• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My RO Suggestions (Please Read)

Xiao

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
Red Orchestra is without doubt the best WWII game ever released; but I think it still, of course, has room for improvement. Here are some things I'd like to see.

1. Expansion Pack
Think about it. Red Orchestra: Westfront 41-45. I know this is totally not RO (and yes I've been playing RO since the mod launch), but it would be awesome. Add two new armies, (Say America and Japan) and a bunch of new maps and release it for 10 bucks. A heavily-scripted D-Day map wouldn't hurt either. Or a paratrooper mod anyone?

2. Better Blood / Dust effects
The particle effects in this game are not very well done. The explosions are an exeption, but shooting walls and people just looks..... well, weak. Dust should fly in chunks out of walls, rather then a strange looking swirley cloud of puffs. There should also be more spark effects. The blood effects are terrible. We don't need more blood, but we certainly need better blood. Right now we have stupid-looking puffs of steam - we need a small spray. This may sound like more blood, but no, not more blood, mind you - just better looking blood. It can't look like mist - it should look like liquid! The gore is fine however. Also, when you shoot someone, not only blood but dust should kick out of their shirts as it would in real life. The bullet impact startles the dust on your shirt and it poofs out like blood would, but there's a lot more of it then there would be blood.

3. Body Awareness
For those of you who don't know what this is, it's basically the ability to look down and see your entire body, always. The best example is the game Dark Messiah.

4. Better Melee Combat
Call of Duty 3 has this done perfectly. The current melee system is awful.

5. Camo'd snipers
Really, wouldn't it be awesome to have the snipers in full ghille? Make 'em look rough. At least give them a ghille suit.

6. More noises from your player
I like the breathing sound effect after sprinting, but we need all sorts of grunts.

7. Improved Hipshooting animations
All hipshooters look like noobs in this game. Not because they're hipshooting but because the animation is terrible. It looks like they're trying to stab someone behind them with their shoulderblades when they look up or around. If you put your gun to your hip in real life, you can hardly see it. Make "hipshooting" more like shouldershooting (like in Counter-Strike, when you're not firing) for it to be realistic.

8. Better Vehicle Entering / Exiting
It's truely terrible right now. Sorry, but it is. Your guy magically appears in the tank and then magically dissapears out of it, usually with somehow broken legs. It would be awesome to have full-body awareness in these tanks, as well, like being able to look down and see your body sitting down and your arms attached to the controls. But how awesome would it be to have a 1st-person entering animation where you see your guy put away his weapon, open the door, get in, shut the door and voila.

Last edited:
Methinks most of this has been mentioned before. Gather your riot gear, some of the 'usual suspects' will be around to whine about search features and all shortly ;)

For the record, there was a dinosaur hunting game some years ago that had full body awareness done very well, probably the best to date. Well, except for the fact that you were a D cup female in a tank top, and all you could see was cleavage (and now and then a foot or a gun).

I know, it's totally unrelated, but it still makes me chuckle every time someone brings up full body awareness in games. There was even a little heart tatoo.

Upvote 0
1. Would take alot of time, personally i would like to see how tripwire would handle the western front

2. Ive never really noticed, but when shooting walls the dust effects should be like DOD:s (i know its dod but it does look good) ie alot bigger than they are now.

3. Totally 110% agree, this would make the game so much more realistic and not just looking down at your body, maybe have a free look system like Op:flash, another game that does this well is Riddick. Atm i feel like a disembodied pair of arms with a camera behind it.

edit: That game was trespasser tak :), and the heart tatto was the health indicator iirc, more games need full body awarness imo, especially RO!

4. The melee in RO could do with tweaking definaltey (have you got a vid of the cod3 melee btw) but it would take a hell of a lot of work i think anims, coding etc.

5. Im not sure the snipers had ghillies on the Ostfront, dont quote me on it though. But it would be nice to have the snipers look different in some way or another.

6. Agreed, like a grunt or scream when you are injured, i think they are already there but they seem a bit too quiet.

7. could be interesting, but then again the anims have never really bothered me.

Upvote 0
5. Camo'd snipers
Really, wouldn't it be awesome to have the snipers in full ghille? Make 'em look rough. At least give them a ghille suit.

We do not have snipers in this game. Those are "marksmen" with scoped rifles aka normal infantry men with skill more than average guy, and they are organic part of the infantry squad (at least with soviets), so there is no need to have ghillies.

I think that ghillies were used mostly by snipers, who ambushed officers, NCO:s, spotters and things like that, and spend whole day hiding in same spot without moving. There a ghillie suit is needed. Not when you are on the move all the time with your squad.

Upvote 0
We do not have snipers in this game. Those are "marksmen" with scoped rifles aka normal infantry men with skill more than average guy, and they are organic part of the infantry squad (at least with soviets), so there is no need to have ghillies.

I think that ghillies were used mostly by snipers, who ambushed officers, NCO:s, spotters and things like that, and spend whole day hiding in same spot without moving. There a ghillie suit is needed. Not when you are on the move all the time with your squad.
Are you retarded or something? My grandfather was a combat sniper in WWII.

If they aren't snipers why does their class name say "Sniper"?

Snipers were not restricted to camping - this is the stupidest sniper-related belief I have ever heard. Combat snipers moved ALL THE TIME.

Upvote 0

Snipers were not restricted to camping - this is the stupidest sniper-related belief I have ever heard. Combat snipers moved ALL THE TIME.

No. Im not retarded or something. Obviously made my arguments quite badly.

No, I do not mean that snipers must be camping all the time. Thats just what snipers do. "Combat snipers"are maybe different story.

Marksmen are on the move with squad. Snipers work usually alone or in pairs, as a spotter and sniper and move quite little, when they find a good ambushing point.

And the class name might be sniper thats why, because it sounds good. Better than: guy with scoped rifle.

ps. my grandfather was just ordinary infantyman in eastfront WWII, so maybe thats why Im retarded, and can`t comprehend these sniper things.:)

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra is without doubt the best WWII game ever released; but I think it still, of course, has room for improvement. Here are some things I'd like to see.

1. Expansion Pack
Think about it. Red Orchestra: Westfront 41-45. I know this is totally not RO (and yes I've been playing RO since the mod launch), but it would be awesome. Add two new armies, (Say America and Japan) and a bunch of new maps and release it for 10 bucks. A heavily-scripted D-Day map wouldn't hurt either. Or a paratrooper mod anyone?

Hold On Hold On :confused:

The Japanese fought on the western front? I need to read more history books:eek:

Upvote 0
4.That thing in the trailer of CoD3 was most likely pre-scripted,I REALLY doubt the game is gonna have a melee system like that,but its a nice idea anyway.
5.Hmm I'd rather have Camo smocks and pants,the sniper model in CoH looks awesome,thats how I'd like to look,but not on all maps,a fall/summer camo smock would look silly on Krasnyi or Kessel,would it not? :eek:

The other ideas are all okay by me :)

Upvote 0
Hold On Hold On :confused:

The Japanese fought on the western front? I need to read more history books:eek:
Well, they didn't, but you know what I mean. That wouldn't be the actual name. The point is get the US and some other major country (britain?) Into the game.

4.That thing in the trailer of CoD3 was most likely pre-scripted,I REALLY doubt the game is gonna have a melee system like that,but its a nice idea anyway.
5.Hmm I'd rather have Camo smocks and pants,the sniper model in CoH looks awesome,thats how I'd like to look,but not on all maps,a fall/summer camo smock would look silly on Krasnyi or Kessel,would it not? :eek:

The other ideas are all okay by me :)

Yeah the CoH sniper looks pretty awesome.

The CoD3 movie I linked to was not pre-scripted, it was a gameplay video. There are many other videos if you just search for them on Youtube that show this same system in many different situations (including online).

EDIT: I updated the main post with stuff about exiting and entering vehicles. Check it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Xiao said:
1. Expansion Pack
Well, IMO mods are exactly for these things.
Xiao said:
2. Better Blood / Dust effects
The particle effects in this game are not very well done. The explosions are an exeption, but shooting walls and people just looks..... well, weak. Dust should fly in chunks out of walls, rather then a strange looking swirley cloud of puffs. There should also be more spark effects. The blood effects are terrible. We don't need more blood, but we certainly need better blood. Right now we have stupid-looking puffs of steam - we need a small spray. This may sound like more blood, but no, not more blood, mind you - just better looking blood. It can't look like mist - it should look like liquid! The gore is fine however. Also, when you shoot someone, not only blood but dust should kick out of their shirts as it would in real life. The bullet impact startles the dust on your shirt and it poofs out like blood would, but there's a lot more of it then there would be blood.
Agreed, but particles take alot of power...
Xiao said:
3. Body Awareness
For those of you who don't know what this is, it's basically the ability to look down and see your entire body, always. The best example is the game Dark Messiah.
Dark Messiah is nice, but I prefer the way like in Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway or Trespasser or Operation Flashpoint.

This could mean that third-person animations will finally look good! :D
Xiao said:
4. Better Melee Combat
Call of Duty 3 has this done perfectly. The current melee system is awful.
I think Red Orchestra's melee system is really good, even though it could use some tweaks.

Call of Duty 3's melee system looks very Hollywood-like IMO.
Xiao said:
5. Camo'd snipers
Red Orchestra doesn't feature snipers. It does have a stupid left-over from the mod naming it the "sniper"-class but you can forget that. :D

Red Orchestra has sharpshooters (or for veterans of the United States and Great Britain forces; marksmen ;)) which basically are regulars grunts which have had special training for scoped rifles and fight in regular fireteams.
Xiao said:
6. More noises from your player
I like the breathing sound effect after sprinting, but we need all sorts of grunts.
Yeah I agree somewhat, but it also removes the "stealthy" piece which makes some maps exciting...
Xiao said:
7. Improved Hipshooting animations
All hipshooters look like noobs in this game. Not because they're hipshooting but because the animation is terrible. It looks like they're trying to stab someone behind them with their shoulderblades when they look up or around. If you put your gun to your hip in real life, you can hardly see it. Make "hipshooting" more like shouldershooting (like in Counter-Strike, when you're not firing) for it to be realistic.
Actually, I thought soldiers in WW2 were training to always attack from the melee-attack position (weapon to hip height) only when they aren't attacking/moving they use ironsights.
Xiao said:
8. Better Vehicle Entering / Exiting
Xiao said:
It's truely terrible right now. Sorry, but it is. Your guy magically appears in the tank and then magically dissapears out of it, usually with somehow broken legs. It would be awesome to have full-body awareness in these tanks, as well, like being able to look down and see your body sitting down and your arms attached to the controls. But how awesome would it be to have a 1st-person entering animation where you see your guy put away his weapon, open the door, get in, shut the door and voila.
Totally agree, nothing to add... ;)

Upvote 0

Different things mate.

A sniper, the sort dressed in a ghille suit and all that, is not attached to a squad, he either works alone, with a spotter, or with another sniper (or a combination of the two), but not with a squad, infact you'll probably never see thease guys on the frontline, their job is to go further, infiltrate deeply into enemy territory and either deal with very specific targets, or generally try to spread confusion and terror by taking down the chain of command.

Thats not what we have in RO, they are marksmen, or squad snipers or "designated marksmen", they are not the same breed as the above mentioned sniper, who are very specialized and specially trained, no, thease guys are sharpshooters attached to a squad, and who move with their squad just like any other soldier, they dont wear ghille suits (and i know the Ruskies did not outfit them with any special uniform, and i dont think the Gerries did either), and they dont have any special training, they where just the best marksmen in their squad and where therefor fitted with an appropriate weapon, and orders fitting it.

Thease two breeds of "sniper" should not be confused with eachother, they are not the same, and they dont perform the same job.

Upvote 0
To SgtHenry's post...

1 - Yeah but no one would download it (or at least not as many people as if it was official), and the maps, models, and new stuff would be complete crap compared to official RO stuff. Like the beachassault map - nice, but not nearly as nice as anything official.

2 - They actually don't really take that much. Better particle effects wouldn't take any more power then the current ones - the sprites themselves need to be upgraded, that's all. And perhaps more particles too.

4 - It's terrible. Nothing like real melee at all. People run around in circles until one gets in a stab. It looks retarded.

5 - Well basically, what I mean is that we need a new model for the "sniper", if only to make him look cool. Take off the stupid russian hat and give him longer hair or something.

7 - But were they trained to look around unnaturally and stupid like they do in the game?

Upvote 0