• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Post your clips for inspiration here!

Saving private ryan:

Defending the bridge against hords of germans w/ lack of manpower, muntions and equipment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ5UoOJ_-FQ&mode=related&search=

*** Gives good feel of suppression effect (sound and human reaction), Impact puffs, and Movement under fire.
------------------------------------------
Band of Brothers:

Fire exchange at an open field. Surprised by enemy armour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4KFTB8CL70

Gives a feel about a soldier morale and experience in battle (see how Blythe panics and recovers when the NCO is supporting him.
This could be done in RO by reducing suppression effect when close to the Squadleader or teammates.
*** Also notice how the reinforcements gives the men a morale boost, seemingly improving their momentum and accuracy.
--------------------------------------------
S.P.R:

Well... Kozy... He seem so sympathetic and kind.. SHhh Sh Shhh... Its ok... sssh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQaGKirA_nQ&search=Saving Private Ryan
---------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Band of brothers:

The battle of Carentan. Close city fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtLoMTYWQB4&mode=related&search=

*** Again shows MG supression potensial. Do you see anyone try to make a rifle shot at it as it fires at them?
Listen to the supersonic "bullet snaps" from the MG 42 as Dystlxy where explaining about.
*** Also take notice on the human reactions under stress (considering the reliabillity in that this movie where based on intervjues and cooperation with persons/personell who really participated the battles)
*** Shows the teamwork, moment and leadership... IE nobody runs around by their own, but stay in groups....

Upvote 0
ok, this is not major or anything, but look at the soldiers falling when they get shot. they just drop, unlike most games ( like in brothers in arms, flying backwards ) allmost all games just let their ragdolls fly backwards, except for Source games wich just has their ragdolls pulling down to fast :p in RO when standing up or running and you get killed, usually you land on your back too. they are great, but they land a bit to much on their back IMO. it would be nice to see some guys fall flat on their face once in a while,
moz-screenshot.jpg
like in that BoB movie in carentan ( part 1) one guy runs into a chicken cage or whatever its called, and the other one gets shot by a sniper and falls flat on his face

Upvote 0
I don't think RO karma system considers how much momentum you have on which direction when calculating ragdolls. So there's no difference between being killed while walking or sprinting.

That may be the problem. If it takes these into account, then they should be adjusted a bit I say :)

Upvote 0
ok, this is not major or anything, but look at the soldiers falling when they get shot. they just drop, unlike most games ( like in brothers in arms, flying backwards ) allmost all games just let their ragdolls fly backwards, except for Source games wich just has their ragdolls pulling down to fast :p in RO when standing up or running and you get killed, usually you land on your back too. they are great, but they land a bit to much on their back IMO. it would be nice to see some guys fall flat on their face once in a while,
moz-screenshot.jpg
like in that BoB movie in carentan ( part 1) one guy runs into a chicken cage or whatever its called, and the other one gets shot by a sniper and falls flat on his face

Yes agree.... It would give a better feel if the soldiers dropped dead, instead of hollywood effects... Its a bit creepy when it looks real... holywood makes it "cool"... but really ruins my day...

NB: your picture didnt show...

Upvote 0
Another BOB movie:

Attack on a 88 battery with about 4 guns or so and a interconnected trench system.

They claim that the tactics used in this clip is still taught in modern combat today (with a few adjustments)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UBz-FtGwZA&mode=related&search=

*** Notice how the teams are coordinating their attacks, using suppression fire and leapfrog advances.
In current RO, people are running solo uncoordinated and wihtout a common goal... WHich is sad in a realsm genre.
*** Also its interessting that one of the privates survive a nade 2m away by diving to the ground.... In RO you are dead regardless standing or prone.

Upvote 0
oh my god Teq you really don't know what you are talking about, do you

In RO, you can survive a grenade by taking cover behind a sidewalk. Try it. On Odessa, throw a grenade on a sidewalk. Go prone against the gutter. Watch as you DON'T DIE.

This is like the third time I've had to directly contradict you in as many minutes.

Also: STOP ACTING LIKE MOVIES ARE REALISTIC GOD DAMNIT

edit: you can't force people to use proper tactics god damnit

Upvote 0
oh my god Teq you really don't know what you are talking about, do you

In RO, you can survive a grenade by taking cover behind a sidewalk. Try it. On Odessa, throw a grenade on a sidewalk. Go prone against the gutter. Watch as you DON'T DIE.

This is like the third time I've had to directly contradict you in as many minutes.

Also: STOP ACTING LIKE MOVIES ARE REALISTIC GOD DAMNIT

edit: you can't force people to use proper tactics god damnit

I wont take this discussion here.
And if you say so, make me some footage when you go prone about 5-10m from the explotion (not in a depression) but in an open area, and dont die..
POst it here on this post so I can see, then tell me I dont know anything ok? :) I will glady admit I am wrong... or atleast bring in a picture ok?

and yes... some movies are more realistic than others....
Though ofcourse still movies made for idiots like us, which dont have a clue.. BUt BOB was made according to intervjues with the actual persons who experienced the battles... So some reliabillity is present I am quite sure.

No, you cant force people to work in teams... But in reality if you face 100 enemies, would you like to run against them alone ? if you answer no:
Can you blame them for forcing you to work as a team? :D

I would probably work close to my mates.... But offcourse nobody forces you... and I hope I dont fight with you by my side in reality :) cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi.

shot00137jz3.png

shot00139ig7.png

Standing, roughly two meters away, from a grenade explosion on flat ground.

The scene portrayed in Band of Brothers is fairly unrealistic. German "potato masher" grenades depended on concussive effect to kill and wound, meaning if you're on open ground and the grenade is close, there is little-to-no chance for you to survive, merely because blast effect doesn't have a habit of 'missing'.

edit: by the way, you don't know anything

Upvote 0
Hi.

Standing, roughly two meters away, from a grenade explosion on flat ground.

The scene portrayed in Band of Brothers is fairly unrealistic. German "potato masher" grenades depended on concussive effect to kill and wound, meaning if you're on open ground and the grenade is close, there is little-to-no chance for you to survive, merely because blast effect doesn't have a habit of 'missing'.

edit: by the way, you don't know anything

:D well, good pics, but its strange, cause I die 100% at the same situation... :p
Secondly, I think you should be dead or knocked out if you dive face toward a fragnade.... And yes, u are right concussion nades dont miss...

Upvote 0
hollywood hehehe great way to learn the truths of war:rolleyes:
5-10 meters? that is quite a distance to kill with a grenade. I'm almost certain that fragmentation grenades have a kill radius of 10 meters at best in open ground.

Hollywood or not, if it portrays physical reality you can learn from it....
Offcourse not been @ war, but done my millitary service and have friends done spec ops and foreign legion.
I trust them more than most others to portray the truth of combat as well as my own experiance throwing fragnades at the Grenade range against siluettes and in trenches.... And well... its quite fun :)

From what I learned in the Service, the norwegian fragnade has about 30m kill potential (if you are standing with no cover)
The shrapnells seem to loose kinetic energy pretty fast but can still cause shock you and wound or blind you.

The closer you are to the ground, the higher the chance for avoiding shrapnell (ie less fragments heading your direction)...
If a nade lands nearby and there is no cover, you dive away ass towards the nade covering your head and vital organs.
A concussion grenade is not that dangerous outside but close it can knock you out even if you dive.
but still it helps to be closer to the ground ass towards the nade.

This is what I learned, but havent tested it out yet, I just trusted the field manual and my leadership experience.

When I see this portrayed in a movie, well I think It is realitic... If something does not, I think otherwise.

Btw: I've heard that the infiltration nades are quite close to the real thing, sending out fragments.
I dont know if RO nades do that (as I see no shrapnell hitting the surroudings)

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't stand these dumb hollywood movies like SPR & BOB and most other big hollywood productions "Windtalkers" LOL BWAAAAAHHAHAHAHA!, that movie was stupid beyond belief! Who the hell assaults a town by running directly down the center of the road going into it? Who the hell drives a tiger tank into an area swarming with American infantry rather than blow them to **** from a distance? Who the hell exposes themselves in combat so non-chalantly? Why do the Germans always shoot 500times less accurately against EXPOSED SOLDIERS than the Americans? These movies are just dumb and not realistic...visually and aurally entertaining but not realistic (Yes I've seen both SPR & BOB). I'm still waiting for a realistic war movie. Steven Speilberg & Tom Hanks don't know jack **** about tactics that's for sure. Not to mention the canned bravado banter between soldiers. I guess documentaries are the only hope as no one wants to make a true portrayal of war.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't stand these dumb hollywood movies like SPR & BOB and most other big hollywood productions "Windtalkers" LOL BWAAAAAHHAHAHAHA!, that movie was stupid beyond belief! Who the hell assaults a town by running directly down the center of the road going into it? Who the hell drives a tiger tank into an area swarming with American infantry rather than blow them to **** from a distance? Who the hell exposes themselves in combat so non-chalantly? Why do the Germans always shoot 500times less accurately against EXPOSED SOLDIERS than the Americans? These movies are just dumb and not realistic...visually and aurally entertaining but not realistic (Yes I've seen both SPR & BOB). I'm still waiting for a realistic war movie. Steven Speilberg & Tom Hanks don't know jack **** about tactics that's for sure. Not to mention the canned bravado banter between soldiers. I guess documentaries are the only hope as no one wants to make a true portrayal of war.

Some footage here:

http://www.hbo.com/band/recreating_the_war/currahee.html

ANd some datas here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers

Some documentary here (great description of the phases during some of the campaigns)

http://www.hbo.com/band/ww2/index.html

Talk to the veterans and get their view on things here:

http://www.hbo.com/band/resource_center/cmp/rc_reference.html

Stories about or from the veterans here:

http://www.hbo.com/apps/band/site/client/search/prewall_stories.jsp

------------------------------
Some of the stuff is dramatisized to keep the common persons low span 5 minute attention....
But some of it seems informative.
Give comments after studying this...

---------------------------

Regarding your comments that they do stupid things like standing exposed and such, maybe you are right.
From what I think, I beleive the camera angle and perception deceive me abit,
cause they look open as the camera is often underneith their the actors head levels.
Some of the BOB series I agree, they are strange or unconnected.
Saving private ryan was compressed a bit too much to create enough action for people I guess...
but the phsysical realities I think is still there.

The landings I feel that they took the boats too close to the MG bunkers and some tactical strange portraits.

So im not saying the WHOLE movie is realitic, but some elements are according to my sources.
------------------
Regarding windtalkers, red thin line and many others, I think they do not portray realism as detailed as SPR and BOB.
In fact I didnt even bother to watch them to the end....

Last edited:
Upvote 0