• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring back exiting Tanks

i thought it was supposed to be realism ...
how is it realism if u cant enter or exit the tank at any moments ....
and btw i am not obligated to get out of the tanks 2 seconds before it blow up ..... i can notice oh my tank is very damaged but its not going to explode but i cant take anymore hit i should hide behind this house get out and try to do something from there ....

Sounds like that's when you should scuttle your tank, you know so the other side doesn't get it.

Sounds realistic to me.

Upvote 0
But having crewmen becoming surgically grafted to their tanks and unable to enter/exit it for any reason does....?

You'd be hard pressed to find a crew that managed to escape their burning tank while being shot at and still be in fighting condition.

Generally the ones that are in fighting condition would retreat because they dont have their tank

Upvote 0
the argument of dying with the tank is pretty awfull really.

if the player wants to exit the vehicle let it exit it!, people say tank battles are hunder of meters away, if the player exit how long do you think he is gonna last until the same tank that burned his crew and tank tear him apart with the MG?

personaly, i have already envisioned the awesonemess of inmersion you have in tanks, seen your crewmates bleeding to dead, the interior covered in smoke and fire, now I wild also like to be able to escape from that hell. Escaping should not be instant, or 100 % effective all the time, it should depend if you are hurt (more time trying to open the hatch or crawl away), what was your position in the tank,etc,etc.

just imagine: you get hit, the tanks gets covered in smoke and fire, you hear screams, THEN the comander (if alive) gives the order to abandon the tank, only then the players controller crew can exit the tank, pushing furiusly the bloked hatches, deformed from the impacts or from the heat, and if you manage to exit, depending on your injuries you may be able to run, crawl of just die next to the burning tank.

then imagine the view from outside, you hit the enemy tank, you see some hatches opening, and the crew trying to exit, but you are too bussy engaging the next enemy tank and you let them live, or you just want to see them pay for what they did to your crew members, and gun them down as they bailt, up to you, doesnt matter to your score, because you get points for DESTROYING A TANK, not for killing a player, you already help your team by remobing a key vehicle to the enemy, the crew without a tank is nothing.

if you manage to escape and get into cover, you can deside if you want to continue the fight, graving an enemy or allied weapon from the ground , or just fall back to the tank spawn and get into another tank.

but GIVE THE PLAYER THE CHOISE, as long as it is realisticly implemented

Last edited:
Upvote 0

if the player wants to exit the vehicle let it exit it!, people say tank battles are hunder of meters away, if the player exit how long do you think he is gonna last until the same tank that burned his crew and tank tear him apart with the MG?

Because not every tank commander is John Wayne Rambo. If a tank is knocked out in battle the crewmen are going to flee or they are going to perish. If you let people leave their tanks in RO2 they'll just hop out and go gunning for infantry, which in real life they were certainly not equipped to do, nor would they be suicidal enough to engage infantry with their pistols or limited ammo SMGs.

Too often you have outright crappy tankers who just bail from their tank at the first sign of trouble and pick up an AT weapon to harass you with. You'd think the game was Mercenaries or something.

Reactions: =GG= Mr Moe
Upvote 0
as I said, only allow exiting tanks if the comanders orders it, and just after tank gets critical damage.

if the players survives (and is able to fight) let him do a rambo charge with a pitol! lets see how long it takes him to die from lead poisoning.

also, crewmans where trained to fire weapons, basic training. granted, they might not have the same stamina or tolerance to supression as normal frontline soldiers, but they CAN.

Upvote 0
I completely Agree with SiCaRiO.

You should be able to bail, but an animation should play so it's not instant like in RO1, and only if your tank is damaged, as in you would press k to scuttle then you would leave and the tank would blow up (critical only.) I think it should be the tank commander, because he would have an SMG (of course not as skilled with it as an assault class) and on both tanks currently in the game they would be the first to get out.

Also, your actual soldier has way worse suppression resilience and stamina, because you aren't used to fighting on foot.

If you do make it back to your furthest back point (behind the Technical School or Univermag in Fallen Fighters etc.) you should be able to respawn a tank. :IS2:

Just a way of deepening the game.

Upvote 0

personaly, i have already envisioned the awesonemess of inmersion you have in tanks, seen your crewmates bleeding to dead, the interior covered in smoke and fire, now I wild also like to be able to escape from that hell. Escaping should not be instant, or 100 % effective all the time, it should depend if you are hurt (more time trying to open the hatch or crawl away), what was your position in the tank,etc,etc.

just imagine: you get hit, the tanks gets covered in smoke and fire, you hear screams, THEN the comander (if alive) gives the order to abandon the tank, only then the players controller crew can exit the tank, pushing furiusly the bloked hatches, deformed from the impacts or from the heat, and if you manage to exit, depending on your injuries you may be able to run, crawl of just die next to the burning tank.

then imagine the view from outside, you hit the enemy tank, you see some hatches opening, and the crew trying to exit, but you are too bussy engaging the next enemy tank and you let them live, or you just want to see them pay for what they did to your crew members, and gun them down as they bailt, up to you, doesnt matter to your score, because you get points for DESTROYING A TANK, not for killing a player, you already help your team by remobing a key vehicle to the enemy, the crew without a tank is nothing.

if you manage to escape and get into cover, you can deside if you want to continue the fight, graving an enemy or allied weapon from the ground , or just fall back to the tank spawn and get into another tank.

This, oh gods this.

In a game that prides itself on realism, watching from range as the enemy crew frantically tries to push past the burning corpses of their former allies and pry open doors that are fusing from the heat only to catch fire and burn to death on the ground near the tank would be awesome.

And again, in combined arms games having a pissed off tanker to fight alongside would be pretty badass, I think.

Upvote 0
as I said, only allow exiting tanks if the comanders orders it, and just after tank gets critical damage.

if the players survives (and is able to fight) let him do a rambo charge with a pitol! lets see how long it takes him to die from lead poisoning.

also, crewmans where trained to fire weapons, basic training. granted, they might not have the same stamina or tolerance to supression as normal frontline soldiers, but they CAN.

Totally agree , and is also realistic .

Upvote 0
the only reason that holds up to support this tank bailing is that it was in the last game. i always thought this unrealistic not that you could bail from a tank but that a tank crew would go into the battle feild. see a tank crew is specially trained group of soldier and were valuable commodities as they were the only ones who could operate tanks. so realistically soldiers were trained to retreat so that they can get in a new tank and go back or be sent somewhere else. did pilots go into the ground battle after they crashed... noooooooooooooooooooo neither did tankers.

also hopping out of a tank to defend the tank name me a realistic situation where that wouldn't be thte commander shot and the tank destroyed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is Crap.

This is Crap.

You people must be crazy. ***** the pistol rampages. Give the tankers binocs and nothing else. If a tank gets hit or blown, he's already been spotted, for christ's sake. What' you're ACTUALLY DOING is preventing ANY realistic tanking from occurring.

IF you are one of those tankers that just rides toward the enemy tanks, stops, and shoots until you get blown up, this new RO is great for you! No loss in being unable to exit the vehicle. But if you're a gamer that likes to WIN tank fights more often than you lose, you do the following:

You place the tank into a hide position. After all, you don't want to get blown up before you spot the enemy, right?

You scan from the cupula until you have established that the area is secure.

You exit the tank, prone out, and sneak up to the edge of your hide and look for targets. When targets are located you:

Get back into the tank, advance forward, and blast them to smitherenes.

Of course, now, you can't do any of this. In order for the commander to see, his tank has to be where he is, which means that utilization of cover and concealment has gone right out the window. Thanks, people.

Oh, and one more thing. The only reason I'm still hanging onto this game is because of RO1's traditions. The only reason I'm at all holding out hope given the massive disappointment that has been handed me is because of the hope that mods will step forward and pick up the slack. Unfortunately, the inability to do things may or may not be able to see corrections. Is there even the ability in the engine to get in and out anymore?

ANyway, that's my two cents. I'm not arguing it because you all know the truth. Post what the hell you want, but don't expect my responses. I'm not interested in a flame war. There's no way to convince anybody of anything on the internet anyway, and seeing as this is my first post on these forums, it's not like anybody will grant any sort of credence to my message. Hopefully, however, some people will see it my way, and enough people will stand up that tripwire might actually feel some sort of loyalty to the playerbase that launched them and change some things, instead of blindly forcing down the well traveled road of beautifully rendered deathmatches that rely more on gimmicks, graphics, and sounds than realism to provide a unique gaming experience.

Tripwire had one of the few mainstream games I ever played. Ever since OFP: Cold War Crisis and the subsequent Arma line, I swore off any games that weren't realistic, as I thought that no game could possibly rival those. Then I found RO, and in it I found a game that could provide a realistic and unique experience worthy of my money and time. I put hours into that game, and when I found that RO2 was coming out, I could have jumped for joy. Then, to my utter disbelief, I fire up my preorder and what do I see? Call of Duty. I know Tripwire worked hard on this, and I certainly appreciate the hours they put into the thing, but the fact is that their fan base is in realism, and they never should have shied from that.

Having said that, my intention is to cease playing this game until a modification comes out that provides the realistic environment that Tripwire has forgotten, or until Tripwire corrects the issues. I do not expect the latter to occur, given that Tripwire took time to make the thing, and corrections would require "unmaking" them. That said, I am sorry to say that RO2 and I are most likely going to part ways.

Thank you for your time, and have a good day gentlemen. I hope you understand that this is merely my own opinion and I don't expect anyone to share it. No hard feelings. Best of luck to this community and Tripwire itself.

Reactions: Stareht
Upvote 0
I seriously don't see what the big problem is with being able to bail. I being a longtime RO1 player would like to have the freedom to make my own choice on weather or not to leave my damaged tank. Taking away the players freedom of choice is what makes linear games boring. It was in the old game and should be in this one. They've already added weapons that were hardly at stalingrad and made them optional. So why not make the tanking more realistic, as in human choice realistic, and not what you think "they" would have done in the war. This spawn in the tank and let it be your coffin system could always be serverside optional just like the weapons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The option to scuttle is equivalent to exiting your tank. What good are you as a tank crewman on foot? You are infantry armed with a pistol at best. Are you supporting your team with a tank at that point? Absolutely not. By having the tank be you, as opposed to you being just someone in the tank, you are able to keep the tankers tanking.

Upvote 0

This basically sums up my view on the situation.

Edit:
Taking away the players freedom of choice is what makes linear games boring. It was in the old game and should be in this one. They've already added weapons that were hardly at stalingrad and made them optional. So why not make the tanking more realistic, as in human choice realistic, and not what you think "they" would have done in the war. This spawn in the tank and let it be your coffin system could always be serverside optional just like the weapons.
And this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The argument isn't really about being able to get out of a damaged tank, since that's what scuttle is for.

The argument against exiting tanks so far seems to be it was entirely moronic in RO1 that anytime an AT soldier or Engineer got near a tank to do damage to it, rather than having to maneuver, retreat, or simply pay for getting surprised and caught out of position without infantry support, the tank crew would simply hop out - magically teleporting just outside the tank, spray some SMG fire at the enemy and then jump right back in the tank no harm done. That is asinine and poor gameplay.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all for people being able to bail out of damaged tanks, so long as they're slow, wounded, and choking for air for a little while as they do it.

Saving Private Ryan - German Halftrack - HD - YouTube

An outcome like this would be more acceptable, and highly enjoyable I daresay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
but GIVE THE PLAYER THE CHOISE said:
This is what we want,the same choice we had in RO/DH, the same choice an MG'r or a sniper has, do i run around with my main weapon in my hand or just my pistol?
Would these (and other) classes like it if TWI took their pistol away altogether?
Let tankers CHOOSE how they want to die! i'd rather go down fighting inside/outside a tank than commit suicide,which is so unrealistic.

@Black Valor: The teleporting out of tanks was fixed by the mod teams DH/MN quite a long time ago, TWI could quite easily have implemented that system in RO1, and carried it on into RO2.,but they chose not to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
if you want to magically teleport to a new tank fine....QUOTE]

you no more magically teleport to a new tank than you magically teleport to the spawn as a new infantryman.
Asides from other issues, i take it that the idea is that your effectivness as a tank+crew is over (certainly within the context of a short battle) and therefore why allow this crew to hinder the team while they fart about on foot, or worse still help the team but in an unrealistic way.
I can see reasons why exiting tanks may be good for possible upcoming larger scale maps but it makes sense for the combat that the game currently appears to offer.

Upvote 0
if you want to magically teleport to a new tank fine....QUOTE]

you no more magically teleport to a new tank than you magically teleport to the spawn as a new infantryman.
Asides from other issues, i take it that the idea is that your effectivness as a tank+crew is over (certainly within the context of a short battle) and therefore why allow this crew to hinder the team while they fart about on foot, or worse still help the team but in an unrealistic way.
I can see reasons why exiting tanks may be good for possible upcoming larger scale maps but it makes sense for the combat that the game currently appears to offer.

Yes teleporting is still in the game, if for example you are playing as tank commander with only bots, and you are killed, you magically and instantly come back to life and teleport into one of the bot positions.
I don't think anybody wants a teleporting exit system, just the choice whether to leave the tank or not.
Tanks can only be scuttled after they have taken a certain amount of damage and when the scuttle message appears on screen, i suggest that this could be the only time that you are allowed to exit a tank, since irl thats what the crew were supposed to do (if possible) :IS2:

Upvote 0
Tanks can only be scuttled after they have taken a certain amount of damage and when the scuttle message appears on screen, i suggest that this could be the only time that you are allowed to exit a tank, since irl thats what the crew were supposed to do (if possible) :IS2:

That is what scuttling is. It's the crew sabotaging the tank then bailing.

No. I don't want to see that crap with tank crews playing infantry just because they failed as a tanker. A tanker is a tanker, you live in the tank, or you die in the tank. It's as simple as that.

About the "realism" of not being able to jump of the tank-

Wittmann didn't hop out of his Tiger even though he was legitimately surrounded and knew he was going to die, now did he?

If tanker bailed, they never, NEVER, picked up a rifle and ran towards the front. Hell, the enemy could be literally right in front of them and they would run away. In reality, tankers were valuable, not some easily replaceable infantryman. A tank can be rebuilt, a trained human can't.

I am fairly certain this video has been shown a thousand times before, but watch what this Panther crew does. Lol wut n00bs. They didn't run up and take cover near the wall just to the bottom left of their Panther and shoot back, oh wait...

Upvote 0