• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
I had a great match in RO1 yesterday. People can spit and say that the weaponsway is unrealistic in RO1 (which it is), and pixelhunting and all that crap.. but the GAMEPLAY feels A LOT more realistic than RO2. Bullets whizle from everywhere, often you dont even see your enemies and you'll have to look for muzzle flashes even on smaller maps. You dont die all the time either simply because there are no supersoldiers. A lot of defensive positions with players engaging their enemies from a fixed positions, somethimes for a whole round. Immerstion is thousand times better. Since only the most dedicated players are left the gameplay found in RO1 is the most tactical gameplay i've seen and played on any public gameservers. It's even better than the public servers in arma which are often crap..

RO2 is like ahollywood movie written by Sylvester Stalone compared to ro1. But.. that's what the game is supposed to be nowdays.. so good luck with the way it's heading.

Upvote 0
I have played Operation flashpoint very much. After playing once
operation flashpoint 2 i putted in the cupboard.
I thought OF2 was a joke that Codemasters made on the community, especially concerning the radio comms in the campaign.

"Be advised, at this time there is a blah blah blah."
"Solid copy, whatsyourname. Interrogative: blah blah blah?"

If you talk for that long on the radio they're gonna triangulate your position, you idiots. :mad:

Upvote 0
I thought OF2 was a joke that Codemasters made on the community, especially concerning the radio comms in the campaign.

"Be advised, at this time there is a blah blah blah."
"Solid copy, whatsyourname. Interrogative: blah blah blah?"

If you talk for that long on the radio they're gonna triangulate your position, you idiots. :mad:

Their goal with Red River was to put more ''depth'' into the characters and make them alive. Here's the result Lol:

Operation Flashpoint - Red River Soundtrack - YouTube

Upvote 0
Their goal with Red River was to put more ''depth'' into the characters and make them alive. Here's the result Lol
Hilarious. :rolleyes: Truly the pinnacle of realistic military dialogue.

Say what you want about Jarhead (the book of course), but I felt it had pretty believable dialogue. :p

Somehow they know we are here, and that's why they're shooting rockets at us, MLRs, multiple launch rockets, many rockets launching, landing, near us, exploding like fierce blazing fists, so that the command and control that Johnny might want in such a situation are now overruled by our collective fear and terror, and the now of these moments is a blur, a hall mirror shattering, a shiver of bodies. I see all of our broken faces, caught in this eternal moment, and no one can find the way out. Kuehn now yelling, "**** this goddamn ****

Upvote 0
The language the marines use isn't very nice. Anyone that have read Generation Kill know this. Since Red River is a bad rip-off of Generation Kill, armed with zero innovation and the liar Sion Lenton which is famous for his Burger King games, they did miss one important point with the dialog: It has to make sense. The dialog is intresting in Generation kill. It's authentic and realistic. It doesn't just contain 70% of swearing and 30% bull**** written by a twelve years old crackhead. Another point they missed was that people generally don't like to ride in a convoy and listen to all this crap for ten minutes all the way through the story - which in the end of the game proves not to even exist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Arma 2

Arma 2

Bought Arma 2 on steam after watching the video and since it is not that expensive. Going through the boot camp training. Appears to be very realistic and an actual simulation. Uses map sheet with grid coordinates. Seems like alot more ways to command and control. Although alot more keys to get use to using.

Going to try the Invasion Mod once i do the boot camp. Although, am not sure how many folks are playing it. Probably not many.

Would be nice if company that makes Arma 2 did a WWII version. But i understand their version 3 is continuation of future warfare to include the Comanche helo which the Army never bought. I guess in wargames you can pretend you have bigger budgets to procure :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Amazing as hell

Amazing as hell

I saw the video from my initial post and wanted to check Arma 2 game out so i could check this Invasion mod for ideas for Command and control for RO2 to suggest. I had never heard of ARMA 2.

I too thought the video must have been staged with a clan. But have been spending all morning in Arma 2 Arrowhead boot camp and just completed the team command and control. All i can say is where the hell has this game been! This is the way it is done in the real Army!!! in fact this game could be use for training purposes in the real army, It has realistic Maps with real grid coordinate system, mission orders at the beginning of the game rather than the cattle herd launching at the beginning of the game as we do RO2 without any initial plan, and the command and control is unbelievable, with every command you would need in real units - formation commands, everything!!! Granted, alot of commands and keys to learn to control the unit, but a little practice and i can see how you can easily operate as the units in the original video i posted on this thread.

All i could think about this morning is why didn't TWI use the Arma game engine to do RO2? My God it is all there in one package, but it is not the Russian Front and WWII that we want. And this is Arma2, Arma 3 is coming out soon so just imagine how much better it will be!!! If there just was a WWII, Russian Front version we would have EXACTLY what we want for realistic play!!!!!

Not only that, there is a mission editor easy to use to create your own missions. Unlimited potential!!!! So you can keep the game realistic by constantly varying the missions and not end up playing a map over and over and then learning the map to exploit it rather than learning proper military techniques!

I have to say having spent 20years in the infantry, that Arma 2 has nailed it on how real military units operate. So yea, i can see it has a high learning curve, real army units train to operate as a unit. But those seeking realism, these are the game features we need in RO2. You definitely will not see any COD run and gun types in this game. And you want to see a realistic wounding and medic play, FANTASTIC! Check it out.

I would strongly urge TWI to take a look at the command and control features in Arma and see if they can upgrade their game accordingly!! I tell you what if someone had done a WWII version of Arma 2, let alone Arma 3 i would immediately stop anything i was doing to buy it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ARMA Missin Editor

ARMA Missin Editor

Wish they had an editor like ARMA 2 for RO2. You can add any unit, number of soldiers blue, friendly, civilians, animals to populate the village or city, vehicles. Real easy to use and can quickly and easily build new scenarios to share and play. How, if it only was WWII!!!!!

And i am not advertising for these guys, i just knew nothing about their game and checked it out, and man it is realistic. Just wish it covered period of Russian Front and was RO2.

Reactions: Cyper
Upvote 0
Bought Arma 2 on steam after watching the video and since it is not that expensive. Going through the boot camp training. Appears to be very realistic and an actual simulation. Uses map sheet with grid coordinates. Seems like alot more ways to command and control. Although alot more keys to get use to using.

Going to try the Invasion Mod once i do the boot camp. Although, am not sure how many folks are playing it. Probably not many.

Would be nice if company that makes Arma 2 did a WWII version. But i understand their version 3 is continuation of future warfare to include the Comanche helo which the Army never bought. I guess in wargames you can pretend you have bigger budgets to procure :)

You'll find lots of servers with lots of players but almost exclusively the coop or CTI modes, meaning all the human players are against the bots. It gets boring after a bit. I bought Arma2 when it came out with high hopes the multiplayer with human vs. humans would take off and it never did.

Upvote 0
Arma Multi Play

Arma Multi Play

You'll find lots of servers with lots of players but almost exclusively the coop or CTI modes, meaning all the human players are against the bots. It gets boring after a bit. I bought Arma2 when it came out with high hopes the multiplayer with human vs. humans would take off and it never did.

I just did the boot camp and created a small mission in the editor to practice command and control. Have not gone to the multi play. Why do you think the multi play did not take off? The multi play is what i am after, but just wish RO2 would better refirne their command and control features. Enjoyed the RO2 game i played last night, folks were really trying to cooperate. Perhaps with a little more patience.

I do plan to buy the game you mentioned Iron Front using the Arma 2 engine. Have the website and will keep an eye on it. I love the features on Arma 2: the realistic maps, the mission orders, the editor that lets you create an endless set of scenarios, the command and control features, the wounding system that lets you drag soldier to safety or carry him over your shoulder, the medic class, the armored vehicles, the civilians that you can put into a scenario, animals moving around. I mean that game would have been a better engine for RO2 in my humble opinion based on what i have seen this weekend.

But am also not giving up on RO2. Just think they could learn some things from the Arma game system and looking forward to the mod community fixing things and creating new content and maps.

Upvote 0
ARMA2 Game Engine

ARMA2 Game Engine

This is why i think the Arma engine would have been better for RO2:

"ARMA 2 uses the third-generation Real Virtuality game engine, which has been in development for over 10 years and of which previous versions are used in training simulators by militaries around the world. This engine has full DirectX 9 support (Shader Model 3).

It features realistic day-night cycles, changing weather, fog and visibility, and a view distance of up to 10 kilometres. Every weapon in the game fires projectiles with real trajectories, drop off, and penetration characteristics. As such, no weapon system in the game is a "guaranteed" hit - only after the engine has simulated the event can it be determined if a given shot or missile has hit the target.[citation needed]

The number of agents supported by the engine is limited mainly by computer performance.[14] This allows a wide range of scenarios to be played, from small unit actions up to large-scale battles. Almost all events in the game are dynamically defined, including most unit speech and AI choices about how to evaluate and respond to specific situations in the game world: scenarios rarely unfold the same way twice - although a side with an overwhelming advantage will tend to win consistently.

The player can choose to turn their head independently from their weapon / body, unlike in most shooters where the view is locked to the weapon. This allows players to look left and right while running forwards to maintain awareness of the battlefield or to look around while in a confined space without having to lower their weapon.

In order to make immersive missions faster to develop and less predictable, ARMA 2 features an optional "ambient battle" feature in which the world around the player can automatically be populated by friendly and hostile units who will engage in combat."

This is link to game being developed with this engine: Iron Front:
[url]http://ironfront.deepsilver.com/en/[/URL]

But for a game that is due out soon, not alot of info or posts on their forum. Also, a capture the flag mode smacks of non realism.

I am going to download Invasion 44 mod for Arma 2 once i learn the basic game features.

Upvote 0