• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

cutting off heads with shovels and blowing sh*t up

evulclown

Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2009
...are clearly lacking at the moment... :cool:

I used to melee a tonn in RO 1, once you got used to it, it was great and handy as hell for a rifleman. I'd go entire rounds just meleeing people... There is nothing sweeter than the wild eyed deer in the headlights look of a ppsh noob sprayer who's just full autod his drum mag into the ceeling having seen you stab his squad leader square in the face and is about to helplessly turn around to flee. :cool:

It was great and took skill unlike a certain series of games with some "jesus autolock on knife of doom". :rolleyes:

TW said that melee was going to be elaborate (awesome) seeing as it was stalingrad, famous for the close quartered melee combat but then simlified it a bit which is fine too -- clunky is bad afterall...

...But that's the last I've heard of it. Now with all these videos, does anyone have a video of beta testers trying out the various forms of melee combat? (I've seen the multiplayer trailer with the stab at 1:56 -- very well edited btw)

On a similar note, are there any videos about infantry Anti Tank weapons?

To be honest in RO 1, hand held AT weapons were a bit hit and miss, no pun intended. The PTRD could only be described as ridiculous in how awkward it was to setup and use and then the unrealistic over the top effect it had if you did hit if you knew the spots. Lobbing satchels onto the top of the engines was a bit of an art form too. Compared to the panzerfaust which was a lolcannon. Arcing a shot high into the air only to land on a moving tank some 100 meters off is the pinnacle of trolling no doubt.

Currently the AT weapons confirmed are:
  • Satchel charges
  • AT grenades (RPG-40? Hafthohlladung?)
  • AT rifles (PTRS? PTRD? Panzerb

Last edited:
I very sizable portion of my kills in the beta have been melee. Ask my victims!

A man after my own heart :cool:

Videos would be much appreciated!

How do the melee mechanics work? Is it exactly the same as RO: ost? Please say there's no lock on melee unmissible megaswipe of doom.

Are there dedicated melee weapons? or is it just rifle buts and bayonets? Does every weapon have a melee attack?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I very sizable portion of my kills in the beta have been melee. Ask my victims!

Judo chop!

oypNf.gif

Upvote 0
Judo chop!

oypNf.gif

Pistol whipping a squad leader before you die? We're off to a good start here! Any other videos? :D

I had no idea Jesus was so good at stabbing. :p

The man had a dark side that got hushed up... His nickname was "switch blade" and he was well known in the bars and alleyways of Nazareth...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nachoguy5
Upvote 0
I'm sure the PTRS will be quite better against both Armour and Infantry than the PTRD in RO1, especially since bullet penetration through walls is now a big thing - the 14.5mm round will go through most cover like nothing, and can probably penetrate through up to 4 people.

That is really cool. Walls that are cover to rifles are no match for the PTRS. I had some fun with that on Fallen Fighters. Too bad I ran out of ammo for when the tank showed up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"What a twat" - Alan Wilson

Alan is obviously not a conosur of melee. Because taking a guy head on in melee is a thing of beauty, clearly... let a lone a pistol whip to the face :eek::D

I imagine with faster reloads that head on melee is even tougher in RO2?

There is a video around that shows some PTRS gameplay.
Also, the PTRS is the only AT Rifle in RO2, since the PTRD and PzB39 are pretty much useless. The PTRS is available to the Germans as well, but is under it's German designation as PzB 784(r).

I'm not really up for finding the video, but in it, he engages a tank and some surrounding Infantry with the PTRS - one shot he fires actually penetrates through a Soldier and hits the Tank.

He doesn't end up killing the Tank but another man does. I'm sure the PTRS will be quite better against both Armour and Infantry than the PTRD in RO1, especially since bullet penetration through walls is now a big thing - the 14.5mm round will go through most cover like nothing, and can probably penetrate through up to 4 people.

Awesome, I'm going to have to try and find that. It's a shame there isn't more of a selection of AT rifles etc for sheer variety but I guess in the name of balance that was done. AT rifles were used to knock out machine gun positions behind hardcover protection, especially in Stalingrad so that's pretty damn cool -- I think i might have to blow 4 peoples legs off in a row :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Alan is obviously not a conosur of melee. Because taking a guy head on in melee is a thing of beauty, clearly... let a lone a pistol whip to the face :eek::D

I imagine with faster reloads that head on melee is even tougher in RO2?

maybe they've boosted (non-bayonet) melee power so you don't have to smack someone about 3-4 times in the chest before they go down and get it down to about 2 :D

Upvote 0
I think i might have to blow 4 peoples legs off in a row :cool:

Haha, somehow when I read that I just pictured the scene in Rambo where he gets on the .50 and kills everything.

If anybody accomplishes getting multiple dismemberments with a single PTRS shot they had better be recording, a vid of that would be great :p

maybe they've boosted (non-bayonet) melee power so you don't have to smack someone about 3-4 times in the chest before they go down and get it down to about 2 :D
Well in RO1 you would need less hits if you did the "wind-up" phase with the melee. Maybe in RO2 that *phase* will be shorter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haha, somehow when I read that I just pictured the scene in Rambo where he gets on the .50 and kills everything.

If anybody accomplishes getting multiple dismemberments with a single PTRS shot they had better be recording, a vid of that would be great :p

Well in RO1 you would need less hits if you did the "wind-up" phase with the melee. Maybe in RO2 that *phase* will be shorter.

I'm sure a month after release we'll see a youtube video of someone dismembering / multi killing a few people and taking out a tank with one shot. I'm going to shotgun calling that move the "evulclown" :cool:

Upvote 0
I think bayoneting, knifing, rifle butting, pistol whipping, are enough anymore then those its over kill. Then too we have a detachable bayo which cannot be used as a regular knife, I think that feature should be implemented no? If not then why have the knife.

I am personally getting sick and tired of "ambient", decorations on the battlefield and or gear on the person that is useless. If it dont do nothing, and or you cant do nothing with it, then remove it, its like in RO you have an at gun on the map but its unusable its there to give you the impression or feel for the map, whats the point.

Upvote 0
.... The man had a dark side that got hushed up... His nickname was "switch blade" and he was well known in the bars and alleyways of Nazareth...

And when he played online as a kid, Jesus always had God Mode on:

picard.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing what they did with the melee in RO2, but I only use it in emergencies or when I know I can take them by surprise.

Upvote 0