• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Assault whistles and HURRRRAAAHHHH

Blond_Knight

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 27, 2006
I know this would just be for atmosphere more than likely but what about giving the Wehrmacht officers whistles to blow? This would help coordinate with teammates on when to rush a position.
And how about giving the Soviets the ability to HUURRRAAHHH together at the same time, maybe for a minute or more, and could be heard within a certain range on the map? It would be pretty exciting to see a human wave coming toward you.

Hollywood.

I havn't heard anything about German officers using whistles, but I could be wrong, I just seem to think that whistles would be best suited for the Russians. Also I'm not so sure the yelling from the Russians is that realistic either. I mean really when you are running through a city square are you going to be yelling, maybe if your drunk, but otherwise you'd be silent or screaming. The yelling would have to be scripted in anyway.

Upvote 0
I really dont know, why they dont put "HUURRRRRRAAAAHHHH" in the game :confused: This 'phrase' was used in 99% cases when soviets start attacking.

Imo, voice commands much better than mod's, but i still have presentiment that they having a tea break or something like that. More emotions, its a WAR! And also they sounds too young for 40yrs old soldier model.

Upvote 0
hahah i doubt it!
they probably yelled "Blin, vernus li ya iz etoy voyni k mami ili net?" ( ***** will i come back from this war to my family or not )
all sort of patriotic **** died away as soon as the actual abttle started, and people just wanted to come back to their mothers, and stalin didnt matter anymore and neither did their country. i heard from many veteran documentaries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The whistles might not be historical, maybe Im thinking of WW1. But every account of fighting on the Eastern front always has some mention of the Soviet warcry. Usually with some surprise as to how long they could keep it up or that they kept it up even after they made they hade made contact. And many times apparently the Soviets were given Vodka before major attacks.

Upvote 0
You may be thinking about the whistle from Vietnam movies. Also I believe the COD games used the whistle, but we all know how realistic COD is.

As for the yelling, I've yet to read a book that even mentions them yelling when they charge into battle. But I've heard of drunk Russian soldiers. So I'm sure one some instances small groups of drunken men probably yelled and then were promptly dispatched.

'boevie 100 gramm'

I do believe that is actually their daily ration of vodka. But during this time you were only allowed your ration and what ever your officers allowed. I've read stories of Russians who went to a Russian Woman's house and she gave them bottles of vodka and such. They were arrested and court marshalled and the woman was sent to a gulag.

Upvote 0
FL1NT said:
I really dont know, why they dont put "HUURRRRRRAAAAHHHH" in the game :confused: This 'phrase' was used in 99% cases when soviets start attacking.

Imo, voice commands much better than mod's, but i still have presentiment that they having a tea break or something like that. More emotions, its a WAR! And also they sounds too young for 40yrs old soldier model.
Most of the men fighting were fairly young, AFAIK.

Upvote 0
When you say “Huurrraahhh together” you mean like a war cry while charging the enemy? Because I think that could be cool. Why not give the charges added bonuses to simulate the adrenaline rush and team spirit one gets from doing this things?

You could get increased stamina, speed, bayonet damage and immunity of limping while performing a war cry charge, the effect of this could be increased by the number of simulations war cry chargers. So doing this alone would have no effect.

The actual implementation on this could be like this. If the officer ordered to charge, all soldiers in a reasonable proximity got the option to charge if he starts to run, but only as long as you were running along with the rest of the soldiers. Stopping, jogging or walking meant that you lost the benefits of charging and weakened the effect for the soldiers who were still charging.

I know this contradicts the whole realism ideology of some people as it is a non direct controllable effect. But effects like stamina, adrenaline and the soldier’s otherwise physical conditions must be handled by the game by making “rules” like this.

One of the biggest problems with this though is that you would need a considerable amount of soldiers to make an actual proper war cry charge, meaning most of the time the whole team, but it would be awesome when it actually happened, a full scale charge were everybody just fearlessly charged the enemy while crying out. Running into the poor soldiers trying to defend the spot with their trusty bolt rifle and stabbing them to death.

Upvote 0
Avatar this isn't a real time strategy game. Besides I stated in my above posts that the war cry is just rediculous. There was a reason why barbarians back in 0 AD used war cries, because back then life was scary. But in WW2 the Germans had mg42s, and no matter how fierce a war cry is its not going to change the fact that the mg42 is going to mow down about 100 of the guys. So don't believe everything hollywood and EA tells you.

Upvote 0