• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

BarCa said:
No ambient lighting in zone info, and I think my skybox is fine because when I change to texture mode and "view backdrop" I can see the sky. I just cant seem to light the whole sky up with sun actors :(

I think that you need to use a little ambient light and at least. And are you putting the sunshine actor in your Skybox Like between the domes. I think that you need a combo though that is what I am doing.

Upvote 0
Chernuk said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have no ambient light or light actors in your skybox, your skybox will be black because it is unlit.

Thanks, that did the trick just perfectly. I turned on some ambient light in my skyzone info and it looks great. I also noticed on some other maps they did have lights in the skybox too so I might play around with that too.

Upvote 0
One final question, how are buildings with big holes in them normally done, like the buildings in the square of koitos. Are they done by subtracting a bunch of brushes , which would be easy but perhaps demanding or with the freehand tool or something else?

Edit- and while I'm at it, how do you do fire and smoke?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BarCa said:
One final question, how are buildings with big holes in them normally done, like the buildings in the square of koitos. Are they done by subtracting a bunch of brushes , which would be easy but perhaps demanding or with the freehand tool or something else?

Edit- and while I'm at it, how do you do fire and smoke?

Fire and smoke are done with emitters, they are under something like ROLevelEmitters in the actor browser in the emitters catagory.

Upvote 0
I have two questions that have been a problem in my map since the beginning and I have yet to find out how to fix them.

1. I have done and redone the lighting in my map and the BSP and static meshes are thoroughly lit, but in third person players appear to be extremely dark. How can I fix this?

2. Is it possible to have BSPs completely occlude player shadows? Since my map is a large multifloor building, it is common and rather annoying to see shadows from players a floor above or below your position.

Upvote 0
Yup - basovka has two different terrain brushes - one large scale for the main map and one much smaller scale for the trenches.

I would reckon that vertex editting (with 'both-click' height adjustment) would be the way to go to get steep trench sides. Quite how you get the two terrains to meet and merge without gaps is something I would like to know.

I would also be interested to hear an answer so SK's player shadow question - it can be a real pain in the butt on some maps.

Upvote 0
BarCa - aren't those holes just made with subtraction brushes? You can open up kiotos in ROed and see for yourself. If they aren't I would definitely like an answer to this question to. If they are subtractin brushes, are there any problems you need to worry about when making them, like HOM effect?

SK- Are you using the special lit feature? Special lit lights won't light up player characters.

I would also love to know how to keep shadows from being projected unto a cieling when someone is walking around on the floor above.

Upvote 0
Chernuk said:
BarCa - aren't those holes just made with subtraction brushes? You can open up kiotos in ROed and see for yourself. If they aren't I would definitely like an answer to this question to. If they are subtractin brushes, are there any problems you need to worry about when making them, like HOM effect?

SK- Are you using the special lit feature? Special lit lights won't light up player characters.

I would also love to know how to keep shadows from being projected unto a cieling when someone is walking around on the floor above.
No, I don't use the special lit option for lighting. I'll double check though that I didn't accidently check it.

UncleDrax said:
Curious.. How thick are your floors/ceilings.. and are they BSP or Static Mesh?
I use the default (16 UU I believe) hollow cube thickness, so the floors would be 16UU (two stacked cubes). They are BSP.

Hmm, perhaps a thin static mesh layer between the floors would help fix the problem...

Upvote 0
*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:
UVW mapping: check and explore.

Still not getting it give me a better hint or a link or something This skin is from TW also Isnt UVW used in a 3d modeler program or something?

Also i can still see my world brush at edge of my map is there some sort of treatment I can do to the walls say use invisible or do you have to use fog or what to make them disappear. Do I put another zoneinfo under my map and treat it as a seperate? Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
for the "edges", mark the textures, open the texture property dialog and set the textures to "fake backdrop". You then need another subtracted cube (outside of your world cube) with a SkyInfo actor.

Best bet is to check how other maps do it.
(or do the fake backdrop thingy and just copy the skybox cube from some other map and play around with that a little)

For the wheels on the HT: You sure the wheels are on that texture you changed? For example the tracks of the tanks are not in the same texture as the body.

Upvote 0
worluk said:
for the "edges", mark the textures, open the texture property dialog and set the textures to "fake backdrop". You then need another subtracted cube (outside of your world cube) with a SkyInfo actor.

Best bet is to check how other maps do it.
(or do the fake backdrop thingy and just copy the skybox cube from some other map and play around with that a little)

For the wheels on the HT: You sure the wheels are on that texture you changed? For example the tracks of the tanks are not in the same texture as the body.

SO are you saying that I need to make another cube other than my Skybox? Do you have any maps that have a good example of this.

On the halftrack yeah I looked at that I did see some tracks not sure what package though. if so how do you put the two sepearte skins on at the same time? Thanks for the help I appreciate it. Or is there a way to layer the skins on the Halftrack like with one with wheels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
alright fake backdrop worked great.
Now I am working on getting a trigger to fire an emitter I have the event and tags setup how the wiki says to but I must be missing somethign because the wiki does not go off. I have a proximity trigger firing the 3dpanzerfaust emitter but I cannot get it to fire I suspect that it is firing at the begining of the level but I am not sure. what other setting am I missing?

Upvote 0
When trying to debug Events/Triggers, I find it handy to drop a MessageTrigger (i think it's called that?).. into your level..
set the text to something informative like "I'm triggering the emitter!" and set it's Tag to the same thing as your triggering event.

You can also set a message on your actual trigger to let you know the trigger is firing.

Ideally you should see the message from both when you trigger your event.

Also, in the editor you can turn on Show event lines which will drawn nice red lines between Tag's and Events to show you how and if they are linked.

Upvote 0