• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mantling?

I don't know either, but a quick look on Urban Dictionary brought this up:

Mantle 2 up, 3 down
To climb. This is rather an archaic use of the word, revived recently by the popular Thief series of computer games because of the unique abilities of the protagonist, Garrett.
Mantle up to the window ledge, wait behind the door and hit the guard with your blackjack when he enters.

Upvote 0
they should get rid of the ability to jump and replace it with a mantling system, because jumping is entirely useless and it serves no purpose in this game. it will work just like the bipod system. it detects a surface that is at a reasonable height to climb over, then you just press the key and youre over. add some player animations and its all set.

Upvote 0
they should get rid of the ability to jump and replace it with a mantling system, because jumping is entirely useless and it serves no purpose in this game. it will work just like the bipod system. it detects a surface that is at a reasonable height to climb over, then you just press the key and youre over. add some player animations and its all set.

Actually, by utilizing the jump code and adding to it, mantling can be accomplished. It would be nice.:)

Upvote 0
mantle or not, but jumping has to stay ingame. Cause i want just to JUMP over a trench and not to fall in and then "matle" out of it.

Just the animation for jumping could be fixed really ... it looks so ankward ...

thats how jumping should be like in game

kalda_stridid2_030304.jpg

by the way, that you still can shot while jumping is as well a strange thing ...

Upvote 0
mantle or not, but jumping has to stay ingame. Cause i want just to JUMP over a trench and not to fall in and then "matle" out of it.

Just the animation for jumping could be fixed really ... it looks so ankward ...

thats how jumping should be like in game

kalda_stridid2_030304.jpg

by the way, that you still can shot while jumping is as well a strange thing ...

Sure!!! A quick key press (spacebar) is a jump and a press and hold is a mantle.

Upvote 0
A thouhgt that occurred to me on this subject is that what is really required is a climbing animation and the rest can be done by 2 possible solutions

1 - putting ladder volumes (which are in the RO engine already) on either side of the wall and some kind of funky area at the top of the wall that handles the logic "climbed up this side? = drop down other side" or mebbe the ladder volume can be modded to create a 'wall volume' that does the same thing.

Wouldn't have thought creating the bit at the top to do that would be too much code but the animation would be a bastard and would require a lot of work.

Bug-testing would have to be pretty bodacious and there would be absolutely no support for this in maps as they are at the moment - some poor sod would have to go through every map and add the ladder volumes and the 'top of wall volumes' or the 'wall volumes' if they are possible.

2 -the same detection that shows you that a gun can be rested is applied. However it would only be applied if the player is standing - so if you are prone next to a box you could rest your gun on it but you wouldn't mantle, you would just stand up and hop/run over it. It also wouldn't apply to narrow gaps like windows or to resting on vertical surfaces (You can do it!! - trust me)

I think that with the present set-up something like this is too 'deep' in the coding to be put right without dramatically changing the entire game - and why spend time, money and effort changing a UE2.5 game?

VERDICT: Ain't gonna happen in this game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0