• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI, just release it!

Part_No.472G-9

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2006
Maybe (I hope) you TWI guys are getting lots of good input regarding the beta, but all I'm seeing is a bunch of beta servers that are completely empty 95% of the time. The only real problems I've had seem to be related to how Steam handles downloading the patch, but the game itself looks great and works very well for me. I don't exactly know why, but going back and forth between beta and regular is hard, because I prefer the beta now. Too bad nobody is playing it!

I wish I had more influence with the general public. I've tried bugging people in-game to try the beta, but most can't be bothered to try it. So, release it already! It's great, it's awesome, it's the best darn game out there, and the patch only makes it better. So, release it! :D:):p

But Alan, while most of us have managed to find work-arounds with the install-reinstall loopy Steam BS in the past week, the users, for the most part, are getting "beat up" by this situation and are staying away.

Why is STEAM after almost a full week, STILL fixing this wretched "anomaly"? This current beta update/fix/patch needs to be in release asap for obvious reasons.

The Beta Servers are staying relatively empty, as a result, the desired tests are impossible to complete. Additionally, the users are extremely reluctant to get wrapped up in STEAM's BS looping hassle and frankly, as an ADMIN I'm wondering how long this must continue. I'm hearing nothing but complaints and statements from the users stating; "I don't want the hassle, I'll wait for the final release". "The 50 man servers work ok and we still can play on the TWB Server without the beta hassle!"

I daresay, it might be a very wise and prudent decision to release the Update, eliminate the hassles and if needed, the auto-update feature of STEAM and HLDS for any subsequent "fixes" or quickie patches/updates to the released files can be utilised.

At the rate we are going now, we are simply "spinning our wheels". This past week and now, this long weekend has thus far proven to be mediocre for the testing of the new files as far as the 50 man server performance is concerned. That is sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mike,

This is a Steam problem as far as I know, I am pretty sure that the people at TW are as frustrated with the situation as you, I and many others, if not more so.

FYI, I alerted TW that there may be a problem with the Steam download/update with the beta a week ago, the 20th to be exact, (I think they knew already).

There have been some small updates from TW since then, that have been applied without any problem.

Keep your fingers crossed that this will be sorted out by the Steam-team as soon as possible.

Shoot me if I'm wrong...

Upvote 0
No, they should do what I say. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:I DEMAND IT!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have spoken, so mote it be.

hey. Its good to have fixes and all. But its not like the patch is a holy grail.

So far the best patch for me was, the patch where MGs got some major push in their accuracy and a better working deploying. Still some strange things with mgs I would wish to see solved. But definetly better then before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I would rather wait for a finished patch than have the patch come out early and then have to have all kinds of hot fixes and extra patches we would not have needed if the patch came out like a week later.

What makes you think the Update isn't finished? You wait long enough for the update that IS finished... and you see servers begin to drop like flies.

People are having too much trouble with the current situation of beta D/L and D/L and D/L and re-D/L. It has to be remedied.

Upvote 0
Mike,

This is a Steam problem as far as I know, I am pretty sure that the people at TW are as frustrated with the situation as you, I and many others, if not more so.

FYI, I alerted TW that there may be a problem with the Steam download/update with the beta a week ago, the 20th to be exact, (I think they knew already).

There have been some small updates from TW since then, that have been applied without any problem.

Keep your fingers crossed that this will be sorted out by the Steam-team as soon as possible.

Shoot me if I'm wrong...

I too reported the problem over a week ago. So here we are now with the same problem .... the bottom line is if they goto release and use the auto-update feature of Steam for any quickie fixes, they'll be far better off. The Beta Servers are DEAD right now.... they are not being used.

Upvote 0
Sorry but we won't just release it and trust the autoupdater to sort it out later. First off, thats what the big game publishers do "Lets push buggy crap out the door, we can always fix it later". Secondly, the main bug IS with the Steam autoupdater. There are some new files in this RO update that the Steam autoupdate has some issues with. Which is why the client beta has had all the "download, redownload, verify, etc" issues. If we push this out public, instead of having a few hundred poeple who voluntarily tried the beta having issues, we'll have hundreds of thousands of RO owners submitted to the problem (and all over these forums screaming).

There are two things we hoped to accomplish with this beta. First we wanted to ensure that the release was as bug free as possible, and that all of the new 50 player stuff worked properly with 50 players. We've been able to test this, as (despite what some poeple are saying) we've had full 50 player servers in the beta to test. We also found a couple of bugs/issues that we pushed updates out for into the beta. So this part of the testing has proven quite successful.

The second thing we wanted to do is give server admins a chance to put thier servers through thier paces with the higher player counts, so the server admins could see what types of player counts they could handle. This hasn't worked out as well as we would have liked, since the above mentioned issues with the Steam autoupdater have discouraged a lot of poeple from trying the beta. We have been able to test with full player counts on many servers, but I doubt we'll be able to get through them all before the release. This means that the server admins will likely have to test thier machines when the update is publicly released. On the bright side, all server admins that participated in the beta will have thier server updated and set up hours before all the rest, which means when the patch comes out, they'll be the first places poeple can play :)

Upvote 0
Heh heh, just stirring the pot a little bit. Mostly I'm just liking what I see and I'm excited to see it released. I hope the tongue-in-cheek nature of my posts was apparent.

It's a shame that the major issue is with Steam itself, because after my initial dislike of the service when they made you install it to play HL2, it had finally started to grow on me as a really good way to handle patches. This is the first time I've had any problems at all with it, and it would have to be with my favorite game, bleh...

So take your time and put out a product that you're happy with, and hopefuly the Steam issue will be worked out soon. I'll keep on playing the beta when I see populated servers.

Upvote 0