russians win and stick it to the Germans and their superior equipment. Don't play Orel as strictly "tank on tank combat" and neglect the other tools at your disposal. It's a combined effort. That's why the Russians lose alot because nobody forms a plan or makes use of ALL their assets. Use everything that's given to you. It's there for a reason.

Upvote 0
Quietus why are you saying like I was complaining about Orel Enhanced V4??? This map is fine, I'm talking about changing loadouts on Road to Orel this is completely different map than usual Orel. There are almost the same forces as in Orel 88vs76 so its a little unbalanced.
And I said that maybe add to this map IS2 and T34/85 beacuse there can't be all the time 1943 with german superiority. Why just not for example 1942? It's really very interesting tank battle then, if you played Bonderovo with AB you would know. KV-1S and StuGs are like IS2 and Panther on Arad.
But if you don't want do this so ok...

Upvote 0
Quietus --> couldn't you also get permission from Slashbot_427 and change loadouts on map Road to Orel? I know that this map is not working so good beacuse of big FPS. But supposedly in upcoming update of RO there will be new engine enhanced to better support very large terrains in levels. ....

The patch will not magically make maps that lack proper optimization run good :) If it ran bad before the patch it will run almost as bad after the patch. Maps still need a lot of proper and smart optimization by skilled designers.

Upvote 0
...or you could ask Sassie to look at it for you. :D :p

JK Sassie.

Luckily I am not the only one in the team that knows a thing or two on optimization :) That's the cool thing that makes working on a dev team so awesome :)

And thats also the reason why the community should have triple gazillion amounts of respect for custom mappers who work on their projects alone.

Upvote 0
The map has potential but just annoys the crap out of me. It looks much better. The few things that would really help:

- MORE incremental spawn locations. The drive is just ridiculous and could be achieved with phased objective capturs and more spawns to cut the drive time down by 25-50% depending on situation.
- Fix the half-sunked and floating trees and partially boyant wheat.
- The river bottom, I suggest a dark blue/black/grey mix of a texture. It would be possible to blotch one together and then soften and smear them together. I have one for a new map that when layered on the bottom of the river, makes it look much deeper and hides the repeating texture much better. Just blend the dark dirt into it a few feet down the bank and it suddenly looks 100x better.

Really a ton of good changes to the map. The drive 3 or 4 minutes to die from some unseen enemy or after getting off only one shot gets old after the third or fourth time. Add the AB mutator to it and I am ready for icepicks in my ears.

Upvote 0
Im a late comer into this thread (due to my ban from a politically charged thread a while back) but I would like to start by saying...

THANK YOU

Thanks to Slashbot for the best tank map ever and thanks to Quitus for making it even better when many fans of this map were worried about it.

With that said, I have a fantasy about this map and I know for a fact that other Orel map players have expressed a similar idea:

We envision a version of the Orel map called "Orel-showcase".

Why "showcase"? Because there are no tank maps that contain all the hardware i.e. all the tanks and equipment availabe AFAIK.

Before anyone states the obviouse, yes I know it would not work very well for playability and it would not be correct for the Orel historical timeframe.

So why do it? Because many of us would like a platform where all of Red Orchestra's goodies (old and new) can be showcased, tested and shown off. And the Orel map is really the only tank map that is large enough for this to work.

I know there is a test map out for gunnery training purposes but if we had something like this for Orel it, things could be tested and played with like a normal map in actual game mode (uneven or not).

And uneven and historically incorrect or not, if this were released it would be an instant hit both as a online fantasy / showcase map and as an offline practice showcase map. I wish I had a dollar for every time me or one of my fellow Orel tankers said "I wish we had this or that included in this map even if it were only one of each".

Just think if a mapper would start with all equipment that RO has available in such an Orel map version and with every new add on (tank, pistol, skin etc) a new version would be added i.e. BT7 comes out so v.4 is nixed and v.5 creaded adding the new goodies and is made available for download.

Now I know that OE v4 is said to be the final OE map but I beg of you guys not to put this in the attick for storage just yet.

Regardless of what happens, I and many others thank you for what we have now. Thank you for all the hard work and time you put into this map.

And although some of us in this thread seem overly critical sometimes, I believe the reason is beause we love this game so much and we are especially passionate about the Orel maps that are being played now.

The Orel series of maps reminds me of a marriage contract. Just a reminder to not let something that brings us together, break us apart. Just food for thought. Rant over.

Feel the love.

Upvote 0
The map has potential but just annoys the crap out of me. It looks much better. The few things that would really help:

- MORE incremental spawn locations. The drive is just ridiculous and could be achieved with phased objective capturs and more spawns to cut the drive time down by 25-50% depending on situation.

Yeah, that is the biggest thing by a VERY long shot. At times, I have been on that map for more than 10 minutes before I even see an enemy....

Upvote 0
........my time is limited so I can't make the map 100% perfect in every way. Remember it's not even my map, I have my own map I need to start worrying about.......

in my opinion, seeing as you've come this far it would be a great same not to end up with as good an end product as you can make -within reason.
As time is such a factor, this project is a good choice - it was a great map, certainly one of the most talked about, and you yourself being one of the most vocal. It's popularity meant it always required this final polish, and the fact you're putting you time in is obviously appreciated, but I would say there is still much that can be achieved here.

Your not the only person who had ideas for this map, and sought and gained permission to make changes, but now you are the one holding the torch.
Out of interest, if you were to call it a day, i take it you would be happy for someone to use your version as a platform to work from?

That said, i'd like to think this version will be the last word, by virtue of it being left in an excellent state - not only from a gameplay point of view but hopefully an asthetic one too.

Upvote 0
W/ the AB mod & 20+ players, this map kicks buttox. & I play Orel, BDJ allot. My hope is the "Ace" tankers see the challenge of playing Russains & start to find the cracks in the German defense.

imo- stick w/ your original main goal. I do like a "showcase idea" but lets see it in an original/ new tankers map w/ the new ranges.

Upvote 0
Just got back after 2 back to back rounds on Enhanced-V4. LOL, first round we pretty much destroyed the Germans to the point that they eventually just submitted and stopped resisting. I kept calling arty on them and NO ONE ever knew where I was (I was in the foxhole at church). I mean it registers when you are in the cap zone so they know someone is around but they didn't check (or couldn't find me). 2nd round I did the same thing only this time I showed mercy and was just playing "games" with them to see if they would eventually locate/get me. I kept calling self defense artillery on my spot to clear them out. One guy finally wised up and came in on foot after me but I gunned him down before he knew what hit him. I spent 60 minutes straight at east field before they finally got me ( I HAD TO LET THEM GET ME). I exposed myself and took an HE round. I guess people really need to learn the map and figure out what the deal is. Anyway it was one of the funniest sessions I've ever had. These 2 German players in particular were looking for me for the 60 minutes and I was just ROFL it was so funny.

*Anyway back to serious mode* I think for those that want to have all available Russian tanks in I really agree with 2 fisted. Orel is 1943 there's no getting around that (at least in my mind). I think people should research some tank battles and find one that occured within the time span you want (late 43/44 whatever) and then either make a completely new tank map yourself or pester/enlist someone else who knows how. As great as Orel is we really could use a new epic tank map out there. People have been playing Orel for so long that I think some people are borderline tired of it (enhanced or not). Really just find someone with the know how (and the time), or it could even be a collaborative effort of a few mappers (one does the terrain, one does the buildings, lighting, optimization etc etc) to ease the load off of one single person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats the great thing about orel, it gets better w/ age. It takes time to re-learn OE even for people who have played Orel 88/76 a ton. Some say they don't like it, but I think many of us said that w/ the original version! ;) Thats a good thing imo.

My highlight in OE was calling arty (from hole by CE, SL side) on 3 German tanks rolling down the hill to attack SL , what a slaughter!

Upvote 0