• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Some of the weapon sounds have to be worked over

Interesting video comparison about recording weapon sounds with different microphones. Different equipment gives you different sound.

Even the professional equipment varies in result. Some mics are just too sensitive to handle the pressure from a gun. I guess you'll just have to choose the one that represents the sound as you would perceive it on the range.

Also have to keep in mind the positioning and distance of each microphone. As well as the type shotgun vs cardioid/hyper-cardioid. Some microphones will pick up more bass the closer they are to the source of the sound, some like omni-directional mics will pick up sound from all directions and include more echo. There are quiet a lot of factors that go into recording, especially something like a PKM.

Upvote 0
Also have to keep in mind the positioning and distance of each microphone. As well as the type shotgun vs cardioid/hyper-cardioid. Some microphones will pick up more bass the closer they are to the source of the sound, some like omni-directional mics will pick up sound from all directions and include more echo. There are quiet a lot of factors that go into recording, especially something like a PKM.

This.
People need to realise that there is no single microphone that can capture sound as it is, they all modify it (select a certain part of it) in some way. That way, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to record.
The way I would do it, is fire the weapon in an area similar to the maps ingame (not an indoors shooting range with hard walls), then setup multiple different mics for each increase of 10 meters up to 50 meters, then 100, then maybe more.
Keep the shooting range active, Then mix the sounds so they produce a sound the same as the ear percieves at those distances, by comparing to what you're hearing when standing at the range at those distances.

I think I would use 4 mics, record 8 different distances so that would mean 32 tracks per weapon in total. Then add reverb according to the environment through an ingame processor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
At least it's a hell of a lot better than Ostfront's sounds where bolting and reloading sounds like it's done indoors and firing sounds like it's out in an open field. (At least on the Kar xD )

The MG-34 does sound a bit flat or dry, but perhaps they'll take some interest in adding a bit more of a 'spark' to it.

Also, does the MG-34 eject sparks while firing at night?

Mg-34 with tracer bullets - YouTube

and

Battle Scene from Downfall - YouTube

At 2:23.

Upvote 0