• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rifle grenade attachment for elite rifle class

Rifle grenade attachment for elite rifle class

• Yay!

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • Nay!

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters

Wookie87

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 28, 2011
UK
Been thinking, as it stands, elite rifle men have access to a semi auto rifle, and the bolt action rifle. I don't really see an awful lot of point in having both bolt action and semi auto rifles for that class. If you wanted bolt action, pick a bolt action class, no? So why not give an advantage/difference to picking bolt action for elite rifleman.

I thought replacing the bayo for the elite riflemans bolt action for a rifle grenade attachment. I know it was used by the German units a fair amount in WW2 but i have no idea if the Russians have the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_grenade

(Yes, i know its wiki)

I can see it as being rather useful support option and since its only elite rifle's bolt action, it would limit its actualy usage and reduce floodings of banzai rifle nade spams etc.

Last edited:
It would only be a "neat" idea if TWI actually implemented them in a realistic sense and severely limited them (unlike our current weapon situation :rolleyes:). Could you imagine the massive amount of noob-toobing on RO2's small CQB maps? If 3-4 people on each team have them? Could be a major cluster****, even if you had to be stationary to use them.

Reactions: Colt .45 killer
Upvote 0
I would say issue them with a handfull of AT and HE grenades ( like 2 or 3 of each ). And yes that weapon should be handed out to ONE, I repeat ONE, I repeat, ONE Person.

These should also be modeled properly with all associated drop and innacuracy that came along with.

For example I do know that these required special blank rounds. So the user will have to specify the want to fire a grenade, load the grenade, and insert a blank round into the chamber.

For the second post in the last 30 minutes or so, I see something like this really coming to life in large custom maps.

Was the explosive radius of one of these equal to a fragmentation grenade, or more like a concussion grenade?

Upvote 0
In the past I've played a lot of MOH-Airborne and in that game rifle nades can be used, though 100% the wrong way. You could attach them to the rifle and shoot with the rifle from the hip or shoulder. In reallity you actually have to place the rifle on a stationary surface. I think the shoulder would be relocated if it was done like in MOHA. But I trust TWI to implement it the correct way (stationary). An other issue in MOHA was that all noobs selected a rifle just because of the rifle nades. They went for the easy kills without actually having to aim. The result was a constant rain of nades shot by a rifle noob. Not to mention the noobs that shot from short distance at you with a rifle nade (1 or 2m). That really did break the fun out of that game.
In short: Do I like rifle nades? Yes, they can be handy, but only limmited (not for all with a rifle) and not if shot from shoulder.
Hey... but who am I? Just an other noob ;)

Upvote 0
If it was to be implemented, which it would be a good idea especially for fishing out those snipers in awkward high place areas, it would need to be done in such a way that:

1) it replaces your ordinary grenades, meaning people wont have a large amount of grenades on them

2) Have a realistic arc pattern, sometimes these things when fired strayed off course, keep in mind it was only a blank bullet firing a grenade on a stick.

If it's done well, and implemented well I feel it would make an awesome addition, if done wrong then we're just going to have a CoD nade fest (Yes, I said it deal with it).

Upvote 0
OMG NO NOOB TUBE PLS !!! PLEASE NO !!!

495742294v0_480x480_Front_padToSquare-true.jpg

Upvote 0
I guess it all boils down to how it would be implemented. If done correctly, it could be valuable, if done badly... yeah, we all know that route. I'm merely suggesting a possibility of something that might actually, you know, be realistic and useful and expand upon the Elite rifleman class's bolt action.

Upvote 0
I don't want to be a naysayer, but I think this would have little application in the game, other than wildly ahistoric use (makeshift mortars for trickshooting at lone running enemies in the open, CQB trolling etc).

Noobtubing in other games is not a problem of unrealistic implementation, but rather because gamers never play games in realistic ways. I really don't think a grenade at the end of a rifle is going to encourage sensible play in public games.

Upvote 0
Oh yeah! And while were at it, lets also create a class called "Ambassador from America" and have him carry around a NUKE (nothing major, just same type as was used on Hiroshima/Nagasaki)

Seriously people? Do we need turn a game into a WWII version of CoD? You want some n00btubes go play some BF:BC2, very popular, they even have few different types of them. Otherwise learn how to throw your grenade on your own.

Tip of the day, the longer you hold it, the further he throws.

On serious note, elite rifle is using a semi-automatic. Now i understand your scepticism, as lets face it, just about everyone has some sort of S/A if not F/A weapon. But if the servers were filled with regular rifleman, and we'd have 2-3 spots for people with semi auto's, you'd feel pretty pimp being that one of the 3 people with semi auto.

I would seriously urge you to reconsider your idea of underbarrel grenade launcher, seeing how it ruined gameplay/balance of previously released games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redken
Upvote 0
you do realize they didn't have underbarrel grenade launchers in WW2 right? These are rifle grenades we're talking about, very different things.

I misspoke, i meant the rifle grenade, not underbarrel.
I understand that UBGL didnt exist back then, and i also understand how something so small, can completely throw the balance out of the window. Even the non-existing balance.

I would hope that we can focus on fixing the current issues of balance (the sniping weapons MKB/MG34/MP40) before we go on to create something like the rifle grenades.

Upvote 0
I would seriously urge you to reconsider your idea of underbarrel grenade launcher, seeing how it ruined gameplay/balance of previously released games.

Oh for Pete's sake...

grenade_rifle_fm21-13_195206_400.jpg

m31set.jpg

rifle_grenade_launcher.jpg

It's a single-shot affair that attaches to the end of the standard infantry rifle and uses a special cartridge to propel an explosive charge farther than you could throw it (usually). This is not the bloody M203, it's a one-time thing that can be used to clear out a building you can't reach with a grenade throw.

Upvote 0
Fair points made. Fixes should always come before content imo, but its not like this suggestion is so out of it to be in the realms of idiotic fantasy. Hell, just read some of the ideas that come up on the suggestion forum. Some are just cringe worthy.

The AT weapon Teufel suggested sounds good also, but again, im merely suggesting to expand the role overall, rather than a brand new weapon.

Still, this is just a suggestion to see peoples opinions and expand alittle on a class.. Tis all.

Upvote 0
The two posters before mine need to READ, and research what a rifle grenade launcher was in WW2 and how it worked. It is NOT an underbarrel launcher, and would probably take the player some 10 seconds to get the rifle configured and set up, and then must be fired from stationary.
I know exactly what a rifle grenade is, which is exactly why I wrote my post. Realistically implemented, it would have very little application within the game, except for trolling in ways I suggested. I used modern games as an example of how including explosive weapons is just begging for annoying unrealistic usage.

Rifle grenades are in the same realm as flame throwers: Certainly historical, but if implemented they would never be used realistically by the players.

Upvote 0