• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Collection of Reviews

Hyperion2010 said:
One of the best reviews out there. It covers everything and not from a "what it doesnt do" perspective, but from a "this is what it does and why it rocks the **** out of everything else" view.

Well and he's the best informed Reviewer up to now, he's been around the Forum for a few weeks now, and hes a darn good writer at that. And its certainly very objective, though one has to keep in Mind its from the Perpective of a Wargamer who tend to not look down on Realism Games.

Upvote 0
Witzig said:
And its certainly very objective, though one has to keep in Mind its from the Perpective of a Wargamer who tend to not look down on Realism Games.

If someone has a problem realizing this when reading a review from wargamer.com then they have serious issues!:p

It is definitely the most thorough and informative review up until this point. I would like to see some more reviewers who take the time with RO like this guy has.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
BRM, jake's review also has a score of a 9 given by the other reviewer (if I remeber correctly).

Yeah, I didnt quite get their scoring system, the "Final score" says 8.6, but then it says "reviewers score" at 9, so now that I read it again, maybe its the reviewer giving some "cool points" or something.. , oh, what the hell, maybe I should adjust it to a nine :D

Upvote 0
From gameroobie review:
"Oddly, the two main rifles—the Kar98k and the Mosin-Nagant M1891/30—both have the same firing sound."

Watta bull****... I can cerntainly hear difference between those rifles.. Maybe his hearing aren't that god... :D

Poor Xancerman... Well the difference in shoot sound between different rifles depends on the barrel length, and width, and so on... So if the K98's not a 80mm cannon compared to the mosin nagant rifles, it WILL sound a little different, but not that much. And it's realistic.
I would though like to change the Mg-34 and DP shoot sounds, NOT the distant ones only the "close ones..." For me, they doesn't fit with the other sounds. The mg-42 has a great shoot sound IMO.

But as the guys said in that review, you can ofcourse have more noticible difference in the shoot sounds, because this is a game, and is supposed to be fun, then I wouldn't mind to have more noticable sounds at all... I think you know what I mean. ;)

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Ramm should go smack the reviewer at gotfrag for complaining about controls lol!

No, it's totally valid IMO.
From the mod -> retail things have improved, but keys could still be further streamlined.
There are still some keys which could be combined, since they do different actions for different guns, eg: barrel change and give MG ammo are different keys (unless MG's can still give other MG's ammo, which would be silly anyway, if I was an MG I would probably carry as much ammo as I could for my own MG, possibly, I would assume...?), and switch fire mode is also a different key.
If you can find me a situation where you as a player would need to be able to change the MG barrel and give the MGer ammo, or switch fire mode and deploy/attach bayonet, then I will concede, but at the moment you can't need to do these things at the same time, yet they have seperate keys.

The reviewer also suggests a furthered context based use key, so it will do things like give MG ammo in the right situation, which also makes sense as an alternative.

Upvote 0
Lonyo said:
No, it's totally valid IMO.
From the mod -> retail things have improved, but keys could still be further streamlined.
There are still some keys which could be combined, since they do different actions for different guns, eg: barrel change and give MG ammo are different keys (unless MG's can still give other MG's ammo, which would be silly anyway, if I was an MG I would probably carry as much ammo as I could for my own MG, possibly, I would assume...?), and switch fire mode is also a different key.
If you can find me a situation where you as a player would need to be able to change the MG barrel and give the MGer ammo, or switch fire mode and deploy/attach bayonet, then I will concede, but at the moment you can't need to do these things at the same time, yet they have seperate keys.

The reviewer also suggests a furthered context based use key, so it will do things like give MG ammo in the right situation, which also makes sense as an alternative.

There are always something to improve, but compared to say, the BattleField series , where you have to configure manually keys for land, air, sea and helicopter AND "common", and everytime you press something used elsewhere it says "conflict detected" and never say with what button or function.... Worst of all, it offers no good help, such as "clear all my ****ing keys, and let me do it over.." no, you have to look through FIVE PAGES of controls just to find out where the conflict is.. and when you finally find it, you need to manually set it to something else, and then go back to the first one to change it..

Trust me, the controls in RO is a dream come true compared to all that ****.

Upvote 0
As noone has added it yet:

The german magazine PC Powerplay reviewed it in it's april issue.

You can find the whole article over at www.redorchestragame.net, the german commmunity hub.

And now for the quick summary:

pros:
realistic weapon physics
ingenious level design
runs well on older machines

cons
frustrating for beginners
useless single player mode
long loading times when you don't have 2 gigs of RAM

Rating: 81/100

Graphics: 8/10
Sound: 7/10
Controls: 7/10
Singleplayer 3/10

The quite long text (2 pages) is pretty much a summary of the game, praising the realism and graphics, and the only gripe is that you need a clan to really enjoy it in it's full tactical glory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0