• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Tula

spraduke

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
wiltshire
www.spraduke.co.uk
A bit of background for the map straight from wikepedia :D

During the Great Patriotic War of 1941 to 1945, the city was important in production of armaments. Tula became the target of a German offensive to break Soviet resistance in the Moscow area between October 24 and December 5, 1941. The heavily fortified city held out. In particular, Guderian's Second Panzer Army was defeated under Tula. The city secured the Southern flank during the Soviet defence of Moscow and the subsequent counter-offensive. After the War, Tula was awarded the title Hero City.

Ive avoided the city setting for now and have opted for the woods/forests surrounding tula. Yes i know its a snowey forest!! However i came up with the idea before the other snowey forest map so pls dont accuse me of copy catting ;).

Scenario-- Russian troops have dug in on a natural bottle neck protecting an important road/railway line (havent decided) they have dug in with bunkers and fox holes in the dense woods. The axis are assualting without veichle support due to the forest thickness but pre planned artillery has been organised to keep the russian heads down. The assualt begins in the early morning. The germans must capture each line of defense (outposts-first line- second line- Headquarters)).

Features (hopefully!!)
Random artillery exploding trees etc on the next line of defense as the geramns caputre forcing the ruskies into their foxholes.
Fog which "sits" in a depression around a stream to provide some cover (volumetic fog??)
Might try to "fell" a tree to create a safer german spawn (movers??)
General terrain learning as this is only my second map :D.
Learning how to optomize maps!.

Tula1.jpg

Tula3.jpg

Tula4.jpg

Tula5.jpg

Tula2.jpg

Please note this is no where near finished. A lot more trees/foliage/cover is to be added and i havent even started on the objectives but i felt this gives a good sense of the atmosphere.

Last edited:
I've got a bunch of plans for standard soviet emplacement design in the back of "Soviet infantry tactics of WW2" by Charles C. Sharp (it's available on battlefront.com for $20)

It has a whole section giving cross section, volume, plans and digging times of various styles of earthworks. If I can get my scanner working tonight I'll post links to the images below.

Upvote 0
Because its the only route :p. The map represent a small sector of a larger front. I hope to add tanks/aircraft driving or flying around in the map distance to give a sense of a larger battle. It just so happens that your sector has only infantry in due to terrain etc.

I might rename it to outskirts because im interested in doing the city bit myself (a bit of combined arms fun :D).

Upvote 0
One thing I dislike about some maps is that some parts are pitch black, and this reflects on the players and static meshes, making the lighting look really harsh and bad. It's like this on the SnowyForest map everyone's so crazy about, too. You can either- A) make another sunlight actor (or two) and point them all at a single point, while the other two are weaker than the main one, giving a sense of ambient and bounce lighting. Or, B), up the general ambience lighting of the level and lower the sunlight level accordingly to make it look good.

Upvote 0