• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server restricted access server Admins forum?

2Manny

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2006
www.2manny.com
Hey Gents,

I was just trying to contact another server's admin for a bit of info on a problem player, and I thought that it might make sense for there to be a restricted-access forum category here on TW's main RO forums, where confirmed server admins could pool information.

Would be great if we could share the kind of information that typically gets edited out, or locked down by TW's forum admins.

I suppose if this is out of the question for some reason, one of us could simply create a sub-forum on one of our own forums, but I doubt that would be as effective as a centralized location here.

Just a thought.

Elitist? hmmm

I guess I can see how the average player might not like the idea of that - especially if they like to jump into servers and TK till they're banned just for the fun of it - but by way of analogy, I can also imagine how the average class-cutting high school student might prefer that his/her teachers never spoke to each other. But they do, and they must, and it's obviously in the best interest of the school to do so.

Seems to me that most of us who run the servers put in a lot of time, trying to help the RO community to flourish and grow - and having a centralized place to freely exchange information (without fear of every word being scrutinized and edited) would only seem to help that, and wouldn't that be in Tripwire's best interests?

I dunno - sure makes sense to me. Am surprised something like this hasn't already been put into place.

Upvote 0
Well personally I think TW could do with gathering as much info as possible about how this online only game performs on different servers.

I do think that TW need to engage much more wider ranging discussions with many more admins in order to get the very best from this engine on the various OS's out there.
More accurate server specs need to be given in order to make sure people don't waste their time trying to run this game on something that simply won't cut it.
And in my opinion much more effort should be put into getting the game to run more efficiently and reliably with 32 players before TW embark upon adding even more content.

This last patch again seems to have pushed up resources and as a result we have all seen the various complaints from players about laggy servers where the same servers were not laggy before the patch?;)

Upvote 0
Over at roladder.net we created such a forum quite a while back in the mod days. It doesnt see much activity atm, but there is a thread with banlists from various servers which has grown to quite respectable length.

If you want access, head over, register, and write me a PM.
I understand if you prefer this forum here, just a suggestion though :)

Upvote 0
Having an ADMINS ONLY forum here with access for all TW people is an excellent idea. It can only foster better performing servers throughout the RO Community.

and why exactly does discussion about performance and settings have to be in a "private" forum? Thats the worst possible idea, and yes, elitist.
Those things are no information that should be kept to a certain group.
The only thing that shouldnt be public are ROIds and Nicks of banned players, cause we already seen those witchhunts that happen when you say such thing in public.

Upvote 0
For the point that possible problems with serial Tk'ers/server wreckers can be shared and thus avoided its a good idea. By better performing servers, I think Mike means the 'whole experience' maps, settings,specs etc and sharing details about such things can only be usefull. The only reason for restricted access would be sharing of wrongdoers names etc.

Upvote 0
For the point that possible problems with serial Tk'ers/server wreckers can be shared and thus avoided its a good idea. By better performing servers, I think Mike means the 'whole experience' maps, settings,specs etc and sharing details about such things can only be usefull. The only reason for restricted access would be sharing of wrongdoers names etc.

sharing everything can already be done no need for a forum thats locked for everybody else for that =\.

Only when server admins under each other are discussing players that should be banned, or other things (like map bugs admins should be aware of while adminning) knowledge of what possible cheating stuff went through and who use it how to recognize certain illegal game users.. Should they keep it private.

Upvote 0
sharing everything can already be done no need for a forum thats locked for everybody else for that =\.

Only when server admins under each other are discussing players that should be banned, or other things (like map bugs admins should be aware of while adminning) knowledge of what possible cheating stuff went through and who use it how to recognize certain illegal game users.. Should they keep it private.

I think thats what I said matey :D

Upvote 0
I think it would be a great idea if there was forum or a sticky thread with people to ban on every server. That way it would be easier for server admins to keep track of tkers and to prevent tking on their server as tkers will have no place to go anymore.

And maybe only allowing admins to read/write in this thread/forum would be a good idea to avoid witchhunts as someone has mentioned before.

Question: Would it be possible to create a Webadmin that would link to a file with people to ban e.g. like Adblock for Firefox where you can synchronize the sites that should be adblocked?
That way a lot of work would be removed of the admins.

Upvote 0
More than happy to share details of our "bad boys" as long as its with proper admins.
All our bans have been for deliberate TK'ing ( ie warned,ignored,warned again,banned) or for deliberate TK'ing at spawn (satchels, people shot with pistols etc) deliberate vehicle damage at spawn (engaging friendly call signs/tanks) spawn killing opposition (shooting into spawn areas: Ogledow a good example) and finally objectionable behaviour, be it unacceptable names or deliberate antisocial behaviour. In most cases peeps were warned at least twice. One, the "c**t of Montechristo" (ahem, fill in the blanks) was warned at least 3 times.

Upvote 0
Ive been trialing a few things to manage problematic players on our two servers and it seems to work well so far -

FF kill limit = 10

FF punishment = session ban

Kickvote percent = 33

This setup allows artillary commanders room to move, but gives serial TK'rs a rest.

It also gives players some teeth as the kickvote setup is useless at 51% as its difficult to get a full server to get a coordinated vote and if successfull and the punishment is only set to kick. The problem player just jumps back in and goes on a killing spree before exiting.

Under these settings a successfull "votekick" = "session ban" and allows the community to administrate the server in the adsence of an Admin.

Less Admin input is a bonus for server Admins :)

Upvote 0
Totally agree with the Kick Vote percentage lowering, that would work! However the flaw |:CNTZ:|V|Mick in your set up as i see it would be making the kick set @ 10, this would have NO EFFECT on TK'S and but would have a benefit for Arty commanaders.

My own feelings on kicking repeat offenders is 3 or 4 is more than enough to warrant a warning, another offence another warning. Do it once more and your gone for that session. Come back and do it again and you are banned permenently.

Upvote 0
My own feelings on kicking repeat offenders is 3 or 4 is more than enough to warrant a warning, another offence another warning. Do it once more and your gone for that session. Come back and do it again and you are banned permenently.

problem is, that most servers dont have a 24/7 admin, on most servers i nearly never see a admin (even if you ask for one)
thats why i prefer the own server, where i can prevent tk-frag-parties.

for the time we have no admin around i setup the server with 5tk (all 100% scaled) -> session ban.

Upvote 0