• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Sniper Tactics

use the shadows, dont go lie somewhere in the burning sun, you'll be spotted easily. being in shadows greatly reduces your visibility.
( so not next to a tree but under the tree, lie in the shadowside of a building, etc )
also, maybe not for snipers, but a good tactic nonetheless... dont move in front of the treeline, but behind the treeline.

Upvote 0
The truth behind a sucessful sniper, is that you do move. Eventually, people figure out where you are, and will try to kill you.

The best you can do though, is to not move at all, ironically.

Follow your mates into battle, but stay out of it. Stay behind, so you can support them. I've been in cc with my sniper before, and phew, that was a hell. :p

So stealth carefully around on maps. If you think the enemies has suspected you, move!

Upvote 0
Sniper should go along with the team and support it ESPECIALLY when the team is attacking. Most snipers are noobs just camping 24/7. B4 there were smokenades, Odessa was nearly impossible for the Russians if there was good teamplay on the german team. The sniper was the only key for succes then. And 9 out of 10 times the sniper does not support the team at all.

Upvote 0
From personal experience from sniping in several games, certain things that are usually rule of thumb turn out to be a tad ineffective.

Here are some other tactics to try...

1. Use the sniper rifle to cover an advance. Do not just stand up and snipe though, make sure you are hidden and cuz down on key threats so your team mates and safely advance.

2. Avoid high places. During WWII it became routine to level tall buildings because of snipers. Try to find odd locations to hide in or around. Try to find a location that provides enough range, but try not to pick a location that is completely expected.

Upvote 0
only in a few maps do I essentially "sniper." what I really do is either sit back long range with a Karabiner 98, open sights, and pick 'em off as they get close to me. When I have a sniper rifle, it essentially is either on S-gradKessel, where I go sit in the warehouses and pick off russkies from beams and a staircase up high, or on Odessa where I hide out in the tower or I am a Russian w/ a MN Sniper on the rooftop where all the russians like to go. For some reason the scoped rifles are less accurate for me, although when I am on roll with them, I find the bolt action rifles to be more accurate.

Upvote 0
Pay attention to the color of your uniform and hide accordingly. German uniforms blend nicely in urban areas. Russian winter white blends well...in snow! (amazing, isn't it?) Russian brown uniforms do well out in open fields but not as well in town.

Someone asked earlier which scope detail was easier. To avoid confusion, I'm gonna go with "All black", "medium sized" and "small sized" as descriptors.

I personally prefer "all black" for long range sniping when I know there's no enemy around me. I tend to prefer "medium sized" when I'm in a bit closer and I may go with "small size" if I know I'm gonna be in close combat.

For weapon selection, it depends entirely on your engagement range, I think. On most RO maps, you won't have a semi-auto sniper rifle available, so get good with the bolt. Incidentally the "all black" views on the German and Russian scopes are different. I find the Russian one preferable, as I do with their rifle sights in general (I prefer the smaller sight picture). But if you're going to have a risk of being in close, you want the semi-auto for faster hipshooting.

Upvote 0
A Sniper shouldn't be in one area camping. In real life, after a Sniper shot, he either moved right away, or counted to 30 or 60. Since this is a video game after each shot I count to 15 or so, if I see nothing else in that area, I move out. You should never be in a spot thats obvious, here are a few examples from Stalingrad Kessel:

Never snipe from the roof or the staircase that leads up to the roof if you are German. Never snipe on any of the stair cases or platforms in the buildings. Try to stay in the dark areas, and corners. A persanol favorite of mine on Stalingrad is a place that has two windows. But the room is half covered in rubble so when you prone, you are a bit lower than the windows. And the windows are on the very bottom, you can see allot of the building because there is a hole in the wall about 20m in front of you that shows the whole other part of the building. The good thing about this spot is that its dark, and nobody ever looks there. There are two entrances though, one from either side of you, but if an enemy ever goes there, you can just shoot him in the back with your pistol, or completely avoid him.

Upvote 0
Someone asked earlier which scope detail was easier. To avoid confusion, I'm gonna go with "All black", "medium sized" and "small sized" as descriptors.

I personally prefer "all black" for long range sniping when I know there's no enemy around me. I tend to prefer "medium sized" when I'm in a bit closer and I may go with "small size" if I know I'm gonna be in close combat.

How to change scope detail level?

Upvote 0
I personally ...Desipised thebolt action rifles...

I think I was absolutely horrible with them until yesterday... I was picking people off really fast...
I guess it is all about getting use to it, taking your time and making the shot count.

as for sniping... Odessa... give me the semi automatic... and I will be killing masses...

The goal of a sniper, according to me.

Is to cover your team and get rid of obstacles that gives them trouble such as MG's
I usually move after a group of people has moved up...

My best sniper experience is in odessa, I had the bolt action garbage, as a russian, we finally capped the tower, so I was taking down many many germans from the tower to the headcorders..

Yes I still consider myself a noob or as I call myself an ACTION Noob... since I do move around a lot and I am never lost anymore... and I still manage to get on top of the list most of the times...

Yet only now, I am starting to notice a good difference in accuratie between bolt rifle and semi...

However, I still prefer semi auto rifle and smg's(specially the german smg's) because my style actually has an order.

From spawn
Charge and cover as close as intended cap zone... camp, view, examine the area, if you have friendly's up front... join them, if not, cover and if all is clear withing the time you rested, go to the cap zone while keeping cover...
My main goal is always to cap, then to kill. if I cant cap, I dont go hunt, I let people know on by voice that I am capping... if I can get there, reinforcements should join me...

I have the game for a short while, but I play like 3 hours a week... (starting to play more and more I must admit)

cheers... sniper rifles are really fun... I like finding them randomly

Upvote 0