• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Interested in.. Anything? = TED

...or, if you dont think you are, listen up.

TED is some kind of conference thing, where some really bright people from all branches of life; science, research, inventions, expeditions, medicine buisinessmen, poverty, enviorment etc gather and listen to speeches, get/give eachother prizes etc. yeah, sounds boring maybe.. but:

Speakers include Al Gore, Bono, Richard Dawkins and lots of others. Basically Get Itunes and search for the video podcast "TED talks" Now just watch all of them, I've come to see that they are all suprisingly interesting, even things I didnt think would interest me the slightest are actually just that. Hans Rosling for instance shows graphs of how the world is doing since 1962, to much to explain here, but very fascinating stuff. Bono as usual dreams of "making poverty history", Al Gore has his globbal wobble, but then you have completely different stuff like Ben Saunders telling his story about walking to the north pole, photographer Ed Burtynsky presenting the most awesome slideshow ever, Burt Rutan on the future of space travel... the list goes on..

http://feeds.feedburner.com/TEDTalks_video

http://www.TED.com

If there's free food I want to go.

Aside from that, I'd probably try and listen to as many people as possible. They all seem very interesting and full of awesome. Apart from Bono. Who is gay.

EDIT: I'm not bashing U2, which are a very good band. It's just that Bono is gay.

Upvote 0
Gay as in all round gay. Not very good

So... "gay" = bad person? that sure puts you in the strange light. whats wrong with using words like "douchebag" or "idiot" or "a personality I dont like" that doesnt imply you are a homofobic person?

Bono is actually one of the least interesting speakers on TED, but the man still has a few valid points to make.

Now lets stick to the topic.

Upvote 0
Even if Bono is kind of a douche, it could be quite entertaining to listen to Michael Shermer talk about alien encounters, or Burt Rutan cap-on NASA's shortcomings, Aubrey de Grey talk about 'The Fountain of Youth', or David Deutsch explore his multiverse interpretation of quantum theory. :eek: no wai

Hmm Monterrey is less than an hour from my place... Scooby Doo...

Upvote 0
So... "gay" = bad person? that sure puts you in the strange light. whats wrong with using words like "douchebag" or "idiot" or "a personality I dont like" that doesnt imply you are a homofobic person?

Bono is actually one of the least interesting speakers on TED, but the man still has a few valid points to make.

Now lets stick to the topic.

Where I live calling something/someone gay doesn't exclusively mean it/they are homosexual.
e.g. "My computer went all gay and blue screened on me" "My boss is a total ****ing gaylord" It's the joke word. Calling Bono a ****ing ***** (the q word) would mean I was a homophobic person, but I didn't, I used gay. I have nothing against homosexuals, I just like to use the word.

I'm deeply sorry If I have offended anyone with my liberal use of the word gay.

Upvote 0
I know the word "gay" has been adapted for use in replacement of insults , but I think that its a pretty daft trend.

It makes as much sense to me as calling a person a "total negro" to insult them. Implying that its wrong to be black. There is nothing wrong about being black, or gay, or female, or all of the above, most of us know that perfectly well, but I just think we would all benefit from not using words that way, if we were more aware and conscious about our choice of words and their meaning, it would raise the intellectual level a little, and help abolishing prejuice instead of promoting it.

If a kid, say 8 or 10 keeps reading and hearing gay this, gay that when people are bashing something, what opinions will they form on gay marriage? well, they probably wont form their future opinions entirely on poor choice of words, but it probably wont help either.

Or even worse, how about young people who actually are gay, but still in the closet, experiencing all kinds of internal and external conflicts about themselves, what do they think, or feel when all their friends are using "gay" to describe everything wrong with the world.

But what the hell, lets just forget about all the gay talk, and talk about TED.

Upvote 0
EDIT: I'm not bashing U2, which are a very good band.

Nah, bash U2. They haven't had a good song, let alone album, in probably ten years. They are teh scuk. I love when entertainers (actors, musicians, etc.) suddenly feel that since they're famous, their opinion should count more than others.

Sounds like a feel-good, get-nothing-done circle jerk to me. They'll all chat, and speechify and clap each other on the back and accomplish dick. Waste of time, money, food, space and air.

Oh, and for the record: Al Gore = a hypocritical moron. I hate that asshat. Anybody who's so much as RUN for president in the US in the last 20 or more years is a hypocritical jerk.

Upvote 0