• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What gamma setting do you use?

What gamma setting do you use?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 15.4%

Votes: 2 5.1%

Votes: 9 23.1%

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I change it from map to map

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • A gamma what?

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
Its going to be different for each monitor too and desktop brightness isn't it? I would just go for a darkish look but don't make it impact gameplay at all even on a v low gamma. Leningrad has a decent brightness even on a lowish gamma so increasing gamma doesn't really give you an advantage on that map, wheras maps like Partisan Forest are just unplayable for me because its so dark you know theres going to be people running around with ultra high gamma levels to compensate. I reckon most people change the gamma if they feel they can't see people well enough if they get the impression they are getting killed by people they couldn't see. Soon enough it will get to the point were everyone changes gamma whenever the map comes on so you might as well start with it bright enough that it doesn't affect gameplay imo. I have 0.8 btw, but I suppose it depends on how bright your windows is set as too

Upvote 0
My settings are as follows...

My CRT Monitor Hardware setting is at 50% for Brightness and 100% for Contrast, with the 'temp' level running at 9300K.

No changes in my Graphics Card 'profile'.

My RO Video Config settings are at .80 for Brightness, 1.1 for Gamma, and .7 for Contrast. I find that gives me the the best detail level in the light and dark areas, while still keeping the white areas 'white' and the dark areas 'black'. I don't change the settings in game for any map, it is what it is... :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Letum - the point is to establish how people view the game so that Ican create the optimum night-time setting without prompting people to just trun theor gamma all the way up, ruining the feel of the map and also unbalancing gameplay.

It is still pointless because every ones monitor, graphics card and ambient light in the room is different.
The in game gamma setting is only one of many factors that effect how bright the game is.
A poll like this shows nothing unless you know how bright the monitor naturally is, how bright the graphics cards natural state is, the graphics cards own settings and the brightness of the room as well as many other factors.

For example, if I plug in my LCD moniter I have to lower the gamma settings a bit, If I play in a brightly lit room I have to increace the gamma, but the image my eyes see is still the same.

Upvote 0
It is still pointless because every ones monitor, graphics card and ambient light in the room is different.
The in game gamma setting is only one of many factors that effect how bright the game is.
A poll like this shows nothing unless you know how bright the monitor naturally is, how bright the graphics cards natural state is, the graphics cards own settings and the brightness of the room as well as many other factors.

For example, if I plug in my LCD moniter I have to lower the gamma settings a bit, If I play in a brightly lit room I have to increace the gamma, but the image my eyes see is still the same.

I am well aware that the gamma setting is only one of many factors affecting the look of the game. It is, however, one that is actually easily quantifiable and gives a ball-park figure for average players' gamma settings in game.

It is perhaps only half the picture but knowing half is better than knowing none of it.

I can't stop people adjusting gamma, nor can I possibly predict what room lighting, screen temp seetings etc. they will have but, if I know that the average gamma setting is, say, 0.9, I can then create the map with that gamma setting in mind and then play with other settings to see what the full spectrum of possible appearances would be.

What prompted all this was the problems that have bedevilled Partisan Forest - people whining about TK's and about other players 'gamma-cheating'. It is a fine map but I want to do everything I can to avoid its pitfalls.

Upvote 0
What prompted all this was the problems that have bedevilled Partisan Forest - people whining about TK's and about other players 'gamma-cheating'. It is a fine map but I want to do everything I can to avoid its pitfalls.

I am not trying to be rude, I respect you and admire your maps and the work of C.Crosses, but isn't that a little like preventing wall hacks by making a map with no walls?

Partisan Forest is a very fine map.
It is vulnerable to gamma cheating, but only in the same way a map with lots of walls is vulnerable to wall hacks.

Sure, if you got rid of walls you would prevent wall hacks just like if you created a completely naturally lit map you would get rid of gamma cheating.
However, a map without walls will be dull just as a map with out dark areas and/or bright areas will also be dull*. *"dull" as in uninteresting, not dull as in dimly lit.

I don't think you should compromise on any part of your map, even aesthetically, in an attempt to prevent people from cheating.

Your intentions are clearly good, but in the same way that it's not the map maker's responsibility to prevent wall hacks by removing walls, it's not your responsibility to prevent gamma cheating by removing unusually dark and/or light areas.

After all, part of the reason Partisan Forest is such a good map is because of the lighting!

Upvote 0
That analogy is pretty crappy really, Letum..it might work if everyone had an inbuild wallhack that could be turned on by going into game options.

Personally I won't play a map that is too dark like Partisan Forest because people DO go to options to adjust the brightness and it really only takes 1 person to start cheating to ruin it for everyone, just like with WH's, but obviously you have to be an intentional cheat to do that and download a hack. With gamma cheating often people don't even realise they are cheating and just wanted to make the game how they assume everyone else sees it.

Upvote 0
That analogy is pretty crappy really, Letum..it might work if everyone had an inbuild wallhack that could be turned on by going into game options.

Personally I won't play a map that is too dark like Partisan Forest because people DO go to options to adjust the brightness and it really only takes 1 person to start cheating to ruin it for everyone, just like with WH's, but obviously you have to be an intentional cheat to do that and download a hack. With gamma cheating often people don't even realise they are cheating and just wanted to make the game how they assume everyone else sees it.

It is true that people assume something isn't a cheat just because it is easy.
That's why so many people download music, its easy so they assume its not really against the law, but ignorance is no defense.

The analogy still holds. If for some reason a wall hack was in options for a legitimate reason it still would not be the map makers responsibility to compromise his maps to prevent people abusing it.

You should not blame the map if there is nothing wrong with it when played on the correct settings.
You should blame the cheater, even if he is ignorant of his cheating.
Ignorance is no defense.

Gamma cheating, like wallhacks, does ruin a game, but the solution is not to remove varied light or walls.

One could argue that the loss of dark areas is a small price to pay to get rid of gamma cheating, but I think it is the lighting that makes Partisan Forest so good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One thing that you can guarentee from gamers (not all though obviously) is that they will take full advantage of anything that gives them a benefit. Firstly because they assume that if they can do it, then they should expect other people to be doing it too, so to prevent putting themselves at a disadvantage they use it too and secondly because some people just want to win and don't care the method they use to achieve that.

The WH analogy doesn't work because gamma cheating is the ONLY way you can cheat by going into the options, so thats the only one thats relevant to this game. It would be down to the game makers to remove the cheat, but thats not possible with this (everyone needs their own custom brightness to account for different monitors and desktop brightnesses) so its down to the map makers to do what they can to reduce the cheat's effectiveness in this case.

If it were any other cheat then obviously it wouldn't be down to the map maker but rather the game designers to remove the cheat, but this is pretty much the only type of cheat that is the responsiblity of the map maker rather than the game designers. Its like you think you could trust people not to use a wall hack if they had the option to use it whenever they felt like it on certain maps. For eg. I experimented with changing gamma on PF once and got kills that theres no way I would have got if I played properly. I haven't played that map since :D. As long as its a lot brighter than that map then it shouldn't be a problem.

Upvote 0