• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

World Cup 2006

World Cup 2006

• Total voters
My italians friends, though I respect your great team I hope France wins for these reasons:

1. Henri and Zidane have showed more than once that they represent the best: great football, fair play and respect for other players;

2. Zidane is quiting footaball. He deserves the prize for what he's doing all these years;

3. Last but not least, just to tease Le Pen who [SIZE=-1]complained that minorities are over-represented in France's team. I hate this guy as much as I hate racism.

[/SIZE]

Upvote 0
K.Johansen said:
Well.... nevermind just another UK whiner

yes, maybe, but a different type

if you read what I've posted throughout this thread you'll see I am extremely unbiased. I have always thought that, though the england team is full of great players, the manager played them in formations and positions that were rubbish, and I was skeptical that england would even get to the quarters.

I have watched nearly every game this world cup, and I watch each team unbiased.

Teams like Italy, Argentina and Portugal have stood out as THE WORST sporting teams I have seen in a LONG time. They ruin games by diving instead of playing with a fighting spirit. They barrage referees with complaints, asking for bookings etc.

This is wrong, and this is what will eventually drive football into becoming a non-contact game for pussies.

If you watch the Rooney sending off again, he battled with no less than 3 portuguese players, being hacked from behind, the sides, from the front and he didn't go down because he plays football how it's supposed to be played. Under that pressure he stood on someone. How anyone could call that a "stamp" I have no ****ing idea. Accidental in my books. What is the immediate action of the other team?! swamping the referee, demanding a card, which under FIFA ruling demands a card to be shown to the requesting players!

While Rooney's bad temper is mostly to blame, and I do agree, he needs to sort it out before it ruins his career (it's always pissed me off about his temper). But to have his teammate of 2-3 years come up and try to get him sent off is just dispicable. How you can glorify that diving, moaning, and according to FIFA ruling, cheating **** is unbelievable.

Like I said earlier, its this sort of behaviour and completely absent sportsmanship which will kill football as we know and love it.

Patriotism completely aside, teams who play like portugal played in the quarters sicken me.

-=KnIfE=-

Upvote 0
Hiho,

-=KnIfE=- said:
I have watched nearly every game this world cup, and I watch each team unbiased.
I beg your pardon, sir, but this is quite impossible :D. U cannot watch a football match unbiased, believe me ;).

Well, well, the german team outta the finals...it still hurts somehow...
It's a bit sad to see how almost anybody here in germany seems to have lost interest in this cup since tuesday... hope that'll change again this weekend :).

It's even more interesting to see which teams made it into the finals...both have a VERY strong defense, are consisting of pretty old/ experienced players and can play good combination football as well. My bets are for France though, as they can play the latter a bit better than Italy, imho. I really wish Zidane & co the title for the end of his carreer, too :). and not at least... not the fourth title for Italy, we both (Italy and Germany) have already three, we're next! :D.

Well, regarding all that Portugal flamage: Well, Portugal, that just wasnt enough on wednesday. France was definately the better team, they dictated the way throughout the 94 mins. That penalty shot was totally ok as well.
I have to say, i'm not that huge fan of portuguese football as well, at least how it has been shown in this cup. I think the main problem is the trainer (Scolari) giving too much hope on his superstars (Figo, Ronaldo, Miguel) rather than on his whole team and players like Deco, Postiga, Tiago. Well, just my opinion.
And for the whole diving/ acting discussion: Just look at Italy how they are playing theater: they do it the effective way, Portugal does not :D.
That red-card-rooney-testicles discussion...gawd, i really dont think he wanted to hurt Tiago (was it Tiago?), he was stepping somewhere with his elephant legs and unfortunately there was that guy lying with his legs spread. **** happens. Red card justified, though...i mean, thats a SERIOUS hurt, if on purpose or not. Referee really cant tell if it is on purpose or not in this moment, but he has to draw it.
Same with the discussion around Torsten Frings... i really doubt he wanted to beat him or actually "beat" him... but it looked like, so yes, penalty needed.

Well, whatever.

[RO said:
schneidzekk] Geez Germany has lost 2 defenders due to surgeries. Well, it is only the game for place #3 but still :(
Well, but Frings is back again, then :). My absolute favorite player on the field in all german matches, together with his other rmates from Werder Bremen (Borovski, Klose). Think that was indeed the best decision by Klinsmann, stepping away from this bloody bavaria_munich_for_the_national_selection mentality and bringing in some guys of the german master of 2004.
Really looking forward to see these guys fighting on saturday (will watch that match in the portuguese district in hamburg again :D) and for sunday....:

ALLEEEEEZ LES BLEUS!

:)

greetz,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
/linuX/gitano said:
... Think that was indeed the best decision by Klinsmann, stepping away from this bloody bavaria_munich_for_the_national_selection mentality and bringing in some guys of the german master of 2004.

Err, there are anyways not much German players in the FC Bayern team.

/linuX/gitano said:
Really looking forward to see these guys fighting on saturday (will watch that match in the portuguese district in hamburg again :D) and for sunday....:

Hmm, in European championship there is no game about place 3 and 4. And in my opinion this game is complete unecessary. In soccer unfortunately only the winner counts.

Besides that I agree that Klinsmann did his job very well.

I don't know who will win the final. If Zidane plays well then France will will. If not then Italy will win. ;)

Upvote 0
I am in solid agreement with Knife here.

You nailed it perfectly mate, Italy, Portugal and Argentina have been the absolute worst teams for diving and sportsmanship that I have seen in the whole competition. That fact alone is enough for me to not want to see any of them win it, ever. The worst part is that the ref's buy right into it, honestly if I was out there in some of those matches as an official I'd give more cards out for diving than anything else.

Play the game like men I say!

Vive la France!

Upvote 0
Reddog said:
I am in solid agreement with Knife here.

You nailed it perfectly mate, Italy, Portugal and Argentina have been the absolute worst teams for diving and sportsmanship that I have seen in the whole competition. That fact alone is enough for me to not want to see any of them win it, ever. The worst part is that the ref's buy right into it, honestly if I was out there in some of those matches as an official I'd give more cards out for diving than anything else.

Play the game like men I say!

Vive la France!

I was saying the exact same thing to schneidzekk last night :p

-=KnIfE=-

Upvote 0
LOL, nice joke, but say what you want, at least Italy and Portugal have played some entertaining footie along the way. Not like the boring England team, 10 men behind the ball and pinging long balls up to that lampost Crouch. Rooney deserved everything he got in the Portugal match, he stamped on that dudes balls, purely out of agression, it was plain for any unbiased person to see. If someone did that to someone on my team, I would be trying to get them sent off too. The ref was gonna do it anyway, cause it was so friggin obvious that it wasn't an accident, cause Ronney is such a thick liverpudlian plank, he didnt even attempt to disguise it as such.

Upvote 0
-=KnIfE=- said:
If you watch the Rooney sending off again, he battled with no less than 3 portuguese players, being hacked from behind, the sides, from the front and he didn't go down because he plays football how it's supposed to be played. Under that pressure he stood on someone. How anyone could call that a "stamp" I have no ****ing idea. Accidental in my books.

but to know it was the same guy, who fracture his foot gives this scene a bit more pepper :rolleyes:
and the reaction of the teammate in the back wasnt a complain against hte referee, but rooney.

Upvote 0