• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper scope does not increase pixel resolution?

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
See screenshot. It seems to me that this 2x scope just makes the pixels twice as big. And that undermines the advantage of having a scope.
Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a graphics setting affecting this?
I'd rather have a textured scope with proper pixel resolution than this.

Attachments

• ScreenShot00023.jpg
    ScreenShot00023.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 0
Yes, I think this is what the game is like after scope optomization.

If we had an 8x scope or something, it would probably look like this:
29uTa.jpg

Upvote 0
Cwivey, those two screenshots were taken from the same place by the same avatar right?
cause i han't really noicted before, cause i don't use iron sights on the sniper rifle, but it really doesn't appear the the pu scope is as powerful as in real life. either that, or the iron sight zoom is too powerful. i'm gonna have to play with the sniper a bit and see what it looks like just looking, with iron sights and with the scope to be able to tell.

Upvote 0
Scope zoom performance penalty on my computer has since Red Orchestra: Ostfront, always halved my framerate. Framerate was unacceptably bad, so I would almost never use scoped weapons. I have been away from RO2 for a few months. Don't know much about what has happened to the scope. I was able to compare the Battlefield 3 scope solution to how RO2 was like last I played it:

RO2 method
Renders a secondary camera view (portal-style) placed appropriately inside the rifle-mounted scope. Apply several lens optical/distortion effects to the 'scope' portal.

+High degree of realism and immersion.
-Very high resource usage. Usually 50% drop in performance.
-Scope view compared to reality may be slightly too bright, too large and too generous with eye-scope alignment (visible when bolting). But maybe the first two would cause other unrealism issues if true to life.

Battlefield 3 method

Lower player FOV (i.e. zoom in), while placing a probably manipulated in size and position 3D+2D model of the rifle scope in the center of the screen. If scope has magnification higher than x4, everything outside the scope's field of view is hidden by a solid black color.
+Very low resource usage. Highly optimized.
-Crude. Realism lacking. No special effects at all.

Summary: The BF3 methods (one camera, then sometimes blacken the non-scope vision) are not as pretty, but in-game it is an acceptable compromise, and vastly preferred, to the 50% drop in performance experienced in RO2. I often found myself wishing they would have an option in RO2 to just blacken anything outside the scope, if it kept performance up.

Upvote 0
Which causes a framerate hiccup when bringing up the scope which makes it nearly impossible to snap-shot moving targets if you don't already have your scope up. By the time the frames start coming in again the fellow is behind cover.

Thanks for that one guys...

(And no its not my rig, it has ridiculous horsepower, its the game)

Upvote 0
No, you cannot change the scope resolution dynamically based on your screen resolution.

As the problem seems to be:confused: that by using the zoom fuction of the scope's actor camera. You gain not "zoom" but magnification, in an lower resolution environment than normally. Which causes pixel skipping.

Could dynamically adjusing scope resolution be implemented? I would just note that there must be an new option for scope resolution also if this was added. As it will drain even more system power, by adding a higher resolution.

Upvote 0