• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

UncleDrax said:
When trying to debug Events/Triggers, I find it handy to drop a MessageTrigger (i think it's called that?).. into your level..
set the text to something informative like "I'm triggering the emitter!" and set it's Tag to the same thing as your triggering event.

You can also set a message on your actual trigger to let you know the trigger is firing.

Ideally you should see the message from both when you trigger your event.

Also, in the editor you can turn on Show event lines which will drawn nice red lines between Tag's and Events to show you how and if they are linked.

Yeah good Idea I dont know why I did not think of that I put it on my proximity trigger.I will try it thanks.
Also this is a real dumb question. How do I make a flat sheet Static mesh is there a package that I need to use that has just a sheet that I can then texture with anything? If so where is this located, which package. Then I assume I just set the collision up so you can build with it.

Upvote 0
If you just need a flash-sheet static mesh, it's not that big, and you're not worried about bad lighting if iti is big, then you can create a BSP sheet and convert it into a static mesh.

Just create the BSP sheet how you want, texture.. and convert.. stuff it in the MyLevel package.
for collision, you need to just play with the collision tools in the Static mesh browser.. it'd take you only a few minutes to play with it and get an idea how it works and setup collision for something simple.

(you could do it play with it and understand quicker then I could type it all out or find a UDN link...)

I'm going to also give a word of warning that for anything beyond 'simple', don't conver to a static mesh inside the editor.. it's not that good at it, will give you extra triangles and poor lighting.. but for something super-simple (like a cube or a sheet), you won't loose anything

Upvote 0
Divinehammer said:
Yeah good Idea I dont know why I did not think of that I put it on my proximity trigger.I will try it thanks.
Also this is a real dumb question. How do I make a flat sheet Static mesh is there a package that I need to use that has just a sheet that I can then texture with anything? If so where is this located, which package. Then I assume I just set the collision up so you can build with it.

Drax I looked for this but now luck anyone successfully control an emitter with a trigger? I have my event and tag set correctly but no lines are drawn between the two Also when youdrill into some emitters it really is an emitter of emitters do you have tomake the changes to all of those individual emitters? Also there is no message field for emitters. Still looking though , Finally I got my tree skin done I will post it at Maporchestra for others this week. Is there a way to change the size of he terrain triangles and can you switch back and forth in design. I am trying to make some trenches and the triangles are just to big to get them right Iam thinking that Some Smeshes and invisibleterrain will make the trenches that i want. Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
worluk said:
for the "edges", mark the textures, open the texture property dialog and set the textures to "fake backdrop". You then need another subtracted cube (outside of your world cube) with a SkyInfo actor.

Best bet is to check how other maps do it.
(or do the fake backdrop thingy and just copy the skybox cube from some other map and play around with that a little)

For the wheels on the HT: You sure the wheels are on that texture you changed? For example the tracks of the tanks are not in the same texture as the body.

On this I was using the wrong model I was using the Generic one with the green skin. So I found another and the skin works great. Thanks.

Upvote 0
My new thing is planting the map boundries now the Manual says it needs to be 6000UUs above the ground is that my terrain or my world cube. Also how do I determine this measurement? Thanks.

I also have some questions about Spawn areas...
1. Do you havet to make a volume for the spawn area? IF you dont the Spawn protection still works right? so you will still have 5 seconds of invincibility.
2. can I place player starts all over the map as long as the spawn actors event matches the playerstart's tag?
3. If I were to divide up the playerstarts of one spawn actor when I create the Spawn volumes I create two and just give them the same tags correct?
4. What does the Spawn volume do exactly, I thought they disallowed arty and all units are protected indefinitely if they stay in that volume. Is this correct? Or is there some sort of Precedence Invincibility over spawn volume?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. Do you havet to make a volume for the spawn area? IF you dont the Spawn protection still works right? so you will still have 5 seconds of invincibility.
I'm not sure...I haven't tested the protection (because I haven't bothered with volumes), but you don't need a volume for the spawn to work.

2. can I place player starts all over the map as long as the spawn actors event matches the playerstart's tag?
yes.

3. If I were to divide up the playerstarts of one spawn actor when I create the Spawn volumes I create two and just give them the same tags correct?
:confused:

4. What does the Spawn volume do exactly, I thought they disallowed arty and all units are protected indefinitely if they stay in that volume. Is this correct? Or is there some sort of Precedence Invincibility over spawn volume?
Not sure about arty. That's probably left to the noarty volumes, but I do know that spawn volumes make players invincible.

If I recall correctly, the spawn volumes protect soldiers for a set amount of time, or until they shoot.

Upvote 0
Whoa.. flood of questions.. I'll try to help where I can..

Capt.Marion said:
I'm out of town for now, but just out of curiosity, how do you add random artillery, like in S-grad/Kessel?
Pretty easily actually.. I think BaksanValley also does this, and I found it easier to trace. Open it up and poke around.
Off hand you create a trigger that spawns the attack. It's actually not as random (placement wise) as you think.
(I've never personally done it btw.... but this might get you started..)

DivineHammer said:
My new thing is planting the map boundries now the Manual says it needs to be 6000UUs above the ground is that my terrain or my world cube. Also how do I determine this measurement? Thanks.
Use the Unreal-Ed tape measure: http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showpost.php?p=141996&postcount=10

DivineHammer said:
You want to create infantry spawns in 2 distinct locations right?
Honestly not sure.. give it a whirl and see if it works.

DivineHammer said:
A spawn Volume is a volume used to do a couple things:
- boundary the player starts that should be effected by an ROSpawnArea.. ie: "after I capture the Outpost objective, all players will now spawn over by the factory".
- Boundary used for SpawnProtectionTime.. this is a timer that a newly spawned player is invincible. handy to give players a chance to move somewhere without getting spawn-camped.

Some misconceptions you bring up:
- Players are only protected for a set time.. not indefinately.. although the timer could be set really high in your level to give that effect.
- Spawn Protection Time only protects players that are inside the spawn protection volume.
- SpawnProtection doesn't disallow artillery from being targeted there.. for that you need a NoArtyVolume.

DivineHammer said:
Is there a way to change the size of he terrain triangles and can you switch back and forth in design. I am trying to make some trenches and the triangles are just to big to get them right Iam thinking that Some Smeshes and invisibleterrain will make the trenches that i want. Thanks for the help.

In a given Terrain, the triangles will always be a consistant size.
You have a few options if your terrain is to big:
- rescale it smaller
- use a 2nd terrain that's scaled smaller for your trench work
- use static meshes for your trenchs (as seen in Barashka)..

I prefer the static mesh method myself, and it looks like you are leaning toward that as well. :]

DivineHammer said:

If you are using Spawn Volumes, I believe you need to make sure your player starts in inside the volume, although don't quote me on that.
If you are using spawn protection time, you definately want them in the volume.

erm.. I think that's everything?

Someone needs to kick all this stuff into a KB like MO has :]

Upvote 0
Divinehammer said:
Is there any other way to use the unreal ed tape measure my middle mouse button is mapped to something else?

Re: Tape Measure.. Can't say I know anyone that has ever tried to remap it.. I get the impression it's more of a app function, and less a mappable key.
An alternative it so just count grids.. (turn your grid up to 1024 or something to make this easier.. don't go trying to count 6000uu in 8uu grid squares :p )

DivineHammer said:
Also can you anwser does the boundary marker need to be 6000 above the Terrain or 6000 above the world box floor. You knw how your terrain kind of floats there.
Above the Terrain. (or whatever the main surface is players will be on)
IIRC, the 6000uu thing is so artillery works correctly.

DivineHammer said:
Where is this example of a kb that you speak of.
Map Orchestra has a trouble ticket system that is used as a Knowledge Base. Unfortunately I don't have the time to convert all these questions into it else I would.. :/

Upvote 0
DrGuppy said:
You can also plug in the numbers for the width/length/height for a cube and use that to measure. I have to do this sometimes when my MMB refuses to work. :rolleyes:

excellent idea I will use this. So I will just build a cube with a height of 6000 and try and put it above my terrain. I wonder though what happens if it is taller than my world box do I put my actor in unsubtracted Space?

Upvote 0
How do I create a volume where the terrain doesn't show? I'm trying to create a subterranean entrance, and the terrain is giving me a major headache. Various measures of changing visibility, etc, doesn't work well. Any ideas?

Also, the vertex editting doesn't work anymore? Do I need to reinstall ROED?

Upvote 0
BobCobb said:
How do I create a volume where the terrain doesn't show? I'm trying to create a subterranean entrance, and the terrain is giving me a major headache. Various measures of changing visibility, etc, doesn't work well. Any ideas?

You should be able to create a new ZONE and set it's bTerrainZone=false.

I don't believe you can do the smae with a volume.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
BobCobb said:

Also, the vertex editting doesn't work anymore? Do I need to reinstall ROED?

There is a video on this at 3dbuzz.com try that . otherwise I think you just use invisibility on your terrain and tear a hole where you want to go in. Then I think you use bsp to build your rooom underneath. If you want it to be like a cave I think you would need to make a second terrrain layer and put it just under your current one. probably with smaller triangles. so your hole would lead to your new terrain level below it probably still need to make a bsp ceiling in your cavern. Not sure if any of that is right but just helping you brainstorm.

Upvote 0