• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring back exiting Tanks

Not only do I remeber RO1, but I still play it daily. Me and the many others that play it have no problem with being able to bail. The problem with the original RO1 (which was fixed in the darkest hour mod) is that instead of getting out slowly, you got out instantly and that made it possible to bail before a round struck. In darkest hour you have the option to bail (if you live to) only you have to open the hatch before you can get out. Most of the time when people choose to bail they are next to an objective, and you would then defend that objective until you were either killed or picked up by transport. This system in RO2 is unrealistic and is being pushed as if it were realism at its best.

Upvote 0
That may be a good point but it don't really matter on the big maps. Make the tanker class unlimited and you have your fix. There are only so many tanks to one map in the old (and better) RO1 style of tanking. If you are not using a tank it will respawn and if the class is unlimited, you being one wouldn't matter at all. I seriously doubt the whole server will be running around as tankers if it was an unlimited class with limited tank supply.

Upvote 0
Huge difference between protecting your disabled tank and running in guns ablazing into cap zones or finding a panzerfaust and going tank hunting.

Nobody (in game) is going to bail out just to sit around trying to repair the track.

I think you missed the point about them engaging in an infantry battle after their tank was disabled to hold the line.

You also missed the point about scouting out side of the tank to protect the tank.

Upvote 0
mm the main point of concern is crewmen doing good in frontline battles, and taking an slot of other cremans that want to use a tank.

IMHO, there should be a system that rewards the surviving creman to fall back to the main more than to fight with soldiers, like maybe extra points or extra experience (as a surviving tanker, you translate the expierence of your battles to the new vehicle you are asigned) that way you encourage players to been alive and fall back to the main instead of fighting with rifles and smgs you may pick up.

now, not sure how the RO2 system is, but IMO a surviving crewman is not a tanker if he is not in a tank, so he been alive but without a tank should not drain 1 slot form the tanker kits number, until he is back at main and ready to get into another vehicle.

you can even go futher and add a minigame, "rescue the tanker" where if you are in a transport vehicle, and you help a stranded tanker get to the main you get extra points for helping your team get a tank faster =9, but tahts dreaming too much :p

Upvote 0
I think you missed the point about them engaging in an infantry battle after their tank was disabled to hold the line.

You mean this point?

Luckless wrote : "they fought for the rest of the afternoon to secure their tank."

Not sure how you can say the tankers manning all the guns on the tank and the rest of the crew sitting outside of the tank protecting it was "engaging in an infantry battle". Defending your disabled tank until it's safe for a wrecker/repair is completely different from what happens in RO1 and far different from what is possible in game.

You also missed the point about scouting out side of the tank to protect the tank.

Pointless in RO1, very few spots to get your tank stuck that you can't just back out of (some craters are a pain) and few people would scout ahead of their tank for enemy. Most people who take the tanks think they are supertanks and will gladly drive them over a ridge (out of ignorance or arrogance)

Your Points actually show why this feature is beyond the scope of RO2

4 characters

Upvote 0
Locking players in the tank just by itself seems silly but it makes sense in the overall picture. You are forced to rely on infantry for close support or accept the risks of moving on without them.

When you can get in and out freely it makes the tank a more self sufficient unit, which is not good when we lack effective long range AT like bazookas, panzershrecks, and fausts.

Upvote 0
You must be BLIND! in RO1 I do it all the time as do my fellow Clan members and get back to spawn for another tank if its disabled. Or we fight as infantry to win or until killed.
Just like my Dad did when his tank was disabled! ( He did not get killed by the way)!:IS2:

So what is it, do you march back to spawn for a tank or do you fight on foot for the next objective?

I doubt your father and his crew abandoned the tank. Again, there is a difference between real life tankers exiting the tank to repair and defend it and tankers in RO1 jumping out of tanks and leaving them behind in order to fight and rack up a couple pistol kills (if they don't pick up a rifle)

Upvote 0
Being able to exit the tank is one thing but tied to something else that should in the game; the ability to choose to have other human players with you and CHOOSE WHO THEY ARE.

I play with buddies and right now, when alloweing others in the tank with you, it randomly selects tank crew from the team and I end up with someone I don't know, isn't using voice or that I tank with all the time.

I'd like to at least be able to get out at spawn and get together with buddies and get in the same tank, or be able to select which human players would be allowed in the tank with you.

Upvote 0
If the mutator that allows exiting tanks will ever be made I hope that some sort of forced bailing system will be introduced. We know that there are situations where a player will stay in the tank to the end beacuse there's no fear of losing a life in game, while in real life a crewman would discontinue any further performance and more likely proceed to abandon a tank. That way we wouldn't be always seeing flaming tanks everywhere. Lot of tanks in ww2 that had been eliminated weren't totally destroyed but often were just damaged. Also it wouldn't take so many penetrations to put the tank out of action as it is at the moment.

Upvote 0
But having crewmen becoming surgically grafted to their tanks and unable to enter/exit it for any reason does....?

If you're talking about realism, sure. Tanks are expensive, the only reason why a crew member should exit the tank is to fix a problem that can't be repaired internally. And besides, if your tank is literally on fire then it's highly unlikely that you'd be in any shape to be doing much of anything.

Upvote 0
Live in the tank, die in the tank.

Fine to me.

Completely agree.

I thought about this the first time I played Gumrak and my tank became damaged... I was thinking "there has to be a way to get out..." But honestly, what are you going to do? You have a pistol...Seems a lot more productive to simply accept the loss, scuttle the tank, and start over.

Realistically? Not very realistic. Obviously no one is going to sit inside of a burning tank either waiting to die or waiting to die horribly.

Game-play point of view? It's awesome because this way there's a constant stream of tanks instead of less and less tanks and more and more crazed crewman running around trying to pistol-snipe drivers.

Upvote 0
If you're talking about realism, sure. Tanks are expensive, the only reason why a crew member should exit the tank is to fix a problem that can't be repaired internally. And besides, if your tank is literally on fire then it's highly unlikely that you'd be in any shape to be doing much of anything.

This is completely wrong. Germany for example lost many battles because it lacked veteran crew members. You can build a tank in days, a crew need years/months to become effective.

During WW2 the majority of tanks were not "blowed up" but instead incapacited and the crew quickly ran away.

Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0