• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Orlovka - September 1942

Sorry for dropping off the face of the earth for a week, but I've been out of town with no internet.

As for the map, here is Wilsonam's map of the area surrounding Orlovka:
orlovka2.jpg

It seems that the terrain is quite rugged, but these balkas seem to to the east and south a bit (except the river bed right below the vilage, I think for simplcity I'll just make a river there as a barrier for the map), somewhat beyond the scope of the map.

I've begun the map now and I'm in the process of producing the various buildings for the village. As for the barriers of the map, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I take it that tree facades for the horizon are out of the question, considering the lack of trees in the area of Stalingrad, or am I wrong about that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yup - whilst there were/are plenty of trees thereabouts (considering you're on the edge of the steppes) you would not have enough trees to make an impassable barrier.

Looking at the map, I have a pretty good idea where that is now - near my mother-in-law's dacha :D There are several places round there where the balki are too steep to climb so Wilsonam's suggestion seems a very neat solution.

Upvote 0
*7GA* Nestor Makhno said:
Looking at the map, I have a pretty good idea where that is now - near my mother-in-law's dacha :D There are several places round there where the balki are too steep to climb so Wilsonam's suggestion seems a very neat solution.

Can't you see this mapper needs source pics? We demand pictures of your mother-in-law for true RO babushka immersion!

Upvote 0
Ok, a few screenshots of what has been done so far. This is my first map and I am learning as I go. I have not worked much yet on the lighting nor have I started on adding foliage, but I have formed the layout of the map. If anyone thinks my textures or architecture are way off for the area please let me know.

Overlooking the map from the south:
shot2.jpg

Overlooking the map from the north:
shot4.jpg

The German spawn (I plan on making a graveyard next to it, thus giving me an excuse to be a bit heavy on the foliage to help prevent spawnkilling).
shot3.jpg

A closeup on one of the balkas. Too steep or tall?
shot1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Britney Federline said:
Can't you see this mapper needs source pics? We demand pictures of your mother-in-law for true RO babushka immersion!

ROFLMAO - OK - I will Fedex a digital camera to her.....

and a PC.......

and the money for an internet connection.....

and the money for tuition on how to even start a PC, let alone upload pictures of the area. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if this map looks like it's going to be a while coming, Mrs Makhno is going there in early August. I'll either go with her and take pics of the area and of the scale model of Stalingrad that they have in the excellent Panorama museum, or I will ask her to do the same. Then I'll upload them and post the links.

So far, just going from memory (admittedly of 5 years ago) the majority of the map should be uplands with the balki cutting down, rather than lowlands with raised bits around.

Upvote 0
No need to sneak anything - I'll just...erm, 'reason with' one of the curators.

A small yashik of a bottle of Armenian cognac (cost about 2-3 bucks) should smooth over any regulatory difficulties.;)
In that case, I can make a long list of things I need that I haven't been able to find in any of the archives :)

Upvote 0
ROFLMAO - OK - I will Fedex a digital camera to her.....

and a PC.......

and the money for an internet connection.....

and the money for tuition on how to even start a PC, let alone upload pictures of the area. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if this map looks like it's going to be a while coming, Mrs Makhno is going there in early August. I'll either go with her and take pics of the area and of the scale model of Stalingrad that they have in the excellent Panorama museum, or I will ask her to do the same. Then I'll upload them and post the links.

So far, just going from memory (admittedly of 5 years ago) the majority of the map should be uplands with the balki cutting down, rather than lowlands with raised bits around.

Doh, I suppose you speaking of riverbeds should have given a me clue there. :rolleyes:

As for the scale model, that would be very cool to get some pictures. I would gladly put much of the map on hiatus to get a detailed representation of the area.

Upvote 0
OK - someone's going to have a word with the director this week about a private viewing of the museum in August - I'll keep you posted.

As regards the Orlovka area - i'll be going there so I'll make sure I get loads for you.

Be nice to your mother in law mate :cool: :eek:

If you're not back in two weeks Polish Croatian Provisional Goverment will take over the clan (some people would call it putsch, some would call it coup, we'll just call it democracy in action :D )

Upvote 0
[RO]Wilsonam said:
I know I am.

Alan!!!
Awwww Geeeez!!!! I hadda get up from the floor, I just fell outta my chair!!! hahahahhahahahah!

@ Federline...

"Can't you see this mapper needs source pics? We demand pictures of your mother-in-law for true RO babushka immersion!"

Truth, I went to school with a Charlie Federline, he bacame a NYC Cop. A bubushka, I haven't heard that in 50 years! It was or used to be a scarf worn on the head. The area of NYC I grew up in was heavily mixed with east/west European folks. They were wonderful. All sweet memories from many years ago. You've brought back many wonderful memories!

Last edited:
Upvote 0