• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map RO-Orel Beta1

I finally got a good long chance to play on a server with the map and it was great.

When you get back from your trip...

Two suggestions: Get rid of the satchels for tankers. For a couple of reasons.

Probably not realistic.
- and the other unfortunate one - What I and several others encountered is the occasional moron who feels he must shoot others at the spawn and either kill or team wounds someone just to get a tank (yeah, I know, nothing new...). Also there was at least on individual who when he didn't get a tank or jumped in and couldn't force you out verbally, he jumped out and satcheled the tank...and other friendlies around it. I don't know how he didn't get kicked. (Which is all too bad. There seemed to be quite a few others who stopped to pick up stranded tankers, and who worked together in a tank.)

Whick leads to the other suggestion: Maybe quicker or instantaneous respawning of tanks? You usually have to drive a distance anyway, and it would prevent all the individuals respawning there and running around waiting for them.

---------------------------------

Keep up the great work. :D

Upvote 0
excellent map
Here are some things that I noticed that you may want to look at
- the water textures are a little off it just does not look like water maybe you need a different texture layer for lake bottoms like a green slime or something.
-I would say that you need far fewer houses that you can enter this should boost performance by not having so many.
- some of the hills are a little jaggy you may want to smooth or turn some vertices.
-when you get to the top of some hills there seems to be some hesitation on my rig not sure if anyone else gets it maybe your blocking BSP is to high in the hill if you lower it will start to render before I get to the top of the hill. which may be better tactically speaking.
- also saw some floating trees.

Just some nitpicks I appologize. Do you mind if some of your map parts are used in other maps. One of those bridges I liked and the tank garage.

Upvote 0
Slashbot_427 said:
Many thanks to the guys at FKs Mods server for running it on TWO servers.
I hopped on a while ago now I can't get on cause the servers are ful l:D.
Glad everyone likes it so far.

congrats on a popular map m'man!! just had an idea; do you trust anyone in the RO:O community ebough to give them the map stuff and let them correct the few things that need it?

personally, I think all the stuff that has been mentioned is minor (except the T-34/85 issue. just an idea.

anyways, I got to hand it to you for the best "big idea" custom map I have seen so far. really nice. we owe you a few beers~~!!! :D

Upvote 0
great map love how big it is and if you get a full server with people who like teamwork and like working in tanks with 2 or 3 people in it. its an excellent map dont change much besides some of the bugs. spwan distances are perfect becuase it makes you think twice about doing stupid stuff becuase you dont want to get killed and start all the way back

Upvote 0
Played this map last night until 1:30 am rolled around and there was still 48 minutes (!) to go on the second round & my eyes were too sore and tired to keep going.
Very fine map. I would second the suggestions above to have some more forward spawns once some objectives have been capped, simply to save having to drive ten minutes back to the action. For me, this map captures the flavour of those huge Ostfront tank battles.....great job.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I am still seeing a ton of problems with the German loadouts.

Incredibly fun map but being stuck with infantry-support PZIVF/1(They are not meant for anti-tank, they have absolutely no use in this map) and STUGs, is just bad.

Especially when the Soviets get a buttload of T34/85s. Gerries get '41 tanks! Wheeee!

Except the Panthers, but you never have a chance to ride those. :(

Really needs balancing in the load-outs.

Upvote 0
Great map slashbot, definetly my favourite. I love the size, and I dont even mind driving from spawn to the action, becassue it lets you vary your route, there are so many options!!

Just a few things, they might be intentional, but just in case you havent spotted them.

1,Tank crew are able to call down arty,not just tank commanders.

2. There are no radio locations on the map.

3. Maybe make it so only a select few get the satchels, or better still, you have to collect them from a depot before blowing the bridge, because otherwise it will just turn into a satchel fest at close quarter tank battles, with extra crew jumping out and dropping them on you. It already happened me once or twice.

great map.

Upvote 0
DarkPa said:
P
Very fine map. I would second the suggestions above to have some more forward spawns once some objectives have been capped, simply to save having to drive ten minutes back to the action. For me, this map captures the flavour of those huge Ostfront tank battles.....great job.

I wouldnt as this is the only map which really discourages rambo or rush like a headless chicken tactics people are encouraged to team up and behave in a realistic fashion otherwise they'll be punished with the long drive.

Upvote 0
We were playing this tonight on a full server. It's a beautiful work in progress.

However, you absolutely need forward spawns. The first couple of times we were riding out, we were joking about falling asleep... or watching DVD movies in our PIV's... or leaving our Stug on autopilot while we slipped in the back for some fun with the onboard standard-issue Wehrmacht prostitute (I got a feisty Austrian lady tonight - woohoo!).

But after about the fifth time it just got plain old having to spend +/- 5 minutes driving to battle, only to get an engine shot out and start all over again. This is a major gameplay issue - several players (including myself) simply dropped out because we tired or bored of this pattern.

Each side needs three spawns that advance with them. For instance:

• The Axis starts where it is now. Once it captures the East Field its spawn advances to the North Bridge area.
  • Once the Central / East Heights are capped, its spawn moves to the northeastern foot of the Heights "rise".
  • Once Axis caps all objectives but the West Field, its spawn moves to the Heights.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
Incredibly fun map but being stuck with infantry-support PZIVF/1(They are not meant for anti-tank, they have absolutely no use in this map) and STUGs, is just bad.
The F1 is just fantastic on this map:D One SU-76 was harassing a STUG, but I came to the rescue with my trusty volley-cannon(tm). The SU was nowhere to be seen. Only the shells were visible but with a mortar-like shot I got a one hit kill.

Best tanking moment this far :p

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
We were playing this tonight on a full server. It's a beautiful work in progress. (snip)

yes it certainly is. I think it's the gold standard for RO tank maps at this point. heck, for all maps. :)

you have some points about the forward spawns. guess he can look into it (the mapper) when he gets back form China in August. what a time for a trip!! :D

Upvote 0