• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design How do I .....? The Thread for all questions more than general.

Divinehammer said:
thanks for looking neither could I, I ended up using some tracked trucks for my snow level they look cool but they have no snow on them. Is there a way to make your own skins or textures and upload them. I could get what I want with photoshop anyone have a link to a tut? I ended up using those trees as well with a whitish fog ring. Is there a way to make a SMesh facade out of the snowy pine trees?

This is actually pretty easy to do, or at least to get the texture of..

Create a test world space.. make the walls and floor/ceiling the flat black texture.

Drop in the tree static meshes.. be sure to rotate a few, and scale some.. adding some closer and further away from the camera.
Be sure to add in some snowy underbrush too, and maybe even a rock or two.. anything you'd want to see in your facde.

Setup a base lighting, maximixe the 3d preview window, turn on real-time preview, and hide anything you can see that ISNT your facde.
Take a screen cap.

The rest you do in the gfx editor of your choice..
Clean up the screen cap, crop out the editor toolbars and stuff, resize to what you want, then do some layering to make it look nice..and best if you can make it seamless horizontally.

reduce to 256 colors, making sure flat black is one.. make the flat-black your transparency layer.. do pixel-by-pixel cleanup to get teh transparency right.

Export as a PCX
Import into UnrealEd, and enable MASKED.

wallah.. new tree facade. :]

If you make your facade look similar in base pattern, and dimensions, you should be able to just re-skin the existing tree facades.

Upvote 0
Alrighty then- how do I import my custom (semi-custom, that is) ambient sound into UEd? Right now it is a .wav file with the following specs:
.wav
Bit Rate: 352 kbps
Sample Size- 16 bit
Mono
Sample Rate- 22 KHz
Audio Format- PCM Wav
name- ambientforcaptmarionsmap.wav
size-2.94mb

NEXT:
Where might I find an SM I can import or whatever for an Opel Blitz? (The Truck like in the mod)

EDIT: LASTLY:
Put a driveable tank(s) in my map?

Upvote 0
UncleDrax said:
This is actually pretty easy to do, or at least to get the texture of..

Create a test world space.. make the walls and floor/ceiling the flat black texture.

Drop in the tree static meshes.. be sure to rotate a few, and scale some.. adding some closer and further away from the camera.
Be sure to add in some snowy underbrush too, and maybe even a rock or two.. anything you'd want to see in your facde.

Setup a base lighting, maximixe the 3d preview window, turn on real-time preview, and hide anything you can see that ISNT your facde.
Take a screen cap.

The rest you do in the gfx editor of your choice..
Clean up the screen cap, crop out the editor toolbars and stuff, resize to what you want, then do some layering to make it look nice..and best if you can make it seamless horizontally.

reduce to 256 colors, making sure flat black is one.. make the flat-black your transparency layer.. do pixel-by-pixel cleanup to get teh transparency right.

Export as a PCX
Import into UnrealEd, and enable MASKED.

wallah.. new tree facade. :]

If you make your facade look similar in base pattern, and dimensions, you should be able to just re-skin the existing tree facades.

Okay I am looking at this so you are saying that once I import it which I am still a bit sketchy on. then I can just reskin the existing facade not a problem there will this new skin require me to do something extra to upload for play online? or will it all be contained in the the .rom file. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Okay I got my picture which by the way is there a way to turn off the red lines of my world box? so i can have a better picture. Also I guess I need some more PHotoshop instructions. I make my layer and make it transp and then paste my pic that has been croped in (should i create a new layer first?) Anyway I delete the black and checker shows through save it as PCX and upload into the default of Engine. but when it gets in there the background is all white. not Transp other than that it looks good.

Bob
Aare you saying when i need to put it in the map I need to import to mylevel package?

Upvote 0
Confused

Confused

Just started mapping a couple days ago. Everythings been comming pretty easy to me but im still confused about a couple of things.

1.How do you add in spawn areas? I saw them listed in the actor list but i have no idea what properties to change for them or how to set them to axis/allied spawns.

2. How do you add in capable objectives?

3.How do you edit the units/loadouts availible on your map?

Thankyou ahead of time for you help :)

Upvote 0
Mhotl said:
Just started mapping a couple days ago. Everythings been comming pretty easy to me but im still confused about a couple of things.

1.How do you add in spawn areas? I saw them listed in the actor list but i have no idea what properties to change for them or how to set them to axis/allied spawns.

2. How do you add in capable objectives?

3.How do you edit the units/loadouts availible on your map?

Thankyou ahead of time for you help :)

Most of these answers you will find in the SDK manual check that out in the downloads section. Other than that find a map you like and copy and paste the items you speak of really easy.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to get the general principles of making a spawn area. But im having a fairly serious problem. After i get the rozoneinfo and spawnarea actors in place and set up, I try to put in startplayerhere actors. But i cant see these actors. I have no idea what im doing wrong. Anyone ever had this problem? No matter what i do the startplayerhere actors wont show up on any of the views, not even the textured view. :x Please help the perplexed noob!

Upvote 0
no no no and no! right click and select "add playerstart here" you will then see a little atari-like joystick emblem pop up. That is where a player will spawn. The little red arrow indicates where he will be looking.

Edit: Srry mate if I was alittle harsh, or more that if it came out as I was being harsh. check out the 3dBuzz website and look at their unreal technology section> mapping. they have some good tutorials that will do you a world of good!

Upvote 0
Mhotl said:
I'm starting to get the general principles of making a spawn area. But im having a fairly serious problem. After i get the rozoneinfo and spawnarea actors in place and set up, I try to put in startplayerhere actors. But i cant see these actors. I have no idea what im doing wrong. Anyone ever had this problem? No matter what i do the startplayerhere actors wont show up on any of the views, not even the textured view. :x Please help the perplexed noob!

Better yet go to map orchestra I just uploaded a basic map template for Noobs this should get you started with some spawns and what not. A for effort.

Upvote 0
Lighting seems to be giving me trouble for a while now, I never seem to be able to get any good sunlight. I can get decent sunlight shining on my terrain and such, but my sky always appears pitch black, or with have of it lit up and the other half not. This occurs even when copy+pasting from other maps. Should I just keep rotating the sun actors randomly until I get good light or is there something I am forgetting to do?

Upvote 0
BarCa said:
Lighting seems to be giving me trouble for a while now, I never seem to be able to get any good sunlight. I can get decent sunlight shining on my terrain and such, but my sky always appears pitch black, or with have of it lit up and the other half not. This occurs even when copy+pasting from other maps. Should I just keep rotating the sun actors randomly until I get good light or is there something I am forgetting to do?

Check your ambient light in Zone info.if you have a skybox did you set the top of your world box to fake backdrop.

Upvote 0
Capt.Marion said:
EDIT: LASTLY:
Put a driveable tank(s) in my map?

The Sound question I believe is covered in the Sound forum.
for the Opel, you'll have to find one or see if someone has one laying around already.

Now.. for adding a Usable tank in your level:
This is done by playing a Tank Factory class in your level where you want the tank to spawn. Some of the properties of factory class set the number of respawns, and respawn delay. It's pretty self explainatory.

You can forward spawn tanks just like you can with infantry spawns.. just set the Tag of the tank factory as you would for infantry spawns.
(If you don't know how to do that, I believe there is a tut somewhere covering how do to forward spawns?)

Upvote 0