• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 dead in Australia already :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in NZ, and I was playing last night (I might even have seen the OP on a server, if he was running around with an MG).

I stopped because I have other things to do, and the whiny teenager calling everyone retarded over voice because he wanted to be the marksman and he was sure that the reason the Russians were losing was that he wasn't the marksman, was really getting on my nerves. Frankly, I thought the Germans were just playing better as a team than the Russians.

I'm splitting my time between RO2, BF3 and Eve Online. I'm only playing BF3 when RO2 has no servers that aren't 2 people playing with bots.

I prefer RO2 to BF3. Yes, I like playing the game, I prefer the servers without killcam. (I also prefer the games where the spawn doesn't get camped by a tank that can shoot through smoke with it's MG), but hey, you can't have everything.

But I'm still having fun.

Reactions: Welshie
Upvote 0
I predict the pacific war mod is going to be awesome, full of the kind of realism most of us are looking for in a game, it will develop a huge fanbase, at which point the devs will create a paid for version which will sadly lack that realism as they need a wide fanbase to make it economically viable, at which point the tripwire team will make a kick *** mod of the crap paid for pacific game (stick with me here) which will be a realistic version of the eastern front war. So eventually, we'll all be happy (apart from the devs perhaps).

then darkest hour 3 will come out with rocket packs and flying mounts, but realistic ones. And robot bears with lazer beam eyes, even though there is only anecdotal evidence of them being used in Normandy.

Upvote 0
"Realistic" FPS games represents minority of the all FPS games + all FPS games in Asian/Oceanian continent represent minority of the "all games" in Asia (you play SC and MMO games etc, don't you?) = Do the math.

Tho, makes me European kinda sad that fellow players elsewhere can't play that much as we can.

Solution: Welcome to Europe, GMT +0, 10pm ->
serverob.png

Upvote 0
OK, downvote me for this, but this reminds me of some of the RO Mods and how so many players talked about wanting to play and join servers, but they didn't because they would only see a few people on the server(s).

It sounds as if there are enough of you guys that if you actually joined those couple of other individuals that soon you would have enough for a game, and then others would see players on the server and join in... Right now it sounds as if there are a bunch of players sitting in their server browser staring at the couple of players actually in game.

Folks, sometimes you have to be the ones to seed the servers.

Upvote 0
Harry, these forums have been infested with realism nuts who have been barraging TW into going for realism over fun. Even when realism nuts got their way and got a game which is far more realistic than RO1, they are still complaining ironically that its not realistic enough and they don't have the foresight to see that the realism has completely changed the game removing the fun balance that the game had.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand COD, BF3 or anything like that, I just like a balance between realism and fun and this was completely forsaken in the name of realism which is the prime reason for the game's failure. Obviously bugs and other things have contributed to the failed launch but the fact is, people will put up with bugs and crashes if the core game play is good but RO2 core game play has been ruined.

For example, someone in this thread comes in here and suggests that I compared a paintball to a gun which is hopelessly simplistic. I suggested that the MP40 is actually modeled very realistically and that people who suggest that the effective range of a MP40 is only 50 metres are clueless by using an accurate analogy which I have proved many hundreds of times in real life myself which is I can hit people by shooting air through an unrifled metal tube almost every single shot with a round unrifled gelatin ball full of paint at 300 feet per second from 50 metres to ridicule the concept that the MP40 effective range is 50 metres. I wasn't trying to get into a realism debate with a realism nut, I was trying to show that the way they have modeled the MP40 is actually very accurately and this accuracy which has put realism over the concept of gameplay has brought us to the situation where a MP40 has an advantage in a duel with a bolt action at 100 metres which is a clear sign just how much the core balance of the game has changed from RO1.

Kerc Kasha, I was playing tonight at 9:00pm and there was 40 players in the server. I went back just after 11:00pm and there were 6 players.

The point was that if there was only 6 players on at 11pm on a Tuesday night in Australia which was the center for RO/DH for 3 billion people for the last 4 years after only 2 months for the RO 2 being out, this is the clearest demonstration to date just how big a failure RO2 has been.

The problem we have is that Tripwire are stubbornly refusing to accept this and are just saying that it's a buggy release and that the community is going to accept them slowly fixing up the bugs.

Has the horse bolted, I think so because simply Tripwire is refusing to accept that slowly fixing up the problems is not an acceptable course of action when a completely new tact is needed.

I truly hope something happens within Tripwire that changes the way they are handling this disaster because if they don't RO2 will die a miserable slow death which is such a shame because they have done so much good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Harry, these forums have been infested with realism nuts who have been barraging TW into going for realism over fun...

Just saying for us suppossed realism "nuts", that more realism in a game is funner than hokey gameplay that leans more towards COD or BF... Please do no believe your definition of fun is the only one.

Reactions: 11_HARLEY_11
Upvote 0
The main source of frustration for RO2 as shown clearly in the forums is that the MP 40, 44, PPSH are too powerful.

If I use a 40, 44 or PPS on a server now, I make people drop from the server in droves because if you know how to use them, they are clearly overpowered at the moment, I mean I can literally watch people drop from the server because I am flogging them so badly.

Darkest Hour went for the balance that I am talking about and it was a runaway success.

The bottom line is that I brought up these issues two years ago because I knew it was going to be a problem but I wasn't taken notice of. I have never suggested that there shouldn't be a realism mode but the thing that I tried so hard to get implemented but was ignored was that the relaxed realism needed balanced gun/game play. If relaxed realism has realistic gun play, it's never going to work because the core balance of the game has been broken and this has been proven comprehensively by the failure of RO2.

Upvote 0
TripWire didn't even do the "special hug" to concieve RO2 over here in Portugal.
Finding a Portuguese person that plays a RO game is harder than finding a lost kneedle in the middle of the Atlantic ocean.

i know a couple :p

Game has sold 10 million times already and by this BF3 is for EA their biggest selling game, yeah, absolute fail. :rolleyes:

SHIPPED, not sold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just went to play a game just after 11pm tonight and there were was only one server with 6 players on it 2 months after the game was released.

Just for your information, Australian servers are the only servers in the entire asian region which includes, China, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand.

Luckily, Tripwire put in client side compensation so you can tolerate the game at 250 ping, oh wait they didn't.

Man, what a disappointment.

Those of us with a brain know why it has been such a failure, realism was chosen over fun. The funny but sad thing is that many here think the game is not realistic enough :(

I live in Melbourne and have played RO2 every single day during the long weekend (had Monday off) and at anytime I decided to play there were dozens of servers to pick from with at least 6 servers having pings well below 100, and that's in the RO2 server browser, not the Steam Browser...... so I'm not sure what you have been smoking, but your buddy gave you some bad Ju Ju. ;) jk

I enjoy the game, I like it far more than RO1 (but that's not hard since the mod was even better than RO1) and I think they made a very good balance overall with the game.... I haven't come across anybody on any server in the last while who have complained about the gameplay. People who are online playing are enjoying the game and the only people who don't are in here complaining the whole time, rather than actually playing and learning to enjoy the game.

Reactions: Sensemann
Upvote 0
Im in NZ and stopped playing around 3 weeks ago, due to the lack of player base down under. Was looking so forward to the game and actually had a blast during the beta phase. But ever since release its just been disappointment, from the huge patches at the beginning that seemed to make no difference to me (it caused me to be on dial up speed for a week) to the declining player base.
Now ive started bf3, and having a blast, i cant see myself coming back.

Upvote 0
I'm in NZ, and I was playing last night (I might even have seen the OP on a server, if he was running around with an MG).

I stopped because I have other things to do, and the whiny teenager calling everyone retarded over voice because he wanted to be the marksman and he was sure that the reason the Russians were losing was that he wasn't the marksman, was really getting on my nerves. Frankly, I thought the Germans were just playing better as a team than the Russians.

That is indeed usually the case and the reason why the other team does better and has better teamwork is because they had fewer people on their team moaning and wasting their time talking on the mic and more players actually playing. :cool:

Upvote 0
Just went to play a game just after 11pm tonight and there were was only one server with 6 players on it 2 months after the game was released.

Just for your information, Australian servers are the only servers in the entire asian region which includes, China, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand.

Luckily, Tripwire put in client side compensation so you can tolerate the game at 250 ping, oh wait they didn't.

Man, what a disappointment.

Those of us with a brain know why it has been such a failure, realism was chosen over fun. The funny but sad thing is that many here think the game is not realistic enough :(

You will find that because more mature people play the game we go to bed at reasonable hours! ;)
You will also find BF3 which has just been released is a storm to be weathered until people tire of it. Even I grabbed BF3 and just finished downloading it. I can assure you though that RO2 will remain my favorite.

P.S. I like realism over game play. But understand their needs to be a balance.

Upvote 0
I actually prefer realistic games more myself but you have to take into account balance and this has not been a concern for TW and this is why RO2 has been a failure.

For example, I would like to see guns getting knocked out of hands again, I would like to see people getting knocked over when hit in the legs, I would like to see your vision being pulled to the left if you got hit on the left side of the body/arms. I would like to see people having to bandage several parts of their body if they hit more than once. I would like to see Darkest Hour suppression in the game because it is more realistic and stops you from shooting at someone easily when under fire. I would like to see MG's be more accurate, I would like to stop MG's being hip firing laser weapons with 250 rounds.

On the other hand, I would like to see Semi autos be less accurate and have no grenades, I would like to see MP40's be far less accurate but have a grenade, I would like Bolt actions to have pistols and 2 grenades and a bayonet and I would like to see 44's have no grenades, be less accurate, have no scope or bayonet.

Some of the things RO2 has are absolutely fantastic, for example, the way you move, mantling, leaning, cover system (needs a seperate key), blind fire, graphics, sounds, maps and so much more.

The point I am trying to make is that I love realism but it has to be balanced with what will create a fun game.

Last edited:
Reactions: aD.Luoson
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.