• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best Tom Waits album?

Cheers for the info folks. I've gone from planning to buy 1 album to prolly buying 3 :eek: (pssst, don't tell the wife). Rain Dogs looks to be a cert but I haven't quite decided on the others yet. Prolly Mule Variations but I really can't decide on the last one.

As a matter of curiosity, how many of you Waits fans are also Zappa fans? Maybe even some Beefheart?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you want to get Beefheart you could go for the classic 'Trout Mask Replica', or even really go for a mind**** with 'Ice Cream for Crow'.

But I recommend the most accessible route as being 'Safe as Milk'. It has some absolute off-kilter belters in there such as 'Zig Zag Wanderer', 'Electricity' (where Van Vliet's voice makes you fear not just for his sanity but your own) and the dirty raunch-fest that is 'Plastic Factory'.

Upvote 0
Cheers for the info folks. I've gone from planning to buy 1 album to prolly buying 3 :eek: (pssst, don't tell the wife). Rain Dogs looks to be a cert but I haven't quite decided on the others yet. Prolly Mule Variations but I really can't decide on the last one.

As a matter of curiosity, how many of you Waits fans are also Zappa fans? Maybe even some Beefheart?

Yup i like the Mothers of Invention,Zappa and Beefheart too.

Theres a ton of Tom Waits vids both live and Offical on YouTube.

Upvote 0
I like Beefheart. I've got Trout Mask Replica but can't really be bothered to get any more of his stuff for the now.

Any of you guys checked out Marc Ribot's solo work? If you don't know him, he's a progressive jazz guitarist (with influences from rock, funk, punk, carribean music...) who has collaborated with Waits on several albums -- he's the guy that plays that groove on "Jockey Full of Bourbon". He really has a very recognisable sound... I would describe it as... searing. And voodoo. Searing voodoo jazz fusion.

Anyway, get his live album Yo! I Killed Your God. It is AMAZING.

Upvote 0
Is this phase 2 of "Best Tom Waits album?" thread for trying to find more
Zappaholics?:D

No, just that any Zappa fan I've met in RL tends to also like Tom Waits. I'm more of a Zappa fan than a Beefheart fan tbh but Waits is gaining ground on Zappa atm. TBF my major musical love is/are Roots reggae, Dub reggae and Rockers reggae.

Upvote 0