• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Alternative reinforcement methods

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I know things have been said before i just like to sum up some possibilities for reinforcements that servers could set. So here's my little wishlist

Ability to have reinforcements to be like it is now
Ability to have reinforcements that look at the total player amount so with less players total less reinforcements (could form a problem when a server gets filled up)

Ability to have individual reinforcements (been beaten to death but with X reinforcements maybe ppl will care more about their lives)

Ability to set an X amount of reinforcements that will only launch once. A everybody is dead, or B an objective is taken. Configurable by the server howmany everyteam gets.

Basically leaving some tweaking features to the server admins so the devs don't have to worry about that part.

Individual reinforcements would be hard to implement. What happens when a new player joins?

He gets the average of all players (total amount of lives in roulation devided by total amount of players), and the server remembers players reinforcements for a map so people can't leave and rejoin to regain lives. (just like with the anti tk mutator it kept counting tks even if you reconnected to the server and thesame map was on) So yes if someone takes a brake for 5 mins and then comes back he will have his old amount of reinforcemets but that would be thesame if he stayed ingame inside the spawn for those 5 mins. And leaving the server would make you loose 1 life aswell (so people that are certain to die won't bind a button to reconnect to safe 1 life)

Upvote 0
I would like the ability to choose where to reinforce. Not totally but have the squad leader to be able to select which objective he wants to be closer to. Also for individuals who may be having a battle at a certain place. There's a LOT of running to the front line in this game which can be annoying at times on the bigger maps.
Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0
the other problem with individual reinforcements is that you might end up with a 10 min sniper battle with just 2-4 players at the end of every map.

reinforcement should be class dependent smgs are supposed to die faster. And should not be punished for it. That might balance the rush for classes aswell because if you're a sniper you know you'll be running out of your lives quicker.

Next to that the defenders already have more reinforcements than attackers, that could be continued with the individual reinf.

While no reinforcement or only reinforcement would help the realism clans without a match being over after 1 cap or not basically. (you should see that as all objectives being multiple maps binded together) hence the respawn.

Upvote 0
I know things have been said before i just like to sum up some possibilities for reinforcements that servers could set. So here's my little wishlist

Ability to have reinforcements to be like it is now
Ability to have reinforcements that look at the total player amount so with less players total less reinforcements (could form a problem when a server gets filled up)

Ability to have individual reinforcements (been beaten to death but with X reinforcements maybe ppl will care more about their lives)

Ability to set an X amount of reinforcements that will only launch once. A everybody is dead, or B an objective is taken. Configurable by the server howmany everyteam gets.

Basically leaving some tweaking features to the server admins so the devs don't have to worry about that part.

Good ideas :)
I specially liked the individual respawns idea..
Ie each Victory point you hold, gives +10 respawns pr player.
If u die 10 times, you cannot respawn untill another VP is taken..
It would be cool to combine this with other types as well..
such as certain Victorypoints gives you +2 armoured vehicles, or certain weapon classes..
Ie as the game starts you only have 5 MG spawns...
Once you cap the next objective 5 more MG unlocks (to simmulate that you have opened supplyroutes....)

I posted a few options for spawn systems.. like the group spawn system, where 4 players has to die, before they all can spawn in a group...To prevent 1 and 1 running into the "meatgrinder"

I think the game would live longer if it had a greater variaity of reinforcement options, spawn options, and gametypes...

Well like u say... Id really like to see something like this...

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Aint gonna work imo outside clans and basically games with serious teamwork, because it will just encourage camping and people concentrating on killing rather than the objectives allready its hard to get a proper attack going on public servers with that measure it will become even more so.

I say why not just leave an option for admins simply to up the respawn time ? to 1 even 2 min (map dependant of course) of course this longer respawn time might make it harder for attackers well why not just give the defending side a slightly longer respawn wait? , no need to get too complicated!!! keep it simply otherwise its very easy to create a flawed/annoying system where only people who play loads understand the system or can abuse it.
Look at orel that has a really long drive from spawn to action so you end waiting 2 minutes to get back in the action including respawn wait and it certainly makes alot people play carefully so i say try that first before you go creating some complicated system that will probadly just annoy alot of players.

Upvote 0
the other problem with individual reinforcements is that you might end up with a 10 min sniper battle with just 2-4 players at the end of every map.

indeed a problem why some full servers get cleared in seconds ...

i just rember the last game, where we have run out of reinforcements and there have been 2 min left. It ended with 14 axis players against 3 in the soviet team (2 dead, 1 hidding somewhere in teh trenches ...). I have no problem to wait ... and this has maybe been a extrem situation, but still most of the time half of the team mebers start to leave the game as soon the reinforcements are down and they are dead ...

Upvote 0
Its all about how u impement an idea...
Some ideas might need abit polishing and co-exist with a few other ideas...

As i Just wrote in earlier post...

If each player gets 10 respawns (serverside option)
you have to take care for ur life...
And secondly you dont need to wait for the game to end if you play carefully..

If you also implement the group respawn idea (4 players must die to respawn as a team), the gameplay would ALOT more exiting... than the run and die type we now experience...

Another even better idea is to limit classes instead of lives..
So when the MG class is spent, you may have to select the bolt action...

Upvote 0
I would prefer to abolish reinforcement amounts all together.
They never worked and they will never work.
It may provide some extra tension for the last minute, but that's the only thing which is achieved by this useless game-feature.
Either that or give verybody just 1 life within a very short round and smaller map.

Monk.

Upvote 0
It may provide some extra tension for the last minute, but that's the only thing which is achieved by this useless game-feature.
Either that or give verybody just 1 life within a very short round and smaller map.

Monk.

big reinforcements are useless indeed, thats why i'm for giving smaller amounts to individual players. They get the ability to menage their reinforcements theirselves. And ability to win more stuff by capping (if people cap the entire team should get some more reinf not just the cappers).

Upvote 0

Monk.

You just reminded me of why I hate CS.

Upvote 0
Anyone ever think of creating a counter strike esk mod for ro, only with all of ro's realism personally i think it would be pretty cool, i know cs evil, modern day ****s etc etc:rolleyes:.
The reason i say is alot you would like no respawn games however this simply would not work very well in most red orchestra maps and the game mode especially even creating smaller maps probadly wouldnt work because then riflemen would be at a severe dis-advantage. Maybe some sort of seperate mode with counter strike stlye game modes and levels would work and with ro's realism of course.

[EDIT]
Actually maybe creating a seperate mod or mentioning cs:eek:(especially in this community) isnt such a great idea but i think someone needs to at least create a seperate game mode for no respawn to work.
Sorry for rambling but i've always wondered what counter strike would be like with realism, dons [SIZE=-1]flame retardant and awaits the inevitable.[/SIZE]

Upvote 0
I would dearly love to see 0-reinf maps for RO but the problem is making sure that all players are ready and that gamepay doesn't start until that time (could be done with a mut) and making sure that joining players don't go immediately into the game.

Most maps would need to be RADICALLY altered as well in terms of time, layout, number of obj's and just plain size. Imagine having to wait 40-odd minutes to get into Berezina or even 15 for a stock map.

Upvote 0