• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Collection of Reviews

"If you want to recreate a realistic experience, it has to cover every aspect of the game, not just some of the specific mechanics. Other games like Call of Duty may be far less realistic, but succeed much more greatly in creating an immersive experience."
-G4

They actually make an interesting point here. I'm not sure if it's actually true, but it gets me thinking, does the feel of realism ultimately come from the mechanics or the "environment"?

Upvote 0
Gamesector Translation (The conclusion):

The bottom line is that Red Orchestra is a well-designed and a very enjoyable tactical online shooter, with a certain twist, that the game attempts to creat an aura of ultra-realism, and in a different setting (unlike almost any other game in the genre its based on the eastern front) This is the greatest strength of the game, but herein lies also some of its weaknesses, among other things its sometimes rather complicated gameplay. Red Orchestra is NOT a game you take home in the afternoon and become world champion in the same night. It demands alot from the player - much patience and team-spirit, and the ability to work together on a tactical plan. But if you want that kind of thing more than senseless,reflect-based action, like in Battlefield 1942, you just cant go wrong with the amazing Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45.

Upvote 0
I really did like The X-play staff since the gamespot days long ago , but this review is like they didn't even try to learn play or understand the game , If they are sick of war games & tired of "realism" they will have a rough job ahead of them as the way i see it more & more games are getting smarter & playing catch up to RO by implemnting alot of the same things , I hope they don't have to review games like Americas Army or Insurgency or Armed assault etc. those are just what come to mind ....this new trend of "realism " just may make them want to quit , go home & hug a console,.....

XplayRaw1a.jpg

Upvote 0
PC Zone DOES cover RO this month - 2 pages in the section on Valve/Steam - full review next month.

There's a print review on its way in Australia - and you missed this one: [url]http://www.hlfallout.net/articles.php/review_83/[/URL]

Cheers - keep 'em coming!
Other than the load time, system issues are delegated to a handful of crippling bugs. The reviews are all pretty fair, but most of the things they criticize are the good things that seperate RO from games like BF2 and CS. I suppose you would have to see the evolution of the mod to retail to understand why things like manual bolting are lifesavers.

Upvote 0
I've not seen many game breaking bugs apart from the grenade bug but it's not a game breaker apart from the friendly fire kills that happen because your game avatar throws like a gay man or extremely feminine woman!.
The game seems pretty bug free on the whole but i've not been playing long so could have missed a fair few of the bugs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've not seen many game breaking bugs apart from the grenade bug but it's not a game breaker apart from the friendly fire kills that happen because your game avatar throws like a gay man or extremely feminine woman!.
The game seems pretty bug free on the whole but i've not been playing long so could have missed a fair few of the bugs.
You do realize that there are two throwing techniques in the game? One is under handed for short throws, one is overhanded for those looong throws. Perhaps you keep using the underhanded toss?

Upvote 0