• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Riga Docks (Beta)

ok i played it tonight and there is a big problem : Spawns

The rest is great but spawn completely kill the gameplay. It's impossible to defend with the russian spawn. Both of them are easy to camp. Instead of putting them W and E of the map, put them North and South. then i think this map will be great. And don't forget mines for spawn protection.
Exactly, that was the thing that ruined it. Even with a lot less players the Russians kept winning and the Germans didn't had a change. Most of the fights aren't at the objects at all. Also the last object is a big problem. There is no fight there. The germans push trough to it and the Russians can't get there on time.

The first spawn is ok. But change the russian spawn when the streets are taken. Let them spawn at the Docks or something like there. I don't know where but also the spawn for the last object isn't on the right spot.

Upvote 0
I'm looking at changing the spawns after spectating actual players on line
2nd Russian spawn in particular I think needs to be shifted and I was thinking of making the 2nd German spawn more central to the map rather than having it in the Coal Yard entrance shed on the left where it currently is - I'll take another look at this.
Additionally - I'm also considering putting another entrance central in the main dock building to give the Dock area a bit more activity in the final push - This is a quick level not intended to go on for more than 15-20 munites at the most but I've seen matches end in about 10 minutes which is a bit too short for my liking - the Docks I just think it's very difficult to defend.
Here are some screenshots to illustrate what I mean:
Thanks to everyone who have taken time out to look at the map.

Lruce

Attachments

• Lruce1.jpg
    Lruce1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Lruce2.jpg
    Lruce2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Lruce3.jpg
    Lruce3.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • Lruce4.jpg
    Lruce4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Lruce5.jpg
    Lruce5.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Hi there,

Well, good points u have in mind there, Lruce, especially the last two will do as a huge gameplay improvement, i think.
We played the map maybe 4-5 times on the project twilight server and came to the conclusion that it is far to easy for the axis to cut of allied reinforcement from the left and cap the docks, when it comes to the last objective; so putting the last russian spawn behind the harbour would really help increasing the gameplay at the docks. Besides, all players would have much more of the beautifully dockside in the end :).

A few more ideas i have in mind, which could even improve this amazing map:

- What about giving this beauty a bit more gameplay dimension to the height? There are all these excellent looking high buildings...imho they scream for inviting riflemen and snipers shooting at the smg dudes from above. At the pallet yard there are already two balcony ways at the 1st and 2nd floor, i know, but what about these:
- the huge green bars at the icehouse could be climbable, maybe so that u can enter a rooftop at the end
- those amazing crane meshes at the dockside...aw man, make those beauties enterable :)
- ho hum, as Britney mentioned before, enterable buildings would be sweet indeed... i understand, though, that it would take much more effort and maybe get down the overall performance (which is amazing, btw!)...so u may better not consider this :D.

Will make a few screenies l8er to make it more clear what i mean, anyways, these are just ideas... put 'em on your list below. I also agree that this baby needs to get played and tested much more before u might consider any mayor changes.

greetz,
gitano

Upvote 0
so putting the last russian spawn behind the harbour would really help increasing the gameplay at the docks. Besides, all players would have much more of the beautifully dockside in the end :).

A few more ideas i have in mind, which could even improve this amazing map:

• What about giving this beauty a bit more gameplay dimension to the height? There are all these excellent looking high buildings...imho they scream for inviting riflemen and snipers shooting at the smg dudes from above. At the pallet yard there are already two balcony ways at the 1st and 2nd floor, i know, but what about these:
  • the huge green bars at the icehouse could be climbable, maybe so that u can enter a rooftop at the end
  • those amazing crane meshes at the dockside...aw man, make those beauties enterable :)
Lruce, Gitano rang a bell for me...as I read his post, I recalled thinking to myself while I was in the map a number times; "What a great place to be able to get up there and snipe!" - "This place is ideal to ambush them as they approach if only I could get up or in there." - "Hmm, getting up there behind that rubble would be great!"

The combat position potentials for RO-RigaDocks are amazing... all Gitano's suggestions are worthy of due consideration. Please consider opening up more buldings and allowing us to climb on things and rooftops.

Upvote 0
Really nice map Lruce m8 i can only wonder @ the time and care you took in building it.
An absolute classic in the making and no doubt there.

One thing though i did notice that the Commies can get out of the map and around to the train yard from the docks. Right @ the back where the sand bags are you can simply run up onto the hut and jump into the water. from there i was able to run round to the train yard and crawl through the wall/ pile of coal and run about the train yard.

Upvote 0
Really valuable feedback - already looking at opening up some buildings & after watching some of you guys on line I realised that a lot of you are right sneaky bastards & capatalise on every conceivable hiding place - I was amazed where some of you guys ended up.

Performance was one of the main factors in designing the map and kinda restricts me now in such a late state of the design - getting up higher is a possibility in some areas but major construction changes will comprise a lot of things built around how the map is optimized and create more work than I'd like but I'm going to try some of this stuff out and see how it handles.

Lruce

Upvote 0
Hi again,

Well, the both things i mentioned before:

- This is a quick level not intended to go on for more than 15-20 munites at the most but I've seen matches end in about 10 minutes which is a bit too short for my liking -

One thing i forget to add before; yup, i got your intention for this map to depict a quick axis approach through to the harbour. Only thing is... youre doing yourself no favor in making these months of hard work a kinda "quick fight" map, imho.
For example, take the first objective; from my experiences so far it was capped way too fast by the axis in the beginning... considering all these excellent spots and labyrinth-like approaches to the objective offering some really awesome close combat fights with lotsa cover... u might consider giving the players a bit more time fighting around this place :).
20-25 minutes of intense fights for all classes... this map will be a blast. Together with all the excellent artwork it will burn itself into players minds, imho.

The combat position potentials for RO-RigaDocks are amazing...
Agree 100% here... with all the improvements u have in mind...i even can see this one as a strong competitor to something like Danzig (at least for me :D)... go for it! :)

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really valuable feedback - already looking at opening up some buildings & after watching some of you guys on line I realised that a lot of you are right sneaky bastards & capatalise on every conceivable hiding place - I was amazed where some of you guys ended up.

Performance was one of the main factors in designing the map and kinda restricts me now in such a late state of the design - getting up higher is a possibility in some areas but major construction changes will comprise a lot of things built around how the map is optimized and create more work than I'd like but I'm going to try some of this stuff out and see how it handles.

Lruce

Without a doubt, that's all we can ask. Thnx much!! It really is a fantastic map. :)

Upvote 0
I really like the look and feel of the map but tbh the russains first 2 spawns need big changes

- The gap at Russ 1st spawn between the street feels unnatural (the wire fence) and anoying having to do a loop to get to the street.

- The next Ruki spawn were the street is taken is always leads to alot of spawn kills and doesnt feel right for a defence coming into the side of the German advance, so i suggest moving that spawn behind the Icehouse and the other parrell objective( cant remember its name)

If changed i think tbh this map will be a real winner

Upvote 0
One thing though i did notice that the Commies can get out of the map and around to the train yard from the docks. Right @ the back where the sand bags are you can simply run up onto the hut and jump into the water. from there i was able to run round to the train yard and crawl through the wall/ pile of coal and run about the train yard.

Oh the beauty of beta testing!

Thankyou Wolfhound338

Lruce

Upvote 0
Finally got a chance to spectate two rounds yesterday and it definately is very good map. I didn't actually get to play any rounds (250 ping server = me spectate) but I'll tell you my initial impressions anyways.

First thing I noticed when spectating was a fair amount of cull distance problems. Many statics were popping in and out of view all over the place.

The performance was quite high because of the small layout and large buildings to occlue your view so I wouldn't worry about that.

The first part of the map seems like it is wasted because the Germans just spawn there and run towards the street objective. Personally I think you could have a nice fight across the open area with all those fences for cover. I also agree with many people here when they talk about opening up more buildings. If you zone them all up I really doubt performance would even be an issue because it's already very smooth.

I would remove the mip maps on the fence texture because when you get about 15 meters away the fence becomes invisible. Also the fence blocks bullets when it really shouldn't. Just take a look at the fences in Krasnyi for a reference.

The seagulls were a nice touch but they are probably 200 UU or so too low and appeared to be quite flat at times.

As others have mentioned the spawn system does seem a little strange for certain objectives. All I can say is that it probably wouldn't hurt to funnel the action a little more as I often saw people end up fighting for places that had nothing to do with the objectives.

I would personally add some more cover around the catwalks, raised areas, that long tunnel, and maybe in the short tunnels along the street. Right now if you find yourself being shot at in any of those places you have very few options for fighting back. Adding more cover should be pretty easy because you can get away with just adding crates or boxes in a setting like this. Additionally the tunnel doesn't seem to have a purpose in real life, it looks like it was placed there for gameplay reasons. Maybe add some doors down there or even open up a storage room as an objective if you want.

Last thing I can think of is the overturned green truck on the street looks like it was placed there for cover. If you're going to keep it there I would suggest putting a shellhole beside it or something.

Other than those (mostly minor) suggestions/observations I think it looks great and I can't wait to actually play it with a full server with some decent ping. Oh and remember; I yell at you because I love you. ;)

Upvote 0
I think you could pretty smartly make the tunnels lead to storage rooms. I would like to see some puddles down there too--it would be the first thing to flood in a rainstorm, or from runoff from the ice, so having some splish-splash fun down there would add realism and variety.

Also, the seagulls don't drop down onto your bayonet for gull & fish kebabs when you shoot them--unless I was missing.

Upvote 0
The map got a serious stress test from the Iron Crescendo crowd today. There are definitely some problems with the spawns and it takes competitive play to really highlight it. It's a great map that just needs some tweaking to make it even better.

I won't go in to in detail now, but I'm sure Gitano will when he's along shortly. I think he's taking screenshots.

Many thanks for the map,

koondrad
Iron Crescendo Tournament Admin

Upvote 0