• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Elder Scrolls V

If you have it one a sensitive button make sure nothing else in the background is set to that.
Aside from that, the Steam Overlay has been known to cause problems in the past. Personally, I don't have a problem with it in Skyrim, but it's quite possible it's causing a problem for you. Maybe try Fraps if the problem clarifies and you're sure it's the screenshot thingy.

About the LAA fix:
I only started crashing after I applied the LAA fix and I didn't notice a difference in performance. It didn't crash frequently enough to either pinpoint the first crash to the fix beyond reasonable doubt, nor to make me want to bother and "unfix" it. Now that it's unfixed the performance is still the same and I haven't noticed a difference in crashing yet either. As I said, it's not frequent enough for me to really say one way or the other, but the point about the performance stands, at least for me.

And I have a PC that's good enough that if the low RAM were a problem (and 2GB max, minus what the GPU is using, is incredibly low) that would most certainly be my bottleneck.

So without seeing a benchmark I have a hard time believing people who claim to have much better performance with the fix and much less CTDs.
Remember the same was said by loads of people after every tiny post-release RO2 update, if it actually did something about performance or not, even if it wasn't actually out yet or got rolled back again.
And a community-made performance fix is even more ignorantly welcomed by players, usually. Who doesn't like a Witchdoctor to swoop in with unconventional methods, especially if it sounds as logical as this one?

I'm not saying it does nothing. I believe it does what it says. What it doesn't do, however, is rewrite Skyrim to take advantage of this, let alone optimize it for this. The game doesn't seem to need more RAM so porting a program that made The Sims give access to more, for whatever good that did, lol, to make it able to access more won't help. At least not as much as we'd like it to.

Performancewise, and stabilitywise it just did nothing for me so I have a hard time believing it did something for anyone else until I see actual numbers, from a test, under testing conditions to - no offense to any of you - rule out the placebo effect that is oh so common with fixes like this.

I'm sure that once mods push the limits and the game will require more RAM at some point we'll start to see real benefits from this, and maybe it'll be officially fixed too at some point, but for now? Eh. Seems like much ado about nothing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ugh I dont know if it's related to the large address aware issue, but I've reached a cave/dungeon as a part of a quest that crashes every single time I enter it. I'm thinking it's just this specific place, since so far I haven't seen it happen elsewhere. Sooooooo annoying.
Try validating your files in Steam. I had that issue when I first tried to get to Riften, ended up having to download about a Gig for a corrupt file.

Upvote 0

Pretty cool.

I'd say they put them in there because the game uses the exact same landmass for the overhead map, and they wanted to make sure any extra details that could be seen were at least slightly covered.

In some areas when you swap to the overhead map then come back, you can see the map's clouds from the ground for a couple seconds.

Upvote 0
Try validating your files in Steam. I had that issue when I first tried to get to Riften, ended up having to download about a Gig for a corrupt file.
Hmm okay I'll give that a shot when I get back to my PC next week. It seems as if the Nord Gods themselves are trying to prevent me from completing the Companions quest line lol.

Upvote 0
So true:

75179.jpg

Upvote 0
This game is phenomenally gorgeous when tweaked right. I recommend everybody give this a read:

http://deadendthrills.com/2011/11/madness-in-the-method/

And change FOV to 80-90. 85 seems to be best before it starts to look warpy. Add this to the bottom of the display section in the skyrim.ini:

fDefaultWorldFOV=85
fDefault1stPersonFOV=85.0000

...to make it look like these:

6339295996_3af8a836db_b.jpg

6371449659_cca431f805_b.jpg

6359503903_e2af17fd73_b.jpg

6358199291_013af95ab3_b.jpg

6346016580_544a106749_b.jpg

6355191501_63fa69a814_b.jpg

Source

Last edited:
Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
I'm really enjoying it so far which is good as Oblivion was the low point of the series. So it's a fairly good comeback. So far probably my 3rd favourite TES game.

Armour and Clothing. Still no improvement and if anything is worse than it was in Oblivion. In Daggerfall/Morrowind Armour was split into various categories and different types could be combined. The armour was split into boots, cuirass, greaves, helmet, bracer (left & right), gauntlet (left & right), pauldron (left & right) and a shield. In Skyrim the armour is now one piece and doesn't allow any combinations. Also the ability to wear cloaks over armour is still sorely missing in the newer TES games.

Voice acting. Still some of the terrible voice actors from Oblivion but is slightly improved. Distinctive voices are still repeated in the same area far too often and like Fallout 3 the child actors are horrendous, really cheesy sounding and they totally break all immersion.

Character creation. The removal of attributes and the allocating of points is too simplified and streamlined with no control over how my character progresses. They call it a "Deep and complex levelling system" which it's not. This is levelling akin to Call of Duty. Use a weapon often enough to improve in it and you'll get special perks. Daggerfall is still the high point of the TES character creation. I want my character creation in an RPG to resemble the same way I do in pencil and paper roleplaying.

Cities and towns and buildings are still too small, badly designed and forgettable. I would prefer one well made and large city to the 10 or so small forgettable ones they have at the moment. Solitude is a good example, looks like it will be a fantastic city on the road up. Inside is one street with a few buildings plonked either side. No character whatsoever in comparison to Morrowind where the cities and towns are well designed. Also the repeat use of buildings, have been in a few inns that are essentially identical apart from the person behind the bar.

The way the series is progressing it now feels more like an action RPG along the lines of Mass Effect than it does a traditional RPG.

Last edited:
Upvote 0