• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

When all that appears in chat is "~~~~~"

This "featurette" has been annoying me for a good 2 years now. I finally found the answer!!

The symptom: suddenly, for no apparent reason, when typing into chat, all that appears is the tilde "~" symbol. No obvious reason. It wasn't me using a built-in "rude git" filter - it was my keyboard.

The answer (finally): we've always suspected it is due to me having my PC/keyboard enabled for Russian (Cyrillic) characters and it switching somehow. Now I know how! If you use the Language Bar in any shape or form, it (by default) enables the Left-alt + shift key combo to switch between available languages. In my case it switches between English and Russian. Typing Russian in chat appears as the tilde symbol... and guess what "left-alt + shift" is in game? It is dive-to-prone from a sprint. Aha! So - I've changed the default key setting to Ctrl + shift instead...