• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

These mid term election thingies

You're thinking in UK political terms, where the PM is there because his party holds a majority in the commons.

My understanding is that, although he wouldn't get the boot, it would be rather difficult for the president to get any new, republican-slanted, legislature passed if the Republicans lose their majority in congress. - check this site for an explanation of the executive-legislative-judicial distinctions of the US government.

It is, in theory, a rather neat system of government as systems of government go.

Upvote 0
Mid Term elections refer to elections that are held when there is no presidential election. 1/3 of our Senate is up for reelection (6 year Terms) and the entire House of Representatives is up for reelection (2 year Terms). The Presidential election is held every 4 years, hence the term 'Mid Term Elections'.

And Nestor is right about who controls Congress and what will get passed in regards to legislation if control is split between parties. Also difficult for Democrats to pass anything if they have a majority and the President vetoes it, unless the majority is so much they can override a presidential veto.

Wow, I did that without becoming political. :D

Upvote 0
Just for you non-US folks, the reason why our mid-terms are so important now is that for the first time in my living memory, one party has control over the white house, the house of representatives and the Senate.

Even during the 80's this could not be said.

This gives one party control over 2 out of the 3 branches of our government (Executive and Legislative). I also believe that one of our Supreme Court Justices just retired, and was replaced by someone who is considered more conservative than liberal. This upset the balance that had existed, and made the body, as a whole, Conservative dominated.

So, the Democrats are basically desperate to get control over SOME part of our government.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of our two party system. Neither party really represents my political point of view very well, but at the same time, if you vote 3rd party (someone besides the Dems or Repubs), you might as well just throw your vote away.

I also find it disturbing that as of late, people in our country are really divided along party lines. It's like people just believe what their party tells them to believe, and nothing else matters.

Upvote 0
Also, it's a wartime election, which historically results in a power-swap (rep-dem, dem-rep). However since the current war is so unpopular, that power swap could utterly cripple the government's ability to do anything, unless a large majority is won by one side or the other. A near 50/50 make up will result in nothing more than two more years of screaming and blame-gaming. The Senate isn't so bad, as senators tend to be more open to discussion and lengthy debate, but there are a few yahoos out there that refuse to budge from their party line.

Get enough of those in, you're looking at major slowdown in both houses, coupled with an unpopular president. Could be a wretched two years :p As long as one side has a clear majority, at least SOMETHING will get done.​

Upvote 0
Forgive me for reposting what I wrote in another forum elsewhere, but this was to give a Spaniard some perspective:
The United States typically only has two parties, Democrats and Republicans. Internal races were earlier. On Tuesday, it's the final deal.

There's a lot at stake this time -- basically, everything but the presidency. There's a bunch of local issues. There's the leadership of a large number of states/provinces.

There's also every seat in the House of Representatives -- one-half of the parliament, if you will -- and one-third of the U.S. Senate, the other half of the parliament.

One party, the Republicans, have controlled the House, the Senate and the Presidency (Bush) for some years. There's widespread speculation that the Democrats could take back at least one part of the parliament, largely over discontent over Bush, the War on Terror, Iraq, etc.

Depending on how you view the thing, this would either be a disaster or something that's been desperately needed. In the latter view, the parliament ("Congress") would quit being a rubber stamp for the president, and would begin actual oversight of the president.

American democracy is set up so that three parts are supposed to check the power of the others; you've got the president, Congress and the courts. Two of those have been ... closely aligned ... meaning there isn't a balance of power, and the presidency has become much stronger -- possibly illegally so.

Upvote 0
Some Governors are up for re-Election too, like Arnold here in Kalifornya.

The strange thing about the Supreme Court Justices, is it seems when they had to vote on legal pot, most of the Republicans/conservatives voted to support the States in legalizing it, and the Democrats/liberals voted to keep it illegal... :confused:

Libertarians are the Best Party, but they have a snowballs chance in hell of winning a major seat in congress.

The last independent to have a serious chance at the White House was H.Ross Perot in 1992.

And FYI all of our elections are held on Tuesdays, out of tradition.

Upvote 0
....I also find it disturbing that as of late, people in our country are really divided along party lines. It's like people just believe what their party tells them to believe, and nothing else matters.

I agree with you there. This is the worst since I can remember it. Whether for the right or wrong reasons, many people have taken up sides to the point that it seems that Democrats can only be liberals, and Republicans conservatives. Alot of the middle ground is disappearing.

Upvote 0
It's never a good thing for one party to control the House, Senate, and the White House. Whenever politicians can all agree with each other enough to get lots of things through. It's usually always a bad thing. It leads to more power for the government, and less power for the people. It doesn't matter which party. It happens every time. I prefer gridlock in the government.

I wish we could eliminate the parties. That way people would have to pay attention to who they were voting for. Instead of what party they represent.

Upvote 0
Buddy lee and Rameus are my friends. Spot on.

Unfortunately I won't get to vote since I'll have to drive 2 hours to vote and 2 hours back and I have a test the next day so I have to study. Almost feel bad because I emailed my congressman and told him whats up and they called me back 2 weeks later and I actually felt special but I imagine he'll get reelected anyway. Just wish I could vote for kinky. I dunno who I'd vote for congress except for Burgess. Oh well, I don't really like any of them anyway.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm just not voting this year. Period.

I don't like any of our people in power, in either party.

Goddamn, this country is starting to get bad about having professional politicians.

always had them and probably always will but we seriously need to change it. Being in congress shouldn't be a profession like it is but they'll never vote themselves out of power. Only if the people could do it...then the people that serve are actually wanting to serve, not get more money or more power.

Upvote 0
Must...hold...back...politcal...rant....

OK, just a few points.

I'll argue that the Republicans have defact control of the third branch of government, the Judical branch / Supreme Court. Bush's latest appointments are quite conservative. So we're looking at 3 out of 3 branches of the Federal Government under one party rule.

So just a primer for our non-American friends.

There are 3 branches of government, which are suppose to keep oversight over each other and check each other's power.

1) Legaslature - Congress (House of Representatives and Senate)- they write the laws
2) Judiciary - Federal courts - they intepret the laws (including the Constitutionality of laws)
3) Executive - President & His/her cabinet (Secretaries of Defense, State, etc) - they "enforce" the laws and typically have the power to decide which bills Congress passes become law (unless a super majority vote is made in Congress as mentioned earlier - which overrides the President's veto).

If you want to hear about dirty tricks - check out www.crooksandliars.com. Latest thing is the "Robocall scam" - which continually calls Democratic voters with a recorded message that sounds like it's from the Democratic candidate - calling half a dozen times, sometimes at 4 in the morning to piss off the voter so they won't vote. Turns out it's being done by the Republican National Congressional Committee. Don't forget the phone calls to African American areas telling them they'll be arrested if they vote and to vote on Wednesday (one day too late).

And one thing I need to mention about Libertarians. If they held the power, the economy would probably be booming until our environment collapses and things go south with mass global starvations and environmental catastrophe. On the other hand if the Green party held power, they'd pretty much destroy our economy and way of life, and probably bring about mass starvation due to a ruined economy (agriculture and distribution of goods would be screwed up), but the planet would survive. So we need the happy medium:D

So, as long as you agree with me, remember to vote! Just kidding, vote if you can.

Upvote 0
Vote!

Vote!

Buddy lee and Rameus are my friends. Spot on.

Unfortunately I won't get to vote since I'll have to drive 2 hours to vote and 2 hours back and I have a test the next day so I have to study. Almost feel bad because I emailed my congressman and told him whats up and they called me back 2 weeks later and I actually felt special but I imagine he'll get reelected anyway. Just wish I could vote for kinky. I dunno who I'd vote for congress except for Burgess. Oh well, I don't really like any of them anyway.

If you're in college you can either register at your college (for example at my nearby University, the student union is a polling place.), or vote at your home district with an absentee ballot. Vote! If you're registered at home call the local Board of Elections there, and also check the one near your campus. Even if its too late for you this time you should know for the next election. Vote!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. No good reason not to vote - even if you hate Republicans and Democrats.
Vote Libertarian, Vote something to tell those two parties you hate them both.

2. There is very little difference between Republicans and Democrats -
their true personal goals are make themselves wealthy and powerful.

There are important things on the line here that are being trampled right now
and I see neither party working to protect them.

1. Property Rights
2. Freedom of Speech

Mormegil was straight forward in the layout of all this. Except for the dirty tricks comment he is spot on - Remember BOTH parties have their bag of dirty tricks.

Sadly if you read what Marx said in his Communist Manifesto playbook - you will see the US Gvt is following that playbook quite well.

Upvote 0