• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For the love of God remove the melee scream

So you run up close to him and let go of the sprint key before you stab. It's not that complicated.

I just had this happen to me last night as one of the last guys on my team in Spartanovka. I did fail, because the guy refused to stop moving around. He heard the sound of my bayonet hitting him the back (and subsequently doing no damage) turned around and shot me. Or maybe spectators saw me and warned him.

It made for a tense few moments stalking him trying to get in range. I got ansy and blew it, when shooting him probably would have made more sense.

The point is, compared to d00ds running around at full speed bayoneting in silence, I prefer it this way, 1000x over.

Upvote 0
Countless times I've caught an enemy off guard and rather than trying to awkwardly shoot them with my rifle at close quarters I've gone for the bayonet.

Problem is as I charge toward my would be victim, for some reason unbeknownst to me, my soldier decides to scream his heart out as if to alert his victim and every other enemy within a 10 mile radius. Needless to say the victim turns around and shoots me 5-10 times in the stomach.

Melee is supposed to be for quiet kills, if I wanted everyone to know I was there I would have ran up on them with a cooked grenade.

From my experience, the scream only happens when you actually melee them. Sounds like you were hitting the melee button too soon. This isn't CoD, there's no nub lunge.

Upvote 0
one of the stupidest suggestions i have seen in awhile. the scream is what makes the game epic and immersive. If u want a stealth kill, u dont have to walk. U can sprint without holding melee button and stop sprint at last second to stab. Holding down melee while sprinting is a charge attack as someone has mentioned before, so in real life even if u dont scream chances are u'd startle someone. Its really easy and i really dont see how someone could be so stupid as to not figuring that out. Just run without the melee button held down and stab last minute............

Upvote 0
i love the melee scream.

I will remember it forever the first time it happen to me in this game.

A german had just came down the stairs and i was holding my AT rifle so i couldnt fire, and he lowered his weapon and sprinted toward me. ARGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i let out a little bit of a uh,ah and then turned to run away.

It is pretty terrifying to hear it, you spin around so quickly because you know that you are about to get gutted.

KEEP IT!

Upvote 0
A lot of replies from people that clearly haven't done a lot of melee.

When you're armed with just a rifle and a dude with a PPSH walks into the room, you want to take him out ASAP, the last thing you want is to be forced to do a slow walk up to him and hope he :

1) Stays still
2) Doesn't turn around

Fact is that soldiers know how to compose themselves. Some may scream, some may not. I want the option to not scream like a damn banshee.

I wouldn't say drafted 18 year olds are very composed.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say drafted 18 year olds are very composed.
I think "drafted" is a pretty polite term for what happened to young Russians on the Eastern Front.

Remember what this conflict was, this wasn't so much two armies fighting each other. It was more an army fighting another army plus a citizen militia. You had factory workers hopping in the tank they just finished and driving it to the front because nobody else was around.

Upvote 0
Fact is that soldiers know how to compose themselves.

Not...necessarily or even really close to accurate.

From all my studies and interviews with veterans when I worked for my Uni's War Society I learned that most of these soldiers were NOT able to compose themselves or shut off their emotions. Emotions were always running wild, but some could handle this craziness better than others.

Upvote 0
I think "drafted" is a pretty polite term for what happened to young Russians on the Eastern Front.

Remember what this conflict was, this wasn't so much two armies fighting each other. It was more an army fighting another army plus a citizen militia. You had factory workers hopping in the tank they just finished and driving it to the front because nobody else was around.

Yeah, pretty much. Tons of the guys were very inexperienced and ill-trained (if at all)

So of course they're going to be making a bit of noise here and there. But if Sheps is so worried about guys coming in with fully autos, being far enough away he has to sprint, why not fire your weapon...?

Upvote 0
Well, he's wanting to be silent about it...but this isn't Commandos.

And besides, there's been plenty of times where someone near me has been shot and killed and I didn't notice it was right next to me because of how tunnel-vision'd I was.

So yeah, instead of risking melee, get your pistol out and take out the multiple people in the room instead of trying to be Solid Snake.

Upvote 0
Yeah, pretty much. Tons of the guys were very inexperienced and ill-trained (if at all)

So of course they're going to be making a bit of noise here and there. But if Sheps is so worried about guys coming in with fully autos, being far enough away he has to sprint, why not fire your weapon...?
I have to agree with this, if you're so far away that by the time you scream your target can locate you and forcefully add metal to your torso, you should have just shot him. I gain a lot of satisfaction from sticking my bayonet into some facists but it's just as satisfying putting a bullet in their heart and watching them slowly slump forward and slide down the wall.

Upvote 0