• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design RO-Lakelands Teaser

ExoCet-NAW

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2006
Here are some preview snaps of my work in progress. My first ever try at mapping at all.

I am having major problems with spawns though, keep spawing on the wrong side. I have followed the manual and redone them around 10 times, Even pinched spawns from Arad and still the same thing happens ???.

Got to add buildings to the main town area (the SS with the red wall in it)
More cover and Vegitation. Objectives are in but not setup in the objectives manager yet.

The bridge in the first SS is also destroyable.

Hope you like them, any constructive critisism welcomed.

Shot00032.jpg

Shot00039.jpg

Shot00038.jpg

Shot00036.jpg

Shot00035.jpg

Shot00034.jpg

Shot00040.jpg

Good to see some original maps popping up as well. A few opinions from my side:

- Cover, like said, is quite essential on an outdoor map, you don't want people to snipe the entire team from somewhere you can't get to him.
- Whats with this treebranch texture on the water?
- As I can see on the 3rd screenshot, it looks like your map ends there. Try to create realistic, yet effective mapborders.

Upvote 0
DeV said:
Good to see some original maps popping up as well. A few opinions from my side:

- Cover, like said, is quite essential on an outdoor map, you don't want people to snipe the entire team from somewhere you can't get to him.
- Whats with this treebranch texture on the water?
- As I can see on the 3rd screenshot, it looks like your map ends there. Try to create realistic, yet effective mapborders.
I was trying to create some sort of weed in the water lol. after looking at the screenshots it doesn't look to well does it lol.

Any suggestions on how to cover the ends where the river goes through ?.
Maybe a dam or something ?.

Yeah cover is of the upmost importance, I wanted to get some SS out there to give me some ideas from you guys, that have more experience than me at this sort of thing. Also waiting to get the buildings made and situated into the town then sort out where cover is needed there. I am also using a thickish fog so that cuts the need for to much open space cover.

Also can anyone help me on this spawn problem ?.

Upvote 0
UncleDrax said:
as many of the new LDs coming into the scene will learn, creating map edges that work is a whole art unto itself :)
looked into making the edges a bit more realistic and came up with this for one end of the map, just need to sort the rest out now lol.

Done with 2 emmiters so looks fairly good, also added sounds to it to make it more realistic.

Shot00041.jpg

Upvote 0
myzko said:
Tanks?? I think this map would be great as a pure infantry map, maybe one tank as support :D

It would be a good infantry map in certain areas, But this is a Big Map, think it is bigger than arad, so would be a bit to far to walk all that way to the front lines each time.

It also has some good areas for some intense tank battles as the fog makes visability difficult so would be close quarters tank battles, That is the aim anyway.

If you go flat out into the fog, you will not last long as there is sure to be an enemy tank just waiting for you to pop out. So that should make infantry support more benificial, Lone tankers would not fair to well either.

I may release a preview and get some opinions on what is needed to make it better. As this is my first ever map I am still green to know what is best where.

Maybe a Beta release on thursday.

Upvote 0
ExoCet-NAW said:
You drown simple as that, However I have to add minefield's under the water, as Tanks do not drowned and can still function normally under water ????.

A Minefield would result in people/tanks blowing up in the water, which would be kind of weird. I think theres a damage volume that can do class specific damage, so you could damage tanks if they enter the volume.

Upvote 0
OK after some hair pulling and frustration, the spawn problem is now fixed.

A big thank you to DingBat from TW and Dev.

It appears that the water volume I had under the water to stop players going underwater was causing and is still causing the spawn problems. I have now had to resort to adding a minefield under the water (which is not realistic) but it achieves the results I want.

Mainly early war tanks and axis are without the 44.

I have just got to add some preview Screens and a readme and then upload it to my website.

So it should be ready by tommorow or friday latest.

Upvote 0