• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Jamming (Merged Yet Again)

Xi0N said:
There are a small percent of faulty nades, that you launch and they just dont blow. Why not also some blank bullets that you fire and say: "WTF?? why there was no "bang!!"??, just rechamber another bullet, and thats all

What do you think? more realism, IMO

;)
This would rock on the bolt-action rifles, you just bolt them out! :D

Maybe it could also be done with Papasha's and other submachineguns/machinepistols...
Click fire, and you bolt out the unspent round.

Upvote 0
Crusher said:
I would like to see jamming sooner then dud bullets. Could give some nice game moments like
"HAHA, I've got him"
*clunk*
"oh ****"

Adding in a jamming feature would most likely be harder...
A new animation, maybe sound, and modeling would have to be added in order for this to be a quality addition...
I myself would also like to see it very much...infact i agree with you that it should be added first...but i think it would be alot harder to add this feature.
Both would be very cool things see happen while in battle.

Upvote 0
I would like jamming. Reminds me of last weekend. I went to shootin range with my dads glock to get rid of some ammo that was pretty old and cheap to begin with. W/e was wrong everytime i fired the case would not eject correctly and id have to pull the slide back to eject it and then fire again. That would be really frustrating in a fire fight. It was dam furstrating just at some stupid shooting range. Then i bought some new bullets and fired of two clips to try it out and it was much nicer. I wonder, did the germans or the russians ever cheap out on bullets. I would imagine some units probably got faulty ammo during some important engagements, but thats jsut speculation.

Upvote 0
Nite said:
I wonder, did the germans or the russians ever cheap out on bullets. I would imagine some units probably got faulty ammo during some important engagements, but thats jsut speculation.

Gunter K. Koschorrek (an MG42 gunner in the East) relates in his book Blood Red Snow how he would have a mix of enameled and brass ammo. The enameled ammo was always considered to be far less reliable than the brass type (leading to stoppages and jamming), so he always used it as a last resort when in a firefight.

Upvote 0
Don't know what all the fuss is over about not having jamming in the game. It's not like it would happen every other round you fired. And please, let's say you were creeping up on some guy and your gun jammed and you got killed. Big deal? It happens enough anyways. I really don't see why people would hate to having something that would probably be very, very rare in-game.

Upvote 0
Kalashnikov Slamdunk said:
If you people want REALISTIC weapon jams. well sondier this: RUSSIAN GUNS BARELY JAMMED, AND THE GERMANS DID ALL THE TIME.
its not very fair, so it would cause an unbalance in my opinion. so to hell with the jamming idea, in my opinion.
Aha. The only German guns really prone to jamming were the MP40 and sometimes the MG34. Soviets had their share of malfunctions with the SVT40 and the PPDs...

Most malfunctions are due to the guns getting dirty and hot because of extensive firing. With the average life expectance in RO of approximately 1 min 17 sec i doubt anyone could abuse his weapon in that period so badly that it'd jam. It's simply a lot of coding for a few occasions, better save that cpu-time for something more important.

Upvote 0
fire4effect said:
Don't know what all the fuss is over about not having jamming in the game. It's not like it would happen every other round you fired. And please, let's say you were creeping up on some guy and your gun jammed and you got killed. Big deal? It happens enough anyways. I really don't see why people would hate to having something that would probably be very, very rare in-game.
We have dud nades...they dont happen every round...aswell as misfire tank shells... they dont happen all the time either...
Why not add more realism to the game by adding weapon jamming or weapons not firing?
I dont see whats wrong with it...its true to real life and it makes the game a bit more interesting.

Upvote 0
Shadow2Lead said:
First if there is already weapon jamming ignore this post.

Second if there isn't what I would think it would be is a .5%-1% chance that when you fire your weapon jams. Meaning you would have to go through a lengthy (7-16 seconds) unjamming procedure this can be very critical. if for instance (real story of what happened to my grandfather) you open/knock down a door and there is a enemy there; with a grenade you of course shoot and your weapon jams forcing you to use the butt of your gun in a close combat to defeat the enemy.

My guns jam all the time, in particular when I play Russian. It also happens at a crucial moment, like the final moments of holding a position and I am being charged by several enemy. I have to reload and die as I do, what more do you want?!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I think it would be really great to have weapon jamming implemented. There have been a couple of times in AA that I've face to face with someone, only to jam. Then I usually cuss up a storm, and try to run while fixing my jam :) . And even though I do die most of the time, I found it great for something so unexpected to happen. But I would like RO to take it to the next level. Like chances of jamming for specific weapons, as well as jamming chances to increase from exterior circumstances.

I've read some statements on this topic that are totally wrong though. Ramboing is not going to directly affect your chance of jamming at all. Also, the more rounds you fire does not directly mean the greater the chances you have of jamming. This might sound funny but yes, after firing more rounds your more likely to have encoutered at least one jam than if you fired less rounds, but your chances of jamming does not accumilate after each consecutive round. I have fired 100's if not 1000's of rounds out of my 1911A1 and have not encountered one jam yet and I dont expect to for another several thousand rounds.

So jamming is going to be a very rare event (unless outside circumstances dictate otherwise), in fact it might not even in a round or a couple of rounds or even tens of rounds, but when it does happen, I'm sure your going to go "OH ****", then after a week, youll be like, I remember that one time I jammed and then killed that guy after bayoneting him in close quarters before he could fire off any rounds.

1. Jamming and Jamming chances should also be specific to the type of weapon. Jamming a bolt action rifle should be very hard to do, because of the limited amount of moving parts. Also, most potential jams with a bolt action can be manhandled, so in general jams with bolt actions would be extremely rare. But if they did happen, unjamming would be quick by charging the bolt and tilting the rifle. Also (this is an assumption) that the sloppier bolt actions (Russians) would jam more frequently than the tighter bolt actions, as any jam in a bolt action is going to take place during the period that the round is being loaded into the chamber.

1a. Heres an example of what I'm talking about. I have an SKS (yes I know its a semi, but its the princple of the matter), and it likes to jam every once in a while (about every third time I fire about 100 or more rounds out of it). But the reason it jams is because the round jams itself against the metal above the chamber. The reason for this is beacuse the gun is sloppy and when it shoves the round against that sloped metal before the chamber, the round likes to knock itself upward. Now this is whats supposed to happen, but since there are inconsitencies with rifle, it will sometimes like to jump to high. Fixing the jam is easy, but it does happen more frequently than my other guns (in fact, my k98 has never jammed).

2. More complex weapons (SMG's and Assualt Rifles) should have a greater chance to jam than bolt actions, but nothing unreasonable (it takes my SKS anywhere from 50 (rare) to 300 rounds before it jams). Now the problem with this is, your going to have to balance sloppy with tight. I would assume that a sloppy weapon would have more of a chance to jam than a tight one in a controlled test, but sloppy weapons are usually hardly affected by dirt, where as tight weapons are quite vulnerable (take a look at the AK47 vs. the M16). Then again, a tight weapon is going to be more accurate at longer distance than sloppier ones. (Take a look at an SKS vs an Ak47, or an Ak47 vs M16). Some of yall are probably saying, "but wherever you point your rifle is where the bullets gonna go", but thats only half true. All weapons, to some extent, have a spread, and usually the nicer the weapons, the more tight the spread.

3. Exterior circumstances should play a good role in the chances of jams. Are you shooting from a reletively clean house in Arad, or are you crawling through the mud and water in Konig Platz? Are you hiding behind a house, while the artillary strike next to you is kicking up lots of dirt, and filling the air with fine dust? Did you just pick up ammunition or especially a magazine off the ground? Did that HE round just hit the second story of the house above you?

So all in all, jamming isnt going to be a determining factor in the outcome of a round (for the most part), but a cool feature that takes place at the personal level.

Also, I'm sure that the devs have extensive research on most of all weapons on the eastern front, so if they do implement it, theyll get all aspects of it correct.

(god I hate writing, yet I wrote a novel :p )

Upvote 0
When I see this suggestion I think "way to nerf the automatics even more!"

I'm all for a subtle introduction of weapon jamming, but at least fix the currently flawed implimentation of automatics before you do so! Now where did I put that mosin carbine.. I have buildings crawling with MP40's to clear, and just watch me succeed ;)

Upvote 0
Wk~ said:
I've been against jamming since AA. I always felt that it passed the boundary of playable realism, which is never a good thing.

It's about the equivilent of including tripping, in game. Did it happen? Sure it did. Probably happened a lot more than weapon jams happened, especially with all that gear, on rough foriegn terrain, in bitter conditions, under pressure, etc.

Is it realistic? Yeah. Is it realistically fun? No. Every feature in RO is realistically fun. Having to work the bolt, having to use iron sights, having a slight inertia-- none of these things impede gameplay. They all add something to it. Including random jams would impede it. Including tripping would. Including misfires, random fuses, fumbling around with a magazine, all these things would be realistic. This is indisputable. However, all these things cross the boundary of where things are fun and realistic, and just hinder gameplay.

And to be honest, "it's realistic" should never be a solid enough argument. It should be feasible, it should add something, and most of all it should be good for gameplay. If a feature is to be added it should feature in all of the above, especially in the last. If you ever find yourself using "it's realistic" as an argument, just remember that including random tripping when you are sprinting is realistic-- but not fun :rolleyes:

It all seems to be a matter of what each individual person views as fun. You for instance don't think anything you mentioned would be fun, fair enough. I on the other hand "DO" think the implementation of random factors (such as jamming) would be loads of fun.

...but you're right. It's nice to find a balance between gameplay and realism. I don't want people to go overboard and suggest things such as tripping, blinking, sneezing, etc. Yet, weapon Jams "Do and Did" occur. They were a factor on combat just like Aim, Location, etc. Realistic? Yes. Fun? To me, yes. Yet, I might be the only one who feels that way.

{WP}Paas

Upvote 0