• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade Discussion (Merged About 3000 Times)

Another fragmentation grenade the Soviets used apart from the RGD-33 was the RG-42. Which supposedly replaced the former.

rg42rr1.jpg

Upvote 0
My first idea on reducing grenade spam ties in with the theory behind reinforcements and dwindling equipment supplies and is therefore inherently different from the other suggestions. Easy to implement? Probably not.

Basically, everyone starts with 2 grenades as it is now. 100% Reinforcements = 2 Grenades (no matter how many deaths a player takes). When Reinforcements are reduced to 75%, each player will spawn with 1 Grenade. When Reinforcements are reduced to 40%, each player will spawn with 0 Grenades.

I think it simulates a long battle and equipment expenditure as the fighting wears on. The other bonus is the lack of spam and the fighting will become more tactical as time wears on. Also gives each team a reason to not die.

Second idea ties in with individual player deaths. 0-10 deaths = 2 grenades. 10-20 Deaths = 1 Grenade. 20+= 0 Grenades.

Upvote 0
i heart nade suicding on dumbass maps like boheme paradise .. its so much fun comin up behind 3 germans and going on pub chat and saying " hey guys look behind you", only to have them turn round and see you there with a primed nade .. *blamo*, then they all swear at you...

Dude, you're going about this all wrong.

Pistol whip 'em, duh.:cool:

Upvote 0
1. Only way I personally would accept limiting nades done is to randomly generate how many nades you have upon spawn. 33% 2 nades 34% 1 nade 33% 0 nades. After all you spawn as a different soldier everytime and not all soldiers will have the same loadout and it would reduce the amount of nades in game.
But I know this idea is fairly impopular within some parts of the clanning community since for some reason alot of clanners are alergic to anything that breaths randomness.
IMO opinion use this system or leave it as it is now (ok ok not like I would stop playing the game if another system would be implemented :cool: )

2. I whole heartedly disagree with you, in my most personal opinion throwing nades in different distances is fairly easy as it is. What I would like to change with grenades tho is to have a massive COF (cone of fire) or a very lose free aim area on throws which will not change much for short throws (trought close by windows doors etc) but will make it harder to do the long distance throws.

EDIT:// and overall nade spam is not a problem IMO has never been (yes I played the mod too) if a area is prone to catch alot of nades avoid it and it's no problem for you

EDIT2:// and now I see this thread is way old but I post my most uninportant opinions anyway

Upvote 0
I dont really like how jumping increases your throwing distance.

The other thing that annoys me is spring and throwing a grenade at the same time. Most of the time throwing a grenade is done standing still.

I would thing that if you tried to lob a grenade while sprinting you would find the grenade going in any kind of direction

Upvote 0
I have some thoughts on the use of grenades. I've looked around, but these things might've been mentioned before in a topic I'm unaware of, but here goes.

1. The amount of grenades
One thing that's rather irritating in some maps in the mod is simply the amount of grenades, and the grenade spam it causes. There have been many times when grenades are simply thrown all the time without any thought spent on it. Grenades should be used rather sparsely, to use at key positions when you have to clear a room. The beginning of rounds is a perfect example on many maps, the first thing both teams do is to rush out, and everyone throws every grenade they have at the positions they know the enemy is going to come from... not that realisitic in my view.
How about making a limit to the amount of grenades a team has?
Say, for example, that the amount of grenades a team has is 'reloading'. At the start of the round, the team has 5-6 grenades, distributed at random between the players. Then the team stack of grenades reloads slowly, maybe about one new grenade every 30 seconds. So the second wave of reinforcements gets far less grenades (if the second wave spawns 40 seconds after the first, only one grenade gets distributed among that wave). It would affect gameplay in the way that grenades gets a more tactical role, you wouldn't just waste them.
Another way to do it would be to have them as a reward for players. Perhaps helping a capture gets you one or two grenades as a reward for being useful for your team. Perhaps reward one grenade for every five kills? These grenades would be equipped at the next spawn for that player (of course, this could be put in a per-player grenade stack, so that a player can carry 2-3 grenades at max).

2. More control over grenade throwing/lobbing
This has to do with the "if it's easy in real life, it should be easy in the game" view the devs have. Among the hardest things in RO (or in any game) is to measure the length of a grenade throw, or throw it a chosen distance. Most notable, lobbing a grenade a short distance is harder in RO than making a very long throw. Why not add a distance control when throwing? One idea would be to make the mouse wheel a distance controller. When I push the mouse button to hold back the grenade, show a small bar on which I can roll the mouse wheel to choose the distance I want to throw, and upon release of the mouse button it would release and throw. Right now, when I see someone at a distance I push and hold the button to throw a grenade, then I see someone closing in on me at short distance but I know I will still throw the grenade at full force.

Well just two thoughts :)

Grenade usage is fine and is realistic and the amount available matches real life. They made tens of millions more greanades than rifles and soldiers, especially the Russians were told to use them whenever possible.
Usually the problem is not the grenade spam, it's people who insist on charging through the same path over and over despite KNOWING that there will be grenades coming there.
Kaukasus is an example, at the opening of the round, both sides charge towards choke points at the MOrtar and the Back Route. Both sides KNOW that just before the Back Route the Russians will be nading that narrow way, and at the Back Route the Germans know the Russians will be nading down the slope. What works? Simple, hold up, stand off until the nade storm is over then move in. I've done this with teams a lot. This is how grenades are supposed to be used, room clearing, "spamming" to prevent access to choke points etc.
It's when people charge through this again and again they complain. I've even naded a guy THREE times in the same place and he started trying to call a vote kick last week! LOL.
It's not the nades that are a problem, it's inflexible players who don't adapt and think.

Upvote 0
My first idea on reducing grenade spam ties in with the theory behind reinforcements and dwindling equipment supplies and is therefore inherently different from the other suggestions. Easy to implement? Probably not.

Basically, everyone starts with 2 grenades as it is now. 100% Reinforcements = 2 Grenades (no matter how many deaths a player takes). When Reinforcements are reduced to 75%, each player will spawn with 1 Grenade. When Reinforcements are reduced to 40%, each player will spawn with 0 Grenades.

I think it simulates a long battle and equipment expenditure as the fighting wears on. The other bonus is the lack of spam and the fighting will become more tactical as time wears on. Also gives each team a reason to not die.

Second idea ties in with individual player deaths. 0-10 deaths = 2 grenades. 10-20 Deaths = 1 Grenade. 20+= 0 Grenades.

We are not fighting long battles, we are fighting 15 to 45 minute battles. No need to have equipment shortages, just like there is no need to have realistically jamming weapons. The battles are short.
As for spam, see my post just above this.

Upvote 0