• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ironsight too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make the iron sights come up faster? I agree. They feel a bit clumsy coming to bear when I really need them. This isn't all that ought to be done, though.

Currently, the 3D model of the player's weapon occupies the bottom right corner of their field of view, changing aimpoint at a rate independent of the rate the player changes their direction of view. Assuming that the image drawn to the PC monitor is an approximation of what the human eye sees, the gun would have to be held snug on the player's virtual shoulder in order to appear this way in reality. Externally, however, the players appear to be holding their weapon at hip level and slightly drawn back and thus, do not correspond correctly to that weapon's position as apparent in first-person.

What I propose is this: change the external appearance of the players' weapons to reflect their position in first-person mode and decrease the time it takes to raise the sights, because if a person is holding a firearm at shoulder level, all they need to do is move their head to align their eye of preference with the front and rear sights, not move the entire gun. The process is near instantaneous in practice and should be reflected as such in the game.

Should the developers feel that this is unwarranted, they could also consider making it so that the weapons appear shouldered but also appear canted downward torwards the ground. In this arrangement, the weapons come up to unsighted shoulder mode with one click of the fire button and fire with the next, whereas iron sight mode activates with the iron sight button and fires with the fire button, as it does now. This would at least make for some visual consistency with the external views.

Upvote 0
I like the time it takes personally. I know in real life I can get the iron sites up a bit faster, but I can't get my bearings, balance, stability and focus together as fast. In the end, it balances out well. You can't really put stability, balance and focus into the game as it would make it more awkward and frustrating than fun. There needs to be a delay of some sort though to give it a more authentic (read: non arcade like) feel. I think they found a good medium that doesn't sacrifice too much playability for the sake of being overly realistic.

After all, if the game was 100% realistic, you'd die once and then never be able to play the game again. ;)

Upvote 0
maconha said:
I'd be faster in real life.... But who knows.........
I know. The average time for a trained soldier to take aim at a target is three seconds. Now, in Red Orchestra you:

-Are holding the weapon on the level of your hip
-Are using a military rifle a lot heavier than a modern assault rifle
-Get your sights perfectly lined up for a short time once you get your sights up.

So as a matter of fact, aiming is a lot faster and easier than in real life.

Upvote 0
[RWTD]Burn[GKR] said:
There needs to be a delay of some sort though to give it a more authentic (read: non arcade like) feel. I think they found a good medium that doesn't sacrifice too much playability for the sake of being overly realistic.

After all, if the game was 100% realistic, you'd die once and then never be able to play the game again. ;)

i agree some sort of delay, but a lot of the time its hard to aim quickly when the animation is so slow...i mean if the animation was a bit faster it would be realistic because the player still has to adjust and take the shot..yes sometimes i can take a fast shot but i think it would be reasonable to speed it up slightly at least

Upvote 0
DrGuppy said:
Personally I would speed it up a bit, but make the gun sway side to side a bit for a second while the sights line up. That way you can bring it up quickly but to get precise aim you have to wait a second for the front and back sights to line up.

I was just going to suggest the same thing myself. :)

I like the way it is currently, but if you wanted to be picky, I think the above method would work slightly better. To be honest I cant see it effecting gameplay hugely tho.

Upvote 0
I think the timing on the iron sights is fine. In fact, I think it sometimes adds a sense of panic when you are in a position where it is shoot first or be shot.

If you are all too worried about the other guy getting the shot off first, duck or run like hell and get out of there. It's not always worth it to stand there and trade 'punches' if the other guy goes first.

Keep the timing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.