• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enemy indicator on screen

I'm not arguing that it's perfect at all. Here's my input regarding fixes for it, but I don't think it should be removed--because pheripheral vision IS a god-given motion detector. That's why it evolved--the ability to distinguish sudden movements on the edges of one's field of vision favored individuals with that trait.

The indicators, however, should be:

--More subtle--perhaps just a very small point, or even a distorted blur.
--able to show friendlies as well as enemies
--more limited in range, only showing enemies out to 75 yards. Should not work through smoke.

Once they show friendlies, breakthroughs are rewarded because the soldier sneaking behind enemy lines will show up as an indicator that enemies will assume is on their side, based on how far away from the frontline they are.

Once they are made more subtle, concentrating intently on that Russian pinned behind the truck in the middle of the square will make it far more likely that you will miss the blur on the far left of your screen--natural tunnel vision, just as in reality.

You're defending the position that it is OK for a game to give players SA, instead of a game requiring players to achieve SA.

For me, your position is bizarre, and a bit sad. I want to be good based on my own merits, not a game feature.

Upvote 0
I think a lot of you guys are missing the point. You can use it see people in smoke and hedges. It's extremely cheap and totally unrealistic. Yes, I like the concept. Yes, I understand it's subtle. Yes, I agree it's realistic most of the time. But the fact that you can scan bushes and smoke completely breaks it.

Not to mention its ability to see through fences, laundry (Spartanovka) and trenches as well.

Upvote 0
I think a lot of you guys are missing the point. You can use it see people in smoke and hedges. It's extremely cheap and totally unrealistic. Yes, I like the concept. Yes, I understand it's subtle. Yes, I agree it's realistic most of the time. But the fact that you can scan bushes and smoke completely breaks it.

Starting to look at this closer. On Fallen Fighters, I had little tiny indicators telling me about guys that were clear across the map.

I fired blindly into the area, heard the *snick*, and my guy cried out "I killed him brother!". Then, the delayed kill scroll confirmed.

Never saw one enemy, but my computer did.

Upvote 0
then it should be reported as a bug in the proper forum. they can fix it just like they fixed bots shooting you through smoke.

Upvote 0
You're defending the position that it is OK for a game to give players SA, instead of a game requiring players to achieve SA.

For me, your position is bizarre, and a bit sad. I want to be good based on my own merits, not a game feature.

Please don't mistake me as someone who needs to be spoon-fed to succeed in a game. I have a collection of combat flight simulators that I always play on full realism, with the hardest flight model, all game HUD elements disabled--and since my joystick broke years ago, I play with a mouse and keyboard.:p

And it's hardly spoon-feeding. Hey, it's not as though the player has a Halo-esque scanner or a CoD-esque minimap showing the height, bearing, and distance of every enemy. :rolleyes: You still have to be situationally aware to a high level to succeed in Red Orchestra--what kind of firearm is firing on the floor above you? Are you too far in front of your allies to be easily supported? Is that muzzle flash from a friendly or enemy weapon? What is the current trend in the battle and what should you be doing to help your team maintain that advantage or counter the enemy's advance? Are you in a vulnerable position to being flanked in the first place? Is that a grenade that just landed next to you? :eek:

Oh, and once you see that pheripheral indicator show up faintly at the extreme edge of your screen--is that an enemy, or is that the friendly machine gunner who came by earlier returning to pick up more ammo? Pheripheral indicators place fresh demands on your tactical awareness. Do you bother to check your left quickly and risk missing an opportunity to slow the enemy advance across the square, or do you take that shot at the distant enemy, confident that you're just seeing another ally in the corner of your eye?

Pheripheral indicators don't give you a minimap and directions to every hostile within a 500-yard radius. They don't remove or even significantly diminish the need to be situationally aware. Many times, they announce to me that I've failed to be situationally aware--I can already hear the MP40 riddling me. In RO2 right now, how many times have you been surprised and killed even with the current pheripheral indicator system? If it is improved to be more subtle, show only MOVING people, and show friendlies and nerfed to only show enemies out to 50-75 meters, wouldn't the number of unpleasant surprises logically rise?

Currently, I agree--the vision indicators as implemented do reduce the need for situational awareness somewhat. If fixed, however, I feel that it can act in precisely the way it should--giving you a tool you would have in real life, with all its advantages and disadvantages.

I mean, ever try and sneak up on a friend from one side and get spotted? Ever throw a snowball at someone from one side only for them to spot, see, and dodge it? Pheripheral vision makes it difficult to sneak up on someone in real life, as designed by nature.

Pheripheral vision or not, you still have to evaluate: am I in good cover? Can I be easily seen from outside? Can I be surprised easily? Can I be supported by my allies? Do I have an escape route if a grenade lands? Am I covering a good approach to the capzone? Am I protected from artillery? Can I move quickly if I need to? You're still a fleshy, weak human (or will be once the wound system is fixed), and the best way to extend your short lifespan is still to exercise situational awareness.

Two fixes I forgot to mention:

--indicators should show only moving (sprinting or jogging) enemies and friendlies.
--indicators should show up as "false alarms" from time to time randomly.

Reactions: Tummel
Upvote 0
does this not work on high res such as 1680 by 1050!?!?
I'm about to quit the game, seeing as its not
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad
Its Get Killed By People You Cant See: Stalingrad...
really really need some kind of enemy indicator...
what? you're gonna rage quit because there's no radar that shows all the enemy locations?

Upvote 0
what? you're gonna rage quit because there's no radar that shows all the enemy locations?

it gets irritating dying from some location you cant see.. I lowered my res and started noticing these things.. they are limited but yes I see how they are overpowered.. the most they do is say hey you might be being flanked turn around..
its fine, but, one if my headphones is broken.. only getting sound out of a single ear and cant hear foot steps......

try changing to 1680 by 1050 and see if its gone.. hmhm..

Upvote 0
does this not work on high res such as 1680 by 1050!?!?
I'm about to quit the game, seeing as its not
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes Of Stalingrad
Its Get Killed By People You Cant See: Stalingrad...
really really need some kind of enemy indicator...
They're there but they're hard to notice on hi-res widescreen aspect ratios unless you are, paradoxically, specifically looking for them. I'm on 1920x1200 (16:10) and I have to consciously change my behaviour to PVI-watching otherwise I just don't see them during normal play. I've played on a lower res 4:3 monitor and they're easy to see without changing your behaviour. PVIs are a nice idea in principle but the implementation of them is seriously flawed on several important levels. All in all I'm currently of the mind that the game would be better off without them - if only on the strength of them being what amounts to be infallible concealed target radar (aka. a sanctioned hack).

Upvote 0
There are two setting in the server admin to control these. See image below. One is called Peripheral Action Indicator and the other is Peripheral Whips.

In realism mode the Peripheral Action Indicator is on however the Peripheral Whips is off. I would imagine that in relaxed mode both features are active.

When the server is set up under realism mode a bunch of features are force on or off. If the server operator wants to turn off the Peripheral Action Indicator feature they need to change from realism to custom. That way they can access the setting.

I think these days no one really checks if the server actually say 'realism' or 'custom'. You just notice that their is no radar or kill cam or the other relaxed features and assume its realism.

So if you feel so strongly about the feature bug your server operator to go custom and remove it.

Attachments

• whipsscreenie.png
    whipsscreenie.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: >< f4ct0r...13
Upvote 0
There are two setting in the server admin to control these. See image below. One is called Peripheral Action Indicator and the other is Peripheral Whips.

In realism mode the Peripheral Action Indicator is on however the Peripheral Whips is off. I would imagine that in relaxed mode both features are active.

When the server is set up under realism mode a bunch of features are force on or off. If the server operator wants to turn off the Peripheral Action Indicator feature they need to change from realism to custom. That way they can access the setting.

I think these days no one really checks if the server actually say 'realism' or 'custom'. You just notice that their is no radar or kill cam or the other relaxed features and assume its realism.

So if you feel so strongly about the feature bug your server operator to go custom and remove it.

Doesn't custom setting cause the server to lose its ranked status?

Upvote 0

We've tested these settings when they were released. They do not work, or work in a manner other than designed.

We've put both items to dis-abled, an some players still reported them being active. Like most config items, they simply do not work.

Upvote 0

My feelings too, and I think TWI need to be aware that a large number of players dislike the way this feature has been implimented.

Far too many players still seem to be totally unhindered by smoke cover. Not sure if the peripheral vision indicator is the only issue at fault in this.

Upvote 0