• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bayonet Kills

katzcinsky

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
So earlier I was playing on apartments, and I ran out onto the balcony at the propaganda house and bayoneted three germans in a row. one not paying attention, the other caught off guard, and the other saw me the whole time and was firing but did not critically wound me. this was all under six seconds. i bandaged myself and kept going (a whole separate problem)

now, it might've been a bit of an ego boost.. but surely i was never able to do something like this in RO1. i think there needs to be a be of a delay when you hit someone with a bayonet, before you can use it again. i mean, if your knife is in someone, it takes a while for you to pull it out again right ?

it's these little things that make RO2 seem alot more aracadey than it claims itself to be : (

Last edited:
It is certainly unrealistic and even arcade-ish how melee attacks work in this game, but given how rare such encounters are, I don't think it will be worth the effort to put new animations and gameplay mechanics in to fix it.

basically this; there are many times in any game where you get a lucky streak that seems to break the feel of the game: for example, getting a kill streak with a chainsaw in Gears of War seems strange, but it just happens too little to be considered a flaw in the game. if it was a normal occurance, then something would need to be done, but seeing as this seems to be more of a lucky streak, not much needs to happen.

Upvote 0
The bayonet kill streaks seems mainly to happen to me when I manage to get into a building objective filled with enemy snipers busy shooting out of the windows. From then on it is quite easy to kill a lot of enemies with bayonet, because the enemy players just aren't paying attention. Or if by a flanking maneuver I have gotten behind enemy lines, the same thing might happen if you stay out of the spawn reinforcement supply line.

But try doing it in the field or in the frontlines and you will be cut down in no time.

All working as designed, and rightly so.

Reactions: r5cya
Upvote 0
I'm perfectly fine with bayonets as they are.

But footsteps should be added, yes, unles the person walks real slow. And even then floorboards creek.

Hell in a game dominated by automatics it's old school to get bayonetted. How often do I bravely charge a guy and he cuts me in half with a close burst from his MKB or hipped MG34. Surely a nice melee which can go either way is a more heroic death.

Have noticed somethign odd though. Quite a few times I've stabbed someone, sometimes even twice, and still they calmly turned around and shot me. Hit detection issues perhaps?

Upvote 0
i love bayonetting, they dont like it up em!

but i do agree it does seem to easy sometimes, wether its luck or i managed to get the jump on some one. cant say its to "arcadey" but it does feel as if its missing something, might just be footsteps. very often in ost id think yea gonna stab you! an the guy would hear my footsteps and either cut me down or we'd have a duel.

now stock hitting/clubing that does seem to to suffer from hit detection faults, quite often youll hit the guy in the head, he'll hit your stomach and youd die an hed run off, or use bandage.

either way bayonet or stock, spam clicking is the best way to make sure you get him down.

Upvote 0
Actually, I thought it was far easier to get melee streaks in close quarters in Ostfront, since a full-powered stab didn't break your momentum, and you could actually melee prone enemies.;)

That said, a shot to the leg SHOULD slow you down... when you said the bandaging/wound system problem was a seperate issue, it's actually quite connected. If that third German pegged you in the leg in RO:O, you would have been done for, limping slowly towards your enemy as he sat back and squeezed the trigger again. I was recently killed by a German after I had just shot his legs out from under him with the last rounds in my DP28 magazine--he charged forward, unimpeded, and beat me to death with the butt of his Mkb before slow-dying. :rolleyes:

In addition, people aren't as a general rule as comfortable with hipshooting in close quarters as they were in Ostfront, so when you confront an enemy in melee combat, they often go into iron sights, inhibiting their own mobility, field of vision, and ability to turn quickly.

And finally, the bayonet is rightly more lethal than it was in Ostfront. "Charging" your melee attack was too important in Ostfront--in reality, even a panicked, instinctive stab is probably going to do nearly as much damage as a full-blooded attack. The rifle butt attack is also far more intuitive, going from a 'stabbing' motion with the butt to a more instinctive, easy-to-use buttswing.

All in all, the only qualms I have with the current melee system are that bayonets do not have a minimum range--you can stab someone just inches away from your face. This means that the only real-world hope of a bayonet-less enemy--to close the distance to get well inside the reach of the bayonet--is impossible.

Parrying of course, would also be an option IRL... but that becomes overly complicated. If implemented, I for one would ask for the option to second-intention parry-riposte: anticipate your enemie's attack, block it, then IMMEDIATELY counterattack off-tempo to catch them off guard... And then people would want disengages added to decieve the parry... then counter-attacks, and the ability to beat the other's weapon aside... (It would be a dream come true for a fencer like me, but how often does one use melee anyway?) :D

My only other qualm is that the Mkb bayonet has the same melee range as the Mosin-Nagant :confused::( Now that's not even something subjective like sway or recoil... just take a tape measure and compare the two!

EDIT: Footsteps would be appreciated, yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: r5cya
Upvote 0
Actually, I thought it was far easier to get melee streaks in close quarters in Ostfront, since a full-powered stab didn't break your momentum, and you could actually melee prone enemies.;)

That said, a shot to the leg SHOULD slow you down... when you said the bandaging/wound system problem was a seperate issue, it's actually quite connected. If that third German pegged you in the leg in RO:O, you would have been done for, limping slowly towards your enemy as he sat back and squeezed the trigger again. I was recently killed by a German after I had just shot his legs out from under him with the last rounds in my DP28 magazine--he charged forward, unimpeded, and beat me to death with the butt of his Mkb before slow-dying. :rolleyes:

In addition, people aren't as a general rule as comfortable with hipshooting in close quarters as they were in Ostfront, so when you confront an enemy in melee combat, they often go into iron sights, inhibiting their own mobility, field of vision, and ability to turn quickly.

And finally, the bayonet is rightly more lethal than it was in Ostfront. "Charging" your melee attack was too important in Ostfront--in reality, even a panicked, instinctive stab is probably going to do nearly as much damage as a full-blooded attack. The rifle butt attack is also far more intuitive, going from a 'stabbing' motion with the butt to a more instinctive, easy-to-use buttswing.

All in all, the only qualms I have with the current melee system are that bayonets do not have a minimum range--you can stab someone just inches away from your face. This means that the only real-world hope of a bayonet-less enemy--to close the distance to get well inside the reach of the bayonet--is impossible.

Parrying of course, would also be an option IRL... but that becomes overly complicated. If implemented, I for one would ask for the option to second-intention parry-riposte: anticipate your enemie's attack, block it, then IMMEDIATELY counterattack off-tempo to catch them off guard... And then people would want disengages added to decieve the parry... then counter-attacks, and the ability to beat the other's weapon aside... (It would be a dream come true for a fencer like me, but how often does one use melee anyway?) :D

My only other qualm is that the Mkb bayonet has the same melee range as the Mosin-Nagant :confused::( Now that's not even something subjective like sway or recoil... just take a tape measure and compare the two!

EDIT: Footsteps would be appreciated, yes.
not much to add to the thread after this post! you nailed it! and the sound of footsteps really are needed!

Upvote 0
Honestly I feel that if you can't hear your team mate getting shanked to death as your other team mate fires in a vain attempt to save them and himself, you deserve to get killed. Happened all the time in Ostfront too. Go into danzig, run into Langer restaurant or West sniper and proceed to stab a line of Germans. 1/5 guys will react while the others are too focused with their tunnel vision that it seems they go deaf in addition to being blind.

Upvote 0