• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PPSh-41 Recoil

PPSh-41 Recoil

• PPSH-41 Recoil should be Lessened

Votes: 140 59.3%
  • PPSH-41 Recoil is Fine

Votes: 73 30.9%
  • PPSH-41 Recoil should be Increased

Votes: 23 9.7%

• Total voters
yeah i can deal with the knealing accuratcy of the ppsh and the prone is fine not realistic but its good enough. its the standing kick thats not real. the gun kicks up a inch or two per shot and thats at the barral not the target.if it was toned down to what the stg was it would be fine. and the STG should have alot more kick then the ppsh. Bad enough they didnt add in the selective fire for the ppsh. The rate of fire wouldnt effect the amount of recoil at all just how fast it happens. That ppsh video Is all the proof anyone should need to show the recoil. the kick on it is there but its nothing hard to control.

Upvote 0
The StG44 has very little recoil in real life. Sure it fires a more powerful cartridge, but rate of fire is significantly lower and it's heavier.

While I agree the PPSH41s recoil should be lessened, videos are never good proof for that. You can find videos of people shooting the FG42 and it seems to have very little recoil. Videos don't show recoil too well.
And besides that the barrel DID move up and down quite a lot in that vid.

Upvote 0
Just know this: the better fps you have, the less recoil you experience. I know what I am talking about, I recently upgraded my PC. Since I'd reckon the DEVs all have mighty PCs, that might be why they don't acknowledge the recoil is too high. While recoil is much better on my new PC, I still think it's too high though.

Upvote 0
The StG44 has very little recoil in real life. Sure it fires a more powerful cartridge, but rate of fire is significantly lower and it's heavier.

While I agree the PPSH41s recoil should be lessened, videos are never good proof for that. You can find videos of people shooting the FG42 and it seems to have very little recoil. Videos don't show recoil too well.
And besides that the barrel DID move up and down quite a lot in that vid.
Indeed. Its even said somewhere that the PPSh in that video was not using the usual amunition. Can not confirm of course if that is true, but to judge on videos from you tube, can be complicated.

When we where talking about recoil in iron sight, here I fully agree that for some weapons its exagerated and seems to look like it was done for balancing reasonis (if that is true or not ... who knows). A lot people agree that the Mps in the mood, have been much more usefull then now, people really started to throw their weapons away to get a PPSH. But in the mod, it also was unrealistic with hip shoting, if I may so express myself. But to be honest, I dont believe MPs are working that way like they do in game, most of the time I see, even on medium ranges, people win with bolt rifles and with semi automatic rifles from the hip where I haev to ask my self, if it realy are that effective weapoins, why did the military tried to replace all their bolt weapoins with mps, and assault rifles later. The real combat range was about 300 meters, everything beyond that, is not a combat range for usual infantry.

Its my point of view of course. But mps need to be more effective in iron sight with medium distances between 50 and 100m, I dont say they should work like a sniper, but even with short bursts they tend to miss just way to much, and dont forget, you can not "tip" the buton in real life with most guns as some suggest to do in game.

Upvote 0
I don't really see the problem with the recoil, even when standing up. I just fire it in <8 round bursts, and drag the mouse down a bit to consolidate for the recoil (mouse sensitivity is 1.5...shouldn't be too hard for people then :D ). I can easily unload a whole clip in the same general area when crouched, and this is with the game running from 15-35 fps. I don't see why everyone is complaining about how much recoil it has.

Upvote 0
Basicly the recoil for all of the smgs in the game is way too high its just the ppsh that has it the worst. These are fairly large guns shooting small rounds. The way the barrel of the ppsh was designed it worked as a mussle brake/compensator it worked to reduce recoil.

The stg shouldnt have much recoil but it should have slightly more then the true smgs in the game.

I personaly dont think any balancing should be done with the weapons themself. Let the map and the amount of each weapon on the team balance it. Most people that play RO came to it because it is realistic or at least the most realistic fps out. Im sure a lot of us would switch games the second another well made realistic fps game comes out.

Upvote 0
Right, but that right there means that solving the problem isn't as simple as "Oh, just fix the recoil." We'd need to fix the maps and class loadouts, too, for pretty much all the stock RO maps.

At the very least, they'd need to be CLOSELY looked at to determine if they're still balanced. Most maps in RO are close combat affairs. This is offset by the shortage of SMGs on a lot of maps, but to the extent you have ANY SMGs, if you lower the recoil, you have to really reexamine the maps for balance purposes.

I'm not saying I'm against lowering the recoil, but it's not as simple a proposition as that. You have to lower the recoil AND adjust your maps to take this into account. I mean, could you imagine a map like, say, Lyes Krovy with lowered SMG recoil? The German long-range advantage in the beginning would be erased almost instantaneously unless you made the map a LOT bigger (IE: closer to the early versions of "Road to Hill" or whatever).

Upvote 0
reducing standing recoil down to a little over crouching recoil would not make a difference at all,it would just remove on bs part of the game.
yes i have shot automatic weapons and i dont think that its really more difficult to control recoil while standing. funny thing is that its more difficult to fire single accurate shots while standing than while on ur knees, but ingame there is no difference for rifles. and that takes us to the popup mgkilling rifleman.

thats a good example where turning reality around results in dumb gameplay.

solution:
1. reduce standing recoil for smgs.
2. more sway for standing unsupported fireingposition for all guns.

reducing the time to get into ironsightmode would also have only positive results. u could add a small time of more sway directly after u raised ur sight to make it possible to use the ironsight in cqb while still making long range shots not to easy and fast. this would reduce hipshooting.

imo this points are no big changes thats would solve some probs.

mfg Arnold

Upvote 0
solo4114 this difference is very small and not a problem, but it should be one. u simply do not need 3 seconds to aim. shooting a bolt standing unsupported is far to easy in game, while shooting smgs on more than 10 meters standing unsupported is impossible.
also funny how some guns have waving and some dont at the beginning, and especailly rested
semis have a lot bolts nearly no, mp40 and ppsh have a lot ppd and stg have none. total random.

and yes recoil has a lot to do with fps. its far easier to use smgs with very high fps, but still: the recoil while standing is far too much compared to the recoil on the knees.

mfg Arnold

Upvote 0
Wait, are you complaining about the recoil or the barrel sway? On the barrel sway, I think the SMGs actually sway less than the rifles, or at least when they do sway, the sway is far less extreme. Rifles will really sway around a lot if you let them. I've never noticed a real difference between the bolties and semi-autos, nor between the STG, nor the SMGs among themselves. I THINK the SMGs sway a little less than any of the other weapons, but I'm not sure. I haven't done any kind of testing on that.

As far as the recoil on the PP* series of SMGs, it's extremely difficult to tell when you've only fired ONE bullet to compare to the rifles. None of the Russian SMGs have a "single fire" selector, and the sound isn't a reliable cue because the sounds are actually loops designed to play as long as you hold the fire button down (or so I recall, anyway). I think the MP-40/41 is different and actually can be fired as single shots, but that's because of the far lower rate of fire.

Anyway, I agree that sway could be dealt with any number of ways, but much of that is subjective. One person with a lot of experience shooting might not even notice what sway there was, whereas a newbie shooter might both sway around a lot and have a tough time compensating for it in real life.

Stamina MAY also have something to do with it. I think the SMGers are usually running around more than the average boltie soldier (same with semi-auto troops), so their reduced stamina MAY be affecting the sway, although I'm not 100% sure HOW it affects it (IE: does it make the sway kick in sooner, or does it increase the range of the sway, or both?).

Upvote 0