• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Rainbow Six: Patriots

Just because a game has guns and a story doesn't make it a CoD clone. I for one am absolutely pro emotionally enganging storyline. If it's a mix of R6 Vegas (1) with some emotional/personal parts ala Heavy Rain combined with ethical decision-making like it says in the description, it could be quite awesome. Of course it could also be another generic ubisoft fps(which seems to be the trend with the average SC: Conviction and crappy looking GR: Future Soldier).

One thing I hope is that they'll actually meet the GFX quality of the target gameplay scenes since it's a 2013 game...but probably it won't if it's developed for current-gen consoles still.

Upvote 0
Another scripted linear piece of ****.

Oh well... it's not like there's any hope, outside of indie developers, that we'll ever see something like the old R6 and Ghost Recon games. These kinds of interactive movies filled with cut scenes and quicktime events is what the average gamers want nowadays.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, that looks exactly like CoD. You're boxed in a tiny map with only one direction to go, and only one tactic: kill bad guys. Scripted events galore. The end was marked with a predictable, overly dramatic event that comes off as plain silly. The only significant difference from CoD is that there is an over the shoulder view.

Perhaps it would have been a more interesting game if they did the following:

1) Dropped the Rainbow 6 name.
2) Make the game based on the man in the initial interactive movie sequence. Have the character and gameplay based on escaping/trying to evade the terrorists in a very open New York city environment. At least it would be something different.

And/or

3) Make a real Rainbow 6.:p

I realize this is not gameplay, but if the actual game turns into this it will simply be another generic CoD clone. Like Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.

Another scripted linear piece of ****.

Oh well... it's not like there's any hope, outside of indie developers, that we'll ever see something like the old R6 and Ghost Recon games. These kinds of interactive movies filled with cut scenes and quicktime events is what the average gamers want nowadays.

Reading the comments makes me sad as a gamer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I knew I'd open Pandora's Box and all the usual TC game whiners would come out :p
Don't give yourself so much credit, you haven't opened anything. I was merely stating my opinion and expressing frustration about the current state of the FPS gaming industry.

If you prefer linear and scripted "games" like this, then that's perfectly fine with me. It's not like I have the power to change your taste in games.

Reading the comments makes me sad as a gamer.
ffs... now you made me go and take a look at them too..

8Y6uC.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think Rainbow Six Vegas was a bad game, I enjoyed it very much. I just wish they didn't call it Rainbow Six, because it's nothing like the originals. I'd be happy if they made two versions. One for the console crowd and one for the PC crowd that wants more realism and a PC centric version instead of a console port.

Upvote 0
Vegas was a terrible game no matter which way you look at it, imo.
It stunk as a Rainbow Six game, because it was linear, corridor after corridor and lacked any sort of tactical finesse. Not even coop could save this mess, because it'd just be two players looking down a corridor, popping baddies and moving on to the next corner to take cover there and pop some more, etc. ad infinitum. The game had, maybe, two interesting points per mission, and those where the forced feeling points where suddenly a room had *gasp* two entrances. Oh, the tactical possibilities...
It stunk as a Gears of War wanna-be, because the cover system was clumsy in comparison and the weapons didn't fit in.
It stunk as a console game, because the framerate was terrible. It stunk as a PC game because it didn't play well.

The version of the game they should have made was no version at all.

I guess it was better than Lockdown, though. Well, at least the graphics were better. Because other than that and the annoying shooting gallery sniper missions in Lockdown that game still offered more tactical freedom than Vegas.

It was the first big Unreal Engine 3 title, so at least there's that. And it was one of the early xbox 360 games so it hit an as of yet competitionless market, which to me is the only explanation why it did well enough to warrant a Vegas 2.

Upvote 0
I wish it was like the old days where you put together a squad of actual Rainbow operatives based on their strengths and their relation to the mission. Then went ahead and planned the entire mission out so you could execute it quickly and efficiently.

Kindof like a real counter-terror organization does.

R6 has just been falling down the ****ter since the games after 3. Not sure why they even call it Rainbow 6 anymore.

Upvote 0