• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AI Needs Work!

Vehicle pathfinding by the bots is quite amusing. They run into and over each other and get pinned in tight places. If I'm standing in the cupola and a bot jumps into the driver's seat I can guarantee you it will turn the rear of the tank toward the enemy. It will also refuse to obey any commands you give it from the keyboard.

Enemy AI is lot like playing the original version of DOOM. They line up in nice neat rows for quick burst put downs. The AI of the bots in COD2 is vastly superiour to ROO.

I've been playing these types of games for a very long time and I see so much potential in this one. I hope they get it right with the patches or this game will follow so many before it onto my junk pile, "Banned from my hard drive!"

ROOST was never really meant to be a single-player experience. Hence the no single-player missions, etc. TW simply did not have the man-power or time to create good AI, which believe you me is not an easy process. Good AI is extremely time consuming, and requires alot of code. If you are playing ROOST for the single-player aspect, you will be disappointed.

Upvote 0
Ramm has already spent way too much time working on AI. RO is a multiplayer game and anytime wasted on AI is time taken away from new features for what the game was meant to be played as. Even if you perfected AI its not as fun as playing against live people.

Please, never ever touch AI again, in fact, I would be happier if bots were even taken out altogether. Any server that has them instantly loses the immersion factor and I leave.

Upvote 0
Bots suck balls as tankers, theres nothing to be done about that. They are OK as infantry, nothing fantastic.

Fact of the matter is there is really nothing to be done. I don't know if TW will improve the AI, but I do know there are more important issues than wasting many hours making the bots a bit better.

For a multiplayer game, the AI really does not pay off in man-hours vs noticable improvement.

Upvote 0
CKHenson said:
I agree with you about the multiplayer intent. But what about games we set up on our own server where we add bots to flesh out the game?

All bots are good for is practicing your shot against moving targets and the current one's more than pass on that respect. Youd be better off splitting up the people you have and fighting that way even if its only 2 on 2 or 1 on 1. As Bob said, it is extremely hard to code awesome AI and it just isnt worth anywhere near the effort for an mp game.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
All bots are good for is practicing your shot against moving targets and the current one's more than pass on that respect. Youd be better off splitting up the people you have and fighting that way even if its only 2 on 2 or 1 on 1. As Bob said, it is extremely hard to code awesome AI and it just isnt worth anywhere near the effort for an mp game.
Bots aren't even good for that IMO. They just don't move like people. Randomly turning around back and forth for no real reason makes it difficult to shoot them from a distance. Any server that has bots is filtered out on my browser. So if your server has them, your server doesn't exist to me.

Upvote 0
They are the best hip shooters in the game:eek:! So dont go bashing them too horrobaly. And the CoD AI are readable with no really random paths. I played the demo level several times and memorized where they came from and picked them off at my leasure and the same with other levels. Red O's AI at least makes it a little more interesting, like actually facing a Russian human wave, something you dont see too often during MP play . But, like what everyone said, MP is way better and the AI mode is all for target and bayo practice and a level helper. One thing I do like is that my AI team can actually win if I dont even try to help. Unlike BF AI where if you dont help you lose as badly as the Russians did during the early blitzkriegs(no bash intended). My only really beef is the hip shooting... they are just freakin crazy. And in MP shooting a human player is just waaayyyy more rewarding.

Upvote 0
I wish at least that bots would not be that damn SLOOOOOWWW. Their taking aim takes forever and they can't even sprint ffs (at least I never saw them sprint). Not that I ever play offline but playing with them on a server is pure comedy.

AI in UT2004 was much better in comparison, did they need to strip it down and build it anew for RO?

Upvote 0
Droog said:
Their taking aim takes forever and they can't even sprint ffs (at least I never saw them sprint). Not that I ever play offline but playing with them on a server is pure comedy.
Well, the other day, the bots on the server I was on were hipshooting like hackers...for real.

One on the opposite team even had more points than the real players...

Upvote 0
Don't know but IMO since a lot of the time you end up playing on a server with bot's anyway, and since the game so far seems relatively faultless (for me anyway) why not improve the online bot's AI performance?

Wouldn't this be a first as well? A predominantly online games with bot's that are indeed a challenge as well as controllable.

After all, I doubt that we'll ever see the player numbers that BF2 for example has since this game appeals to a small niche of players looking for a different gaming experience.

I think this was one of the reasons the mod didn

Upvote 0
It would be nice if Tripwire's next game (I hope for an RO2 lol) had a well-developed AI system. If it could be done, it would have advantages over MP. At least the bots do what you tell them to do. In most servers, everybody goes their own way. There is hardly any team coordination at all, except in clans.

Upvote 0