• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Community's opinion on map balance

dwhee

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
I'd like to do a brief poll on the balance of the maps in RO2. Win/loss statistics are hard to gather in pub games where everyone's switching teams, so I figure the community's opinion is as valuable as any data that exists.

However, since everyone's opinion on specific maps will be different, it will have to be averaged.

Therefore, everyone fill out a list of all the maps, each one followed by the faction (GE, RU) that you believe wins that map the most often. The first map in your list should be the most imbalanced, the last should be the most balanced. Assume all maps are played with 64 players. When the lists are compiled together, it will show the consensus on which maps the community believes are the most/least balanced.

My list, as an example:

Commissar's House - GE (most imbalanced)
Apartments - RU
Spartanovka - GE
Red October Factory - GE
Grain Elevator - RU
Station - RU
Pavlov's House - GE
Red Barracks - GE
Gumrak - GE
Fallen Fighters - RU (most balanced)

:IS2:

Just my opinion. Let's hear yours!

Commissar's House - GE
Apartments - RU (not by much, it's just the ppsh)
Spartanovka - RU
Red October Factory - GE
Grain Elevator - RU
Station - balanced
Pavlov's House - RU
Red Barracks - balanced
Gumrak - GE (same as Apartments, it's the "weapon" that makes the difference, not the actual map)
Fallen Fighters - balanced

Upvote 0
Map balance is hard to judge if one side has a better team it throws off the results.The way I see it if both sides have equal teams skill/teamwork wise they both have 2 maps to their advantage.So I will list each sides 2 maps (and the reason why)and say the rest is balanced. (in my opinion)

Commissar's House- (GE) too many points to capture (2-3) at a time during the same lockout timer and there spread far apart makes it tough! for RU with competent defense.

Apartments-(GE) GE should never loose this map its easier to defend 2 zones at the same time than assault them.When they do loose it its because half the team out of the cap going for personal kills.Its simple one squad watches a zone while the other one watches the other zone.with the 3rd squad that gives support to the zone under fire(or captured) or even blocking rienf.With good teamwork its a easy win for GE

Grain Elevator-(RU) A and B can be real! tough for the Germans to get past if defended properly.After A and B the edge goes to the Germans because RU takes a huge reinf hit for loosing them.

FallenFighters -(RU) Russians should never loose this map due to they have easy access to the caps and don't have to run out in the open to get into C..and C is the key to the whole map.When RU looses it its due to half their team ignoring caps(same problem GE has on apartments)

The rest of the maps is fairly balanced and usually can go either way depending on the better team.Overall I think the game balances pretty well and usually when one side gets rolled its due to bad teamwork and people ignoring objectives.

Upvote 0
Hard to say, as many attributes can come into play. Player skill, player counts, whether one side is spawn killing or not, etc.

I mean, I've seen times where Germans don't get let out of their spawns enough to even get men into B on Grain Elevator, and I've seen Grain Elevator rounds where the Soviets get decimated even without the loss of reinforcements via the objective.

Upvote 0
For me:

20% map balance.

80% players ruin the game.I have said it all time.

Yeah,we the players,we have our duties in game to balance the map,you know,there are cap zones,there are flanks we need to cover,you know,movement not just sit to lvlup weapons or stats or k/d ratios,etc.etc.

After one month players attitude do not change,talking about realism servers,maps are just tools,if the users don

Reactions: dwhee and Goten
Upvote 0
Grain Elevator - RU - This map is a lot like commissioners house before its fixes and is an order of magnitude more imbalanced than any other map currently. I player mostly on DuckSoup Seattle (which has a slight Russian win lead I guess) and this map has just been a spawn campfest the last 10 times I've played it. It's like older commissioners house except RU had a chance of getting A/B/D/C just they rarely got all of them to increase the lockdown timer. On GE A will stay in Russian hands 90% of the time.

This is what happens every time German team rushes takes A, dies going B/clearing out A and Russians recap. Russian snipers/MGs are now in place on elevator and Russians are all over A roof/body piling up the furthest east cap building. Half of the Germans every spawn wave will now down the second they walk out of their spawn the other half make it to the point and get weeded out. I can get several kills as MG through the smoke if its cover the route to A often just because I know where the door is and where their favorite cover spots are like the tank before A. On rare occasions germans will take A only to lose it again within 30 seconds. It makes me feel way worse than any spawn camp on commissioners house ever did. I've played germans there quite a bit now and we can get A sometimes, but B and C are still hard caps with pretty much the same problem. Basically GE has a lot of entrances and exits, but Russians have finally figured out where they are and how to defend them so it went from a balanced map because germans could come from behind all the time to a Russian dominated map. Russian and German teams that have close matches on the maps before this suddenly have one sided GE maps every night. I can win it 20v20, but I haven't seen or won as Germans on this map 32v32 in a long time.

Apartments - RU - Russians have a pretty big win streak going on this map for me just got out of a 64 player server where we took it twice in <7 mins each time.
Red October Factory - GE - Lots of points and distance to travel I'd like to see this be a 25 minute map.
Commissar's House - GE - This map is either a overwhelming Russian victory in <10 mins or a hardcore Russian defeat where they can't take C
Station - GE - If you can take A and B its pretty much game every time.
Spartanovka - GE The commander/SL pretty much win/lose this map as arty to cut off respawns for Russians leads to point caps.
Pavlov's House - RU - Trench to C means Russians usually hold C/D and win on time. If Vehicles are on German tank advantage can negate this though.
Red Barracks - RU - IMO its easier to hold C than D
Gumrak - GE
Fallen Fighters - RU (most balanced), but only in the fact that everyone dies in the middle and campers win. It needs more cover or a bigger sewer/tunnel system.

Reactions: dwhee
Upvote 0
Thanks for responding, guys! Very interesting opinions.

Just to be clear though, I can't compile all the information unless you follow the format. Order your maps from most imbalanced to least imbalanced, each one followed by the faction that you believe usually wins it. Don't just put the maps in the order that I put them in, or I can't factor it into the data.

Westernesse and Hurricane9 made their lists right:

Grain Elevator - RU
Apartments - RU - Russians have a pretty big win streak going on this map for me just got out of a 64 player server where we took it twice in <7 mins each time.
Red October Factory - GE - Lots of points and distance to travel I'd like to see this be a 25 minute map.
Commissar's House - GE - This map is either a overwhelming Russian victory in <10 mins or a hardcore Russian defeat where they can't take C
Station - GE - If you can take A and B its pretty much game every time.
Spartanovka - GE The commander/SL pretty much win/lose this map as arty to cut off respawns for Russians leads to point caps.
Pavlov's House - RU - Trench to C means Russians usually hold C/D and win on time. If Vehicles are on German tank advantage can negate this though.
Red Barracks - RU - IMO its easier to hold C than D
Gumrak - GE
Fallen Fighters - RU (most balanced), but only in the fact that everyone dies in the middle and campers win. It needs more cover or a bigger sewer/tunnel system.
Commissar's House - Germans
Gumrak - Germans
Apartments - Germans
Station - Russians
Spartanovka - Germans
Fallen Fighters - Russians
Red October Factory - Germans barely; it is balanced if the Russians know what they are doing
Pavlov's House - even
Grain Elevator - even; depends on how well Russians hold A & B
Red Barracks - even; always varies on this map
Following your list up with your opinion is also highly recommended- the more information the better. It's fine to say that a map is "even"- just make sure it's at the bottom of the list, since those maps are obviously the most balanced.

Thanks for participating!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My two cents:

Commissar's House - GE (most imbalanced by far)
Grain Elevator - RU
Gumrak - GE
Pavlov's House - RU
Apartments - GE
Station - Balanced
Spartanovka - Balanced
Red Barracks - Balanced
Red October Factory - Balanced
Fallen Fighters - Balanced

Commissar's House would be MUCH improved if the Germans were unable to shoot into the rightmost spawn inside the little shed (2nd Soviet Spawn 2, I think), call down artillery on the second Soviet Spawn 1, or camp the entrance to Soviet Spawn 1. Losing three to five players seconds after each spawn wave just kills momentum, which is absolutely critical to a Soviet victory. It's honestly the most frustrating map to play right now.

Most of the maps are either balanced or fairly close to being balanced. Grain Elevator is the only map other than Commissar's House that can be called outright imbalanced, but I have seen German teams win it, and once they cap the third objective and hold it the map balance suddenly flips completely around, making defeat almost inevitable for the Soviets.

Upvote 0
Pavlov's - German. The Germans have "the tower of power" building available from the start of the game. It has a complete view of 9th of January Square, looks right down on to one of the Russian spawn points, covers most of Zab's, part of Housing Block 1 & 2....there is no comparable Russian strong point on the map. Zab's doesn't cut the mustard.

Grain Elevator - Balanced, for the most part. The lack of protected areas IN the elevator means this map is really only interesting to play when the Germans decide to actually attack the objectives instead of just lurking inside the elevator for kills and lulz.

Gumrak - Balanced? I guess? there's barely anything to this map.

Commissar's House - German. This map isn't super unbalanced, but flanking is not really an option half the time. You're always frontally assaulting points. There are buildings on the Park edge of the map that snipers can get in and you have, like, no hope of seeing them. I think this map would feel more balanced with more cover for advancing. Once the Russians can set foot inside one of the objective buildings though, it's pretty much even.

Apartments - Balanced. At different points of the map each team gets the advantage of over looking windows. The worst part of the map, the initial assault into the gullies, isn't that hard to take if the team has any clue what they're doing.

Station - German. Once the Germans get passed the first point, this map is a nightmare to defend. I don't necessarily think it needs to change...but it feels like the buildings are almost no worth defending because of how gnarly they are.

Spartanovka - Balanced. There's really no other way to put it.

Barracks - Balanced. About the only advantage present in this map to me is that the Germans seem to get better flanking positions on Russian points due to the Protected Areas.

Red Oktober - Balanced. I've seen this map go either way, and a lot of it hinges on how thin the defenders choose to spread themselves. When half the German team is out on the flank away from the points, the Russians have an easy time of it.

Fallen Fighters - Balanced. This map is miserable for everyone, the only advantage I've noticed is how the PIV can shoot into the Russian spawn without having moved very far from their own spawn.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pavlov's - German. The Germans have "the tower of power" building available from the start of the game. It has a completely view of 9th of January Square, looks right down on to one of the Russian spawn points, covers most of Zab's, part of Housing Block 1 & 2....there is no comparable Russian strong point on the map. Zab's doesn't cut the mustard.

Grain Elevator - Balanced, for the most part. The lack of protected areas IN the elevator means this map is really only interesting to play when the Germans decide to actually attack the objectives instead of just lurking inside the elevator for kills and lulz.

Gumrak - Balanced? I guess? there's barely anything to this map.

Commissar's House - German. This map isn't super unbalanced, but flanking is not really an option half the time. You're always frontally assaulting points. There are buildings on the Park edge of the map that snipers can get in and you have, like, no hope of seeing them. I think this map would feel more balanced with more cover for advancing. Once the Russians can set foot inside one of the objective buildings though, it's pretty much even.

Apartments - Balanced. At different points of the map each team gets the advantage of over looking windows. The worst part of the map, the initial assault into the gullies, isn't that hard to take if the team has any clue what they're doing.

Station - German. Once the Germans get passed the first point, this map is a nightmare to defend. I don't necessarily think it needs to change...but it feels like the buildings are almost no worth defending because of how gnarly they are.

Spartanovka - Balanced. There's really no other way to put it.

Barracks - Balanced. About the only advantage present in this map to me is that the Germans seem to get better flanking positions on Russian points due to the Protected Areas.

Red Oktober - Balanced. I've seen this map go either way, and a lot of it hinges on how thin the defenders choose to spread themselves. When half the German team is out on the flank away from the points, the Russians have an easy time of it.

Fallen Fighters - Balanced. This map is miserable for everyone, the only advantage I've noticed is how the PIV can shoot into the Russian spawn without having moved very far from their own spawn.

Nothing more to add. +1

Upvote 0
Apartements is easy win for Germans if they actually play defense an cover the handful of entrances to the last two points. If they don't then Russians exploit the opening an swarm in and its GG.

Spartanovka is mostly won by Arty spam currently. It's probably fairly balanced otherwise.

Fallen Fighters is kind of the same. You can take the middle by crawling but the commander will Arty you for your trouble. If Tanks are on then they dominate the map so better Tanker win it.

Commisars House is edge to Germans. Even more so with Tanks. Just a lot of stuff to cap before that lockdown is up.

Red October Factory is the same deal too much too cap an too little time. Tanks once again make it worse.

Station is usually a German win if they can make any progress on the first two points. A competent well spread Russian defense will shut them down horribly an spawn camp.

Grain Elevator is the same thing. More spawn camping of the first two points. If Germans can cap though the map is over since there is no protected area they pretty much go wherever so making a proper defense is almost impossible an Russian reinforcements are low on top of that.

Barracks I would give the edge to Russians. They have some good windows overlooking where Germans come from so tend to lose less reinforcement. Tactics can win it fairly easy though.

Pavlovs I think is balanced if Tanks are off. C kind of favors the Russians because of the trench but Germans can reach it faster so its their fault to lose it. If Tanks are on its spawn kill city against the Russians.

Gumrak I never see played enough on any server to make an opinion. Probably got to play 3 times since release. What little I saw though Germans had the edge. Better tank IMO an more hills to use as cover.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Most of the maps seem to be balanced by spawning the defending team very far away from their capture points. You literally spawn about four grid marks away from your cap point and spend well over 20+ seconds running to your point and by the time you get there you're out of stamina. The other team usually has a very short walk with usually better protection and it's easier for them to over-run points.

Seriously, why can't we move up the spawns much closer? There should be more fire fights instead of running around and dying before you get to your defensive point.

Upvote 0