• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The cause of RedOctoberFactory and Barracks crashes

throumbas

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
As people have realized, having shadows to low causes crashes on these two maps. What this does in ROEngine.ini is to set "DynamicShadows=False", I've tested it a lot today this is what's causing the crashes. The reason someone would want to have that as false is that it removes the shadows that soldiers cast, a pretty small graphic difference that will give you 20fps EASILY. You can test this on GrainElevator, it makes a big difference. You can also try "LightEnvironmentShadows=False" which removes all shadows from the map but that will crash the game in the splash screen. They might be related.

If you crash in GrainElevator too, and at random times, try turning down texture quality to medium or low. The thing is, if you have a 32bit operating system, it doesn't matter how much video card memory or RAM you have. Most engines these days are made with console limitations in mind, the engine can't fathom running out of memory when it's running the same system on all users (consoles), so when it does run out of memory, there's no warning, no backup, just a crash with a useless non-descriptive error, sometimes a blue screen, or a black screen. If that happens, don't try to run the game again before restarting your computer, the graphics card is already screwed, and will give you more and different problems when you run the game after the crash.

So my advice is, have shadows and texture quality to medium, this should fix the widespread crashes. For anything else, it's probably something more obscure related to your system.

Reactions: PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN
Guys, I've been tweaking an ini tonight that is a mix to fix crashes and to improve performance. To use this replace the old one and in game set your settings for low shadows and medium textures, these arent the same settings that the game sets, they are modified. So the low shadows setting wont crash the game, it gets the same performance as the old Low shadows setting without the crash. Theres also a bunch of other stuff from the forums that can fix crashes and some texture loading modifications. If you're crashing give this file a go. You can delete it to revert to the default settings or backup your own file first.

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?gae1bgm6gxzmtmt[/URL]

Upvote 0
I just crashed on Grain Elevator with shadows set to "high" (on Windows 7). :(

So it's not a fix-all, even though the number of crashes has certainly diminished.

Try the ini I posted, set shadows to low, and textures to medium, even if they are set at those settings, drag the slider left and right and then reselect the correct settings. Restart before doing this.

Upvote 0
guys i tried to make thread but the censoring bastards wont accept it and put it on the forum

i load fine and get to the game but im stuck on a view of the battlefield like spectator mode, cant join teams cant even go back to menu cant do anything HELP PLEASE

I think that there are threads concerning that issue. Use the search function. Try the bug forum too.

Upvote 0
As people have realized, having shadows to low causes crashes on these two maps. What this does in ROEngine.ini is to set "DynamicShadows=False", I've tested it a lot today this is what's causing the crashes.

I disabled DynamicShadows and went from 20-30 FPS on Utra settings with ambient occlusion enabled to an almost 40-50 FPS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is getting weirder and weirder for me, I think I give up for a while. Before I tried your ini, I had about 30-40 FPS on barracks during normal play and 20 during stressed scenes. After reverting back to my own I barely get above 30, and even on grain elevator (which was great before) I only barely get up to 40 indoors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try the ini I posted, set shadows to low, and textures to medium, even if they are set at those settings, drag the slider left and right and then reselect the correct settings. Restart before doing this.

I tried it, and unfortunately I crashed on Grain Elevator after having played two rounds and only 2 mins left of the last round.

Here's the dump file (in case any devs are interested):

[url]http://www.multiupload.com/GCK2TI7GNT[/URL]

Upvote 0