• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Afrika Campaign Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys, the more the merrier!

The way i plan on organising it is that on the forum their will be a JOBS section...this will list every single job that needs to be completed, and people will be able to (once they've joined the team) mark that they are doing that job.

I would rather have 3 really good maps than 10 really average maps on a Beta Release, so if we focus on quality first...and then add to it later i reckon that may be better...but we'll see how it goes.

Here is the temporary banner I have done for the site, which will be up very shortly:

http://www.jakooldesigns.com/dirtyrat/banner.jpg

Shows Rommel vs Monty!

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra: Afrika

Just an idea to keep the name on the same theme :) Not fussed of course. Now out of curiosity, this mod isn't planning on breaking compatibility with the origional RO:O is it. In that a server can just wack this on in addition to the regular RO game and then when the map changes to an Afrika one everyone can just keep playing on.

Since RO isn't the hugest game on the internet a small mod like this would suffer badly in player bas if it was a sort of standalone is what im guessing

Upvote 0
Ok well you cant make just maps set in africa m8, coz you'll need new models, weapons etc...I dont think player base will be too much of a concern, most players of RO will probably be interested in taking a look.

I've made a temporary forum for the mod HERE

Nearly finished the first draft of the homepage.

The Desert War is just a temp name, we can think of something better as we go

Upvote 0
I hope you chaps go on to make Italy and Sicily as a theatre. Here's a few suggestions for your maps (based around Tobruk):

Tobruk Outskirts - Tank map with Germans and Brits facing off in a wide desert
Assault on Tobruk - The Germans launch an infantry and Tank based assault on the defences of the town
Tobruk Harbour - Infantry only map based on the fierce fighting around the harbour of the town

Take 'em or leave 'em, just wanted to do my part.

Upvote 0
UncleDrax said:
What I believe you should be able to do it just import the new vechicals/player roles (with thier new models, skins, sounds, weapons, etc..) into a new map.

I think (given my very limited amount of experience with UScript mind you..) that you should be able to just handle this like a mutator..

yeah that would be really cool if possible...and it may very well be :)

Upvote 0
If you still need a modeller, im up for it..

EDIT: menu could be something like this?
rodesertwarcopy6gs.jpg

I thought about instead of soldier, then having a tank battle viewed top down in the left area?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I were you guys I'd start at reskinning/modifying many of the german tanks already in RO:O that saw service on africa and begin work on the British tanks.

Tanks are going to be the most important part of any afrika korps mod (c'mon, its the big tank war!) So those should be priority.

The First release could be just afew tank engagements
The most important thing about modding is take small steps with realistic goals. Make sure every release is solid (cutting unworking features for releases) and release often because the feedback is important.

While waiting for the SDK to come out you can start with researching. Having a good bed of research materials is more important then getting members. That is what I am doing. I intend to have much of the required data collected and sorted well before I go looking for a programmer. (I'm already a mapper) It's important to know exactly how you want something to work before you start making it otherwise you'll have no idea where you are going and it will just become a big mess.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.