• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
*Shakes fist at these people*

Those are NOT acceptable backstops for rifle-caliber bullets.

Safety issues aside, very interesting videos.

Gah, they give Eugene Stoner credit for the intermediate rifle cartridges!?

And an M14 isn't a true assault rifle. Rifles chambered in full-house calibers aren't assault rifles, by definition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fascinating to see how a history programme even fails at the simple task of displaying the proper flag of the German Empire...
:rolleyes:

Also, 450RPM?
How utmost impressive.
They should at least have done a comparison to modern MGs and automatic rifles.
You cannot expect the uneducated viewer to properly relate such figures themselves...

Upvote 0
I loved the bit about "long bursts will cause the barrel to warp" when he's shooting a water-jacketed Vickers. People really should research the weapons they're using, since the whole idea of the water jacket is to allow sustained fire without the barrel overheating. I have to wonder if the water can attached to the hose actually had water in it. Watch the films of the German gunners in WWI to see what I mean. Long, sustained bursts sweeping the field of fire.

I sure as heck wouldn't have wanted to be one of his target setters either. They're downrange setting the balloons, yet he's sitting there with a belt in place, hands on the grips of a LOADED MACHINE GUN. Yes, he has his traverse stakes set, but that is still VERY poor range safety technique. Anyone on my range pulling that crap would have been banned for life.

All in all very fast and loose where actual historical content is concerned. Didn't mention the fact that the M-16 suffered severe issues when first introduced to combat, such as excessive ammo use due to 900 RPM rate of fire (later lowered to 750 by redesigning the recoil buffer), cookoffs, major gas system fouling and failures to feed directly related to no cleaning kits being issued with the rifles. In fact most units had one cleaning kit per squad until well after the rifles became standard issue. If the guy with the kit became a casualty in combat...

Nice attempt, but could have been done SO much better with a little more work.

Upvote 0
Imo completly useless biased videos as if the whole developement was allways single (US) man jobs.
No mention of the first GPMG, or the first (!) Assault Rifle, or the FN FAL, the AK 47 ... (both issued before the M14!)

PS.: Are you the Kettch who was in 121st once?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kettch

I traveled through time and space to win the Second World War ... Ewok style :p

Upvote 0
Imo completly useless biased videos as if the whole developement was allways single (US) man jobs.
No mention of the first GPMG, or the first (!) Assault Rifle, or the FN FAL, the AK 47 ... (both issued before the M14!)
Ya I hate this stupid pro American ****! Give me the facts not some bs to make believe that Americans are the greatest. This is why I don't believe many things they say on the history channel and the like.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't call it "pro-American." It was probably a bit "Amero-centric." Too much from the POV of US weapons.

They did mention Germany as the front-runners in MG tactics, though.

Ok, after watching the whole thing... what a load of crap. They did have some interesting stuff, but.

Mobsters were much more likely to use a shotgun or pistol, or even a rifle, than they were to use a Thompson. This is leftover FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) just the same as the new form of FUD is that all gang members use "assault rifles." And then they demonstrate nicely that the scariest weapon in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it is worthless, so which is it? Evil and scary, or just another tool?

The graphic of the 5.56 round shattering in a torso was more BS. Yes, they'll tumble. Yes, they'll sometimes fragment. NO, the fragments won't take such a dramatic path as the one you see winding up down by the figure's hips! This FUD about 5.56 and 7.62x39 tumbling and taking a right turn at Albuquerque and coming out someone's foot pisses me off. I STILL here idiots who claim one of these can "bounce around inside you" like a ball in a pinball machine. Idiots.

I'm throwing the BS flag on the Vickers bullet found in the tree. Rifle caliber will go straight through that tree. 9mm ball should go through that tree, or close to it. It's not a big enough tree to catch a rifle bullet.

Meh. All in all, not a terribly good video. They screw up on a lot of basic stuff.

Upvote 0
I'm throwing the BS flag on the Vickers bullet found in the tree. Rifle caliber will go straight through that tree. 9mm ball should go through that tree, or close to it. It's not a big enough tree to catch a rifle bullet.
Yeah, definately.
Rough rule of thumb is as long as you can put your arms around the trunk, you will not find cover behind (whether it is big enough to also cover your shoulders is disregarded...).
That tree could have been circled with both hands from what it looks...

Upvote 0
Oh, I also forgot:

I love the part where they say a 150ish grain .308 bullet is heavier than a 200ish grain .45. Hmm.. Heavier? No, just a lot more powerful and faster.

@Helmi: I've seen that stuff first hand. My family used to shoot at a tree only slightly smaller than that one. The only bullets that wouldn't make it through were stuff like bird shot and .22 cal. .38 spl semi-wad cutters would usually go straight through.

Lol, we shot the crap outta that tree cause it was dead. No leaves on it ever. We almost shot it enough to knock it down, and then one year we went out there, and it had leaves on it.

Upvote 0
Oh, I also forgot:

I love the part where they say a 150ish grain .308 bullet is heavier than a 200ish grain .45. Hmm.. Heavier? No, just a lot more powerful and faster.
Yeah, because grain is no weight unit or what?
*shakeshead*
I love it when these "shows" take the extra time to double-check their background info :p

Lol, we shot the crap outta that tree cause it was dead. No leaves on it ever. We almost shot it enough to knock it down, and then one year we went out there, and it had leaves on it.
Haha, awesome story!
Maybe it was lacking important trace minerals :D

Upvote 0
The Thompson isn't accurate at range because the bullet "runs out of powder" or some such crap, as well. Obviously whoever created that abomination of a show hasn't the least grasp of basic ballistics, or of how the guns they're talking about work. Shoddy, shoddy research - IF any was actually done.

Thompson submachineguns are inaccurate at extended range because they fire from an open bolt. When you pull the trigger the bolt flies forward. All that mass rushing forward, stripping a round out of the magazine and then slamming it into the chamber causes imparts quite a bit of motion to the gun. That motion translates into unwanted motion of the muzzle, which means the bullet isn't aimed remotely close to where the sights were when you pulled the trigger. FYI the .45ACP is quite accurate out to 150 yards or better when fired from a carbine length barrel.

I could nitpick that show to pieces, but it would take too long. There was just so much outright wrong info, and so much more that was misrepresented, that it would take a not-so-small book to correct it all.

Note to show's producers: Study basic physics, then get some real firearms experts, those who understand the basic principles of how firearms and ammunition really work, then try again.

Upvote 0
Thompson submachineguns are inaccurate at extended range because they fire from an open bolt.
This is actually true for a lot of SMGs.
Not that it makes that much of an impact because firstly, an SMG is not designed to be as accurate over large distance as a rifle and secondly, compared to bolt-action rifles that were around when SMGs were introduced, they can make up for it by their much higher RoF.

The MG42 also fires from an open bolt but is quite accurate at it - thanks to the long barrel and the much better firing position when using the bipod (so you can absorb any movement with your whole body), I would think.

Upvote 0