• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Scoped K98 gets bayonet???

Well from a personal shooting standpoint just the extra weight of the bayonet on the end of the rifle unbalances the gun slightly and makes it heavier at the end. I'm not a weak fella but it is certainly noticeable when I shoot (people will talk about barrel harmonics and gas and warping and stuff but really I think that extra weight/balance upset is the biggest issue).

With a Sniper trying to land long range accurate shots trying to hit with only one bullet he wouldn't want anything that might mess that up and get him killed, that would include a bayonet.

That and mobility a Sniper crawling or lying around in the bush far from the front-line has a larger more unwieldy gun to get caught on things.

Upvote 0
I see your point, and in a way I do agree. It is a bit silly, for sure. I wonder how adverse the effects of having a bayonet mounted while sniping would be, though? You think it would screw the projection a bit?

I can't speak for the 89k, but the Mosin's bayonet is over a foot long, and for a bayonet, pretty heavy. Having it attached while trying to shoot would theoretically lower recoil due to added weight, but unless it's supported by a static object, it would be difficult to keep your aim straight. Not to mention the 89k's and Mosin's bayonets can reflect light unless coated with something.

Jesus H Christ I'm slow at typing.

Upvote 0
A bayonet generally shifts 1" up and 1" right I was told (@ 100m). And they are not mounted tight, so they slightly move with each shot disturbing the "natural" reaction of the barrel, harmonincs...yada yada....weight shift, blah blah...

The weight itself reduces upward kick, but with a bayonet it is not a stable reduction, it will not position at the same spot it was before the shot, so it is an undefined factor for consistency.

(If any of you ever shot with a loose bipod, unsupported...sway with me...)

Upvote 0