• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Hill_Flak_B8

it looks pretty nice but indeed i think there should be some more cover. And it looks a bit hard for the allies. The allies got to run a really long way everytime they spawn and they must walk uphill. The germans spawn really close to the hill and can shoot enemies from above going uphill. Allies must destroy alot of objectives with big disadvantage of the terrain. I think that the allied spawn should maybe change to some other location after they cap the mortars :\.

But it looks and runs pretty good :D.

Upvote 0
Its amazing how a rectangular box with one simple main objective on a hill can give so much great gameplay. In other ww2 games/mods there are similar concepts: DoD had the 'Radar' levels, The Third Reich mod had a similar map (I think it was also called 'radar') both with one bunker on a hill being the main objective.

During my mod development times, I've studied the typology of popular levels and why they are so overplayed.
- Simple and linear seem to be code words for most of them (there are exceptions). DoD_Caen for example is basicly a big S shape.
- Variety and balancing of different types of players is a plus too. Campers vs rushers, long range (rifle, sniper, mg) vs short range (lmg, smg).
- Objectives are chokepoints, but once taken, they give an advantage to the attacker.
- Smaller, but longer and more dangerous roads bypassing these chokepoints adds a tactical dimension. They can lift the advantage given to the attacker.

In the quake2 mod Dday: Normandy, the most popular level was dday2 'St M

Upvote 0
The latest version of the map is quite good, still - there are some architechturical odities.

The 88's are unable to shoot downhill, where exist's destroyed T34's.
The fortification should be more gruesome and deeper in ground (I presume it's copied from rakowice) and look more russian if the map is set in deep russia?

And... the road to uphill is still quite "unrealistic", I would doubt that any vehicle would get there with full load of cargo. I suggest you modifiy it a bit. You could add halftrack to your dev version of the map and try driving there.

Also you could add some stuff in visible terrain outside battlefield.

Upvote 0
I played it yesterday twice and i must say that i really like the map.
But it needs some graphical improvement.
-try to add a leavetexture under the trees. there would propably be lots of leaves undeneath them.
-try to find another texture for the road.
-the road is also a bit too wide if you ask me.
-tone down the bloom effect. (can be done under Levelproperties-bloom-bloomamout; press F6 for Levelproperties) change the bloomamount to 0.3 instead of 0.5.

Upvote 0